Art mural walk. Kaka‘ako, HI
886 6 2017-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
brian_b
lvl.2
United States

I used my Spark to get video of Pow Wow artist murals in Kaka‘ako, HI. Iʻll have to do a redo sometime.
What I learned:
• I should have waited for my ND8 to arrive.
• I left tripod mode off so I could steer around branches and signs. Maybe I shouldnʻt have.
• I could have easily procured similar results with my Zhiyun Smooth III hand gimbal and iPhone.
Live and learn. I hope itʻs watchable for you guys. I really wanted to take video of these pieces before theyʻre possibly redone.

2017-11-7
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

Nice job, the street art is great.
2017-11-7
Use props
RaspPiGuy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35594 ft
Canada

Looks good! What difference would you expect with the ND8 filter?
2017-11-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video.
Not sure why you think you need ND8?
True, tripod mode would have smoothed out some wobbles I think.
Not so sure. Walking this steady is rather difficult, although it will come out looking similar.
2017-11-7
Use props
brian_b
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the feedback.

Well,  the beginning shot I had to correct the levels and saturation because the first murals were close to being black. The environment was brighter than the other shots or scenes in regards to the position of the sun popping out of the overcast, so it was pretty high key, and correcting the footage in Premiere just to see the muralʻs light and color values blew out the sky more. I mean, who cares about sky, but I wanted more of it to still be there. Having the filter on with exposure balanced from the Spark initially would have preserved more greys so thereʻs more to adjust and correct by edit time. There again, who really cares, itʻs not like it is 4k footage anyway, but it is better to have as much image data in the footage as possible.

Iʻve used my hand gimbal in Japan and it did quite a good job smoothing out my walking. Iʻd say better than my footage in this video taken by the drone without tripod mode. The gimbal has a setting specifically for walking so that might explain it. It might look similar, but the gimbal in the hand is simpler and straight forward to use. The only thing I canʻt do is fly over a car to get close to the mural or elevate. Maybe if this was a full on production Iʻd alternate between both.

So, I have the filter now, and Iʻll flip tripod mode on next time. Thereʻs other murals around with no trees, signs, or power poles near them, in this area. Iʻll give it another go.

2017-11-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

The video is great, cool and cute street art, looking forward to more great footage.
2017-11-12
Use props
CharlieZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing!
2019-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules