DJI - Please fix the "Weak GPS Signal" in DJI Go 4
18884 167 2017-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans74300c19
lvl.1

I think you’re right. The problem is neither of my devices have cellular. What I am to understand is that without cellular you don’t have true GPS!
2018-6-3
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

fans74300c19 Posted at 2018-6-3 07:15
I think you’re right. The problem is neither of my devices have cellular. What I am to understand is that without cellular you don’t have true GPS!

It is this line people don't look at when buying iPad for their drone.
GPS        Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS (3G/LTE model only) and it is on Dji list of working devices
but Dji know you can't use all flying mode with that device.
2018-6-3
Use props
fans74300c19
lvl.1

So, I just hooked up my iPhone 7+ to my flight controller.  LTE Connection with 4 bars, clear day out mostly in the open.  

Still says the GPS signal too weak to use my position as the homepoint.
2018-6-3
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

fans74300c19 Posted at 2018-6-3 08:30
So, I just hooked up my iPhone 7+ to my flight controller.  LTE Connection with 4 bars, clear day out mostly in the open.  

Install an app like GPS diagnostic and look at GPS accuracy.
If that is > 10m, than GO4 will not allow to set the hompoint to device location.

If accuracy <= 10m, GO4 should allow it.
2018-6-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

fans74300c19 Posted at 2018-6-3 08:30

Does your iPhone-7 accurately show where you are at on IOS's builtin Map?
Does your iPhone-7 accurately show where you are at on 3rd Party Map or Google's Online Map via Safari browser?

Did you setup iPhone IOS to allow sharing Position information with various apps, specifically with GO-4 App?

2018-6-3
Use props
fans74300c19
lvl.1

Hedge,

Yes
Yes
Yes
2018-6-3
Use props
fans74300c19
lvl.1

Are there only a few of us having problems with this?
2018-6-3
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft

fans74300c19 Posted at 2018-6-3 11:40
Are there only a few of us having problems with this?

No.... all Apple devices with cellular and WiFi have a GPS chip that's only accurate to 10m (just over 30 feet) and that's not accurate enough for the DJI Go 4 app to set your home position to the phone/iPad's location. It's a little disingenuous of DJI to advertise this feature when it won't work with iOS products.

Sometimes, if you repeatedly keep pressing the Set as Home Point button, it'll actually work, but your new home point is unlikely to be any closer than a 5m (15 feet) circle. That's not very useful if you're planning on doing an Auto Landing and you're  on a boat, for example, but at least the aircraft will come back to where you are and you can land manually. I've gotten it to work 3 times. I just don't bother trying any more.
2018-6-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2018-6-3 17:08
No.... all Apple devices with cellular and WiFi have a GPS chip that's only accurate to 10m (just over 30 feet) and that's not accurate enough for the DJI Go 4 app to set your home position to the phone/iPad's location. It's a little disingenuous of DJI to advertise this feature when it won't work with iOS products.

Sometimes, if you repeatedly keep pressing the Set as Home Point button, it'll actually work, but your new home point is unlikely to be any closer than a 5m (15 feet) circle. That's not very useful if you're planning on doing an Auto Landing and you're  on a boat, for example, but at least the aircraft will come back to where you are and you can land manually. I've gotten it to work 3 times. I just don't bother trying any more.

You can get a external GPS with BlueTooh and connect it wireless to your iPhone.  Had my handheld GPS working with my iPhone 5s.  Handheld GPS would alert me to text messages on iPhone.  Appeared to be providing GO-4 app with GPS satellite information.  However, I never tested accuracy.
2018-6-3
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-3 17:30
You can get a external GPS with BlueTooh and connect it wireless to your iPhone.  Had my handheld GPS working with my iPhone 5s.  Handheld GPS would alert me to text messages on iPhone.  Appeared to be providing GO-4 app with GPS satellite information.  However, I never tested accuracy.

That's certainly a solution for those who need this DJI Go 4 app feature, and who don't mind purchasing extra equipment for a feature that's advertised to work on iOS progress with a true GPS chip (those with cellular and WiFi capability). I'm not sure how many 2.4GHz devices I would want in close proximity to my controller, however. It's possible they could swamp the controller's receiver.
2018-6-3
Use props
fans980a1579
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4039862 ft
United States

I know this is an old thread. When year ago exactly. But it’s still a problem. I have a brand new phantom 4 pro v 2, and a brand new 2018 iPad 9.7“, and I have the same issues still.
The iPad is both cellular and GPS enabled although I don’t have a cellular account for it. I do hook up my personal hotspot from the phone whenever I’m using it. But I’ve been told that whether you have a cellular account or not  The GPS should work it’s independent of a cell service.
And DJI Go4  still doesn’t work in resetting the home point. I still get the “weak signal“ message about the GPS.
Not very happy about it as I paid the extra money specifically for the GPS version of the iPad.
I do have a Bluetooth GPS device, the dual 150 a day and I’ve been told by their customer support that it should work with my new iPad as long as I have the current software and update the firmware. Will be testing that soon. At least I won’t have to spend more money for it as I bought it already to use with my phantom 3 pro.
2018-6-16
Use props
fans980a1579
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4039862 ft
United States

I don’t see why DJI can’t allow a home point reset and give us a warning that the accuracy is not any better than 33 feet. That would be fine. In emergency I’ve lost signal you basically want the craft to turn itself in the right direction and come home at least in the correct facility where you can see it and then you can stop the auto land and directed yourself.
2018-6-16
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

fans980a1579 Posted at 2018-6-16 06:21
I don’t see why DJI can’t allow a home point reset and give us a warning that the accuracy is not any better than 33 feet. That would be fine. In emergency I’ve lost signal you basically want the craft to turn itself in the right direction and come home at least in the correct facility where you can see it and then you can stop the auto land and directed yourself.

Exactly! There is no reason that the home point should not be set to your current location, but with reduced accuracy. Once the aircraft arrives home, it could be made to hover there at the RTH altitude, until the pilot flies it to the landing site.
2018-6-16
Use props
DeputyDawgAtl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1507073 ft
United States

G_Sig Posted at 2018-6-3 04:59
If you use iPad air WiFi it don't have GPS. What you see on Go app is GPS on drone not your device.
To set home point to device it has to have decent GPS inside.

I read this entire thread since I too purchased an Ipad with Cellular for the sole purpose of dynamically changing the home point - my scenario is in a boat on lake.    So dynamically changing home point is a good option.

I tested in an open park but got the weak satellite error.  I went home and searched all the forums.

I too purchased that GPS Diag Satellite app and both inside and outside I got all 12 locked with excellent reception (I didn't make note of the accuracy).

For the purpose of dynamically changing home point (icon with person) are you saying if accuracy is <10' it won't work - if so that's insane for the purpose of what you are trying to do.

When I was back home not going up in the air, I did manage to get it to work intermittently.  It would work one moment and without moving not work few seconds later.

So DJI please look into this issue as there are many experiencing it.

I could be wrong but in my research I thought this issue occurred a year or so ago and turned out to be a GO issue.   So it's not unreasonable to say that issue/bug has returned.
2018-7-2
Use props
FrequentC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158770 ft
United States

These forums are a joke. Most of you have commented nonsense and only seem to want to frustrate a guy who came here for help.  Keep fighting the good fight Jyunte and good luck!  Try not to get distracted by the nonsense.
2018-7-2
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

JJBspark Posted at 2018-7-2 08:34
Hi DJI Thor,

i am really puzzled with your anwer. why? Beacuse HP is set by the Drone and not by the mobilbe device GPS!

DJI has a hard time thinking outside the box.

Resetting the home point to the current location of the device (using the device's GPS location) should be simple:
  • If the GPS in the device is accurate to less than 10m, then you have high precision location information and can immediately update the home point so that the aircraft can fly back safely.
  • If the GPS in the device is slightly less accurate, then have the pilot check the position on the map, and either confirm or deny the location information so that the aircraft can fly back safely.
  • If there's no GPS in the device, then don't allow the pilot to set the home point to the location of the device.

Complaining of a "weak GPS signal" when the pilot is in a wide open area, with no obstructions, a clear view of the sky, and 17 or more satellites in view, is just ridiculous.
2018-7-2
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jyunte Posted at 2018-7-2 12:18
DJI has a hard time thinking outside the box.

Resetting the home point to the current location of the device (using the device's GPS location) should be simple:

yes, but about wich device is this "weak GPS signal" saying??

Normal at startup (or hover) HP is set, using the Drone position, not the mobile device.
Once HP is set it will not change during normal flight.

Sometimes we get during flight the Weak GPS signal with cannot set HP message. Uhh? This message is shown at take off when GPS count is low and/or GPS reception is Low. Make sense; cannot set HP at that moment.

During flight we get this same msg, why? IMO beacuse the DJI engineers use some messages for more than just 1 situation!So DJI ; re-code some software please.

BTW if you try to reset HP in the Go app at current location with the mobile device GPS dis-abled ; you get a warning "cannot set HP etc..." (how i know; did try that out)

cheers
JJB

2018-7-2
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

JJBspark Posted at 2018-7-2 12:35
yes, but about wich device is this "weak GPS signal" saying??

Normal at startup (or hover) HP is set, using the Drone position, not the mobile device.

It's the iOS device. Don't confuse the issue.

The aircraft knows where it is, using it's built in GPS. Clicking the Set Homepoint icon for the AIRCRAFT works fine.

Clicking set the Set Homepoint icon for the DEVICE does not... Even though the Go 4 app shows my devices's location, precisely, on the map.

If you are experiencing another issue, start a thread for that issue.
2018-7-2
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jyunte Posted at 2018-7-2 12:58
It's the iOS device. Don't confuse the issue.

The aircraft knows where it is, using it's built in GPS. Clicking the Set Homepoint icon for the AIRCRAFT works fine.

Same for Android the weak gsp signal, but can set the ac position. Sorry to disturb your post.cheers
JJB
2018-7-2
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

... And this is why DJI has a credibility problem.

They advertise compatibility with iOS and Android devices, then advertise new features, and release software and firmware to exploit those features. But the features don't work. Then they provide nothing but excuses.

This thread has been active for how long? And still no solution!

I recently read an email from a prior distributor of DJI products. The email said, in part:

"We are not a DJI dealer and have no desire to become a DJI dealer. We were a DJI dealer in the past and the subpar support and warranty process provided by DJI was nowhere near [company name removed] standards. At the time, they were the worst in our industry. While they make some good products, we cannot stand behind DJI as a company given our prior experiences with DJI."
2018-7-2
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-7-2 19:53
If you mean the HP that the drone automatic recorded, it is set by the drone when it launches if the GPS signal is strong. You can refer to the manual.
But this post mentioned the GPS signal weak when trying to set the current mobile device position as the HP, it needs the mobile device's GPS signal. Hope I had made it clear.
[view_image]

DJI Thor: As you have previously stated, if the device's location accuracy is more than 10m, then it is not considered accurate enough to set the home point, and the circle on the map will be RED. However, what we are all saying, is that the accuracy of our iOS devices *IS* 10m or LESS, and our location on the map is highlighted in BLUE. According to you, when you quoted your engineers, in these cases, when the location of the device is a BLUE circle, the DJI GO 4 app should be able to set the home point to the device's location. The fact that it *cannot* is proof that the error lies in the coding of the DJI GO 4 app. As far as the pilot (your customer) is concerned, being able to set the home point to within 10m is plenty accurate enough in most cases and could save many fly aways. Please stop trying to confuse the issue. We are all talking about setting the home point to the DEVICE'S location.
2018-7-2
Use props
DeputyDawgAtl
lvl.3
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-7-2 19:53
If you mean the HP that the drone automatic recorded, it is set by the drone when it launches if the GPS signal is strong. You can refer to the manual.
But this post mentioned the GPS signal weak when trying to set the current mobile device position as the HP, it needs the mobile device's GPS signal. Hope I had made it clear.
[view_image]

DJI Thor

Can you / are you able to read basic English?

I'm serious because your last post clearly suggests you haven't read a damm thing we are saying.

We are NOT talking about launching the drone.

We are talking about using a feature within GO4 to dynamically change the home point once in the air.  There are two icons - one for change HP based on where the drone is (icon is a triangle).  The other (icon of a person) says set HP based on Remote controller (which is based on your mobile device).  We are talking about the person icon.

There is that simple enough? So can we get a legitimate response to this?
2018-7-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

DeputyDawgAtl Posted at 2018-7-3 08:35
DJI Thor

Can you / are you able to read basic English?

My reply above is to answer the question on 56#. As for this post, I had forwarded to the engineers at the beginning.
The update on 13# and 19# were from our engineers, please check the answers above, thank you for your attention.
2018-7-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Jyunte Posted at 2018-7-2 20:27
DJI Thor: As you have previously stated, if the device's location accuracy is more than 10m, then it is not considered accurate enough to set the home point, and the circle on the map will be RED. However, what we are all saying, is that the accuracy of our iOS devices *IS* 10m or LESS, and our location on the map is highlighted in BLUE. According to you, when you quoted your engineers, in these cases, when the location of the device is a BLUE circle, the DJI GO 4 app should be able to set the home point to the device's location. The fact that it *cannot* is proof that the error lies in the coding of the DJI GO 4 app. As far as the pilot (your customer) is concerned, being able to set the home point to within 10m is plenty accurate enough in most cases and could save many fly aways. Please stop trying to confuse the issue. We are all talking about setting the home point to the DEVICE'S location.

The original question was tested and confirmed by the engineers before. I would like to forward to the engineers to draw their attention again. Since the app has been updated for many times, we might need to ask for the duplicated info if you don't mind since we are not able to reproduce this issue at our side.
Please provide me with the current DJI GO 4 app, the operating video (you can enable the screen recording) and the pictures of the environment around.
I can understand if you would not be willing to do the test again, but this post will still be transferred to the engineers.
2018-7-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

JJBspark Posted at 2018-7-2 22:24
Thank you Thor, my post should not be posted as its disturbing the original question/remarks.
Best Regards,
JJB

If you would like, I can help to delete it. Please let me know your idea.
2018-7-4
Use props
DeputyDawgAtl
lvl.3
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-7-4 05:23
The original question was tested and confirmed by the engineers before. I would like to forward to the engineers to draw their attention again. Since the app has been updated for many times, we might need to ask for the duplicated info if you don't mind since we are not able to reproduce this issue at our side.
Please provide me with the current DJI GO 4 app, the operating video (you can enable the screen recording) and the pictures of the environment around.
I can understand if you would not be willing to do the test again, but this post will still be transferred to the engineers.

Hello,

I'm flying a P4P with the latest FW.

I'm running on an iPad Mini4 with Cellular   iPad OS is latest version 11.2.6 which I just checked and there is an 11.3 update.  I will take it and report back. However, i doubt that will make a difference.

DJI Go4 version is 4.2.22 which appears to be the latest.

For the video I will have to get back to you on that.   I'm not terribly familiar with screen recording but can google it.  Why do you need the screen recording - would a screenshot suffice?
2018-7-4
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-7-4 05:23

DJI Thor:

Please see posts #1, #3, and #5 in this thread. Nothing has changed, except the software, which is the latest version, 4.2.22.

The flying field is on top of a hill, with a clear view of the sky, 200 feet above any other objects in the area. But it doesn't matter where I fly, the error happens everywhere. You have enough evidence from all the posts on this (see posts 7, 8, and 9 in this thread)

As for a video, don't be lazy. The error message is "GPS Signal too weak", and it occurs when you try to set the home point to the iOS devices location from the map screen. Your engineers can't reproduce it because they don't go outside with a Mavic Pro and an iOS device and actually test it! Your customers, who actually fly your aircraft do.

This has been discussed to death. If DJI wanted to fix it, DJI would have fixed it.
2018-7-4
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-7-4 05:24
If you would like, I can help to delete it. Please let me know your idea.

Hi Thor, yes please, delete my messages in this thread.
Thanks in advance.

cheers
JJB
2018-7-4
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

JJBspark Posted at 2018-7-4 07:39
Hi Thor, yes please, delete my messages in this thread.
Thanks in advance.

You can delete your own posts. Click Edit, then Additional Options (bottom left of the edit window), and choose delete from the list.
2018-7-4
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jyunte Posted at 2018-7-4 21:54
You can delete your own posts. Click Edit, then Additional Options (bottom left of the edit window), and choose delete from the list.

Thanks Jyunte, will check that out.
2018-7-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Jyunte Posted at 2018-7-4 07:34
DJI Thor:

Please see posts #1, #3, and #5 in this thread. Nothing has changed, except the software, which is the latest version, 4.2.22.

I had forwarded this post to the engineers to review. Thank you for your continuing feedback.
2018-7-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

DeputyDawgAtl Posted at 2018-7-4 05:45
Hello,

I'm flying a P4P with the latest FW.

Hi, the screen recording would record the whole procedures which would be really helpful when reviewing this case. I appreciate your assistance.
2018-7-14
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41483 ft
United States

Same problem here, Just got a DJI Spark on eBay after some history with a GoPro Karma, DJI Mavic (alpine and normal) and a Mavic Air. SAAAAMMMEEE Issue. Neither of the other drones EVER had an issue in my location. This spark? DAY ONE.
I will bounce between 3-6 statelites (UAV forcast says good to fly, and over 13 SATs)/

Sometimes the home point will update pre-flight, but once its in the air I cannot change it (it either fails or just doesnt do anything).

I have a feeling DJI just skimped out on putting in a quality GPS sensor in their Sparks, kind of like they put an outdated, bottom of the barrel sensor in the Mavic Pro.
2018-7-14
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

Robstunner Posted at 2018-7-14 12:12
Same problem here, Just got a DJI Spark on eBay after some history with a GoPro Karma, DJI Mavic (alpine and normal) and a Mavic Air. SAAAAMMMEEE Issue. Neither of the other drones EVER had an issue in my location. This spark? DAY ONE.
I will bounce between 3-6 statelites (UAV forcast says good to fly, and over 13 SATs)/

You are confusing the issue.

This "Weak GPS Signal" error has NOTHING to do with the GPS on the aircraft.

This is a special "feature" of the DJI Go 4 app that lets you change the Home Point dynamically to the location of your DEVICE (phone or tablet).  This is a useful feature if you have moved from your original take-off location... if you are on a boat, for example... and you want your aircraft to come back to where you are *now* when you hit RTH, rather than back to the location where you *were* when you took off.

You may have a problem with your aircraft, but this is NOT the thread where you want to post to get that resolved.
2018-7-14
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3

Why does it only fly in atti mode only then?
Screenshot_20180715-111332.png
2018-7-15
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3

Sorry about that, your right my problem is most likely hardware not software like this.
2018-7-15
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

Robstunner Posted at 2018-7-15 11:44
Sorry about that, your right my problem is most likely hardware not software like this.

Yup, that's a problem with your aircraft... Not the same thing we're discussing here. Good luck getting it fixed.
2018-7-15
Use props
Kaskatch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35919 ft
France

Hello,

Any news on this subject ? Because i got it too (iPhone: 7Plus // Mavic Air), when i try to define the remote control position as the RTH.
Solution suggested by Jyunte in the post #56 would be a great compromise.

Thanks DJI Thor to follow this subject.
2018-8-3
Use props
PandaCheese
lvl.2
Flight distance : 253986 ft
United States

I've literally never been able to set the home point to where my iPhone is, no matter where I am. Go 4 app always complains device GPS signal is weak.
2018-8-3
Use props
crazyray
lvl.2

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-6 23:08
Hi Jyunte, for this issue, our engineers have done the full test on it, and here the conclusion: dear customer, to ensure the flight safety, DJI GO/DJI GO 4 demands a high accuracy to mobile device GPS. It wouldn't be allowed to use it when the accuracy difference is larger than 10 meters. Other apps might not have the accuracy requirement for GPS, thus there might have a big difference of the location info between the app and actual place.

Well here's my test today and I have 16 satellites on my DJI Go 4 app. The following test results are from my new iPad 9.7 with cellular. Clearly, this is a DJI issue.
GPS Signal.jpg
2018-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules