18883 167 2017-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

fans74300c19 Posted at 6-2 16:44
You can see I’m tracking 17 satellites and have full gps signal. You can also see that I have the weak GPS signal error when I tried to set my homepoint to my controller.  

This needs resolved for what I do with the drones for work.

no your aircraft is tracking 17 sats...

its saying your MOBILE device is weak.. you could be in the gps shadow of tall trees or interference from a structure ...
2018-11-6
Use props
warloc59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 209160 ft
  • >>>
United States

Reason I’m concerned for Hasselblad.  DJI is bad for Hasselblad.  
2018-11-6
Use props
BlueScreen
lvl.2
Germany

Boffin Posted at 11-6 02:26
I must agree JB. Many of the users are blaming DJI but if one types IOS GPS Accuracy Problems into Google then it is apparent where the blame lies. Also the Google threads point to some possible solutions which may be of use to somebody

I tried everything suggested for fixing the alleged GPS problems with apple devices in various places on the Internet.
Turning off Location Services, turning on Location Services....
Resetting the iPad....
Resetting network settings...
Whatever....

NOTHING helps. It's always the exact same result.
I see clearly the mobile point in the map, with stunning accuracy (around 2m), but DJI GO 4 stubbornly refuses with "weak signal".
I hope DJI will come back with an answer to my direct contact via email.

This is definitely a big annoyance and DJI should be able to tell us clearly and exhaustively why their app running on IOS always refuses to accept the location.
Until now I have not heard any satisfying explanation for this long known bug.

Litchi obviously has no problems...
2018-11-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

BlueScreen Posted at 11-6 08:50
I tried everything suggested for fixing the alleged GPS problems with apple devices in various places on the Internet.
Turning off Location Services, turning on Location Services....
Resetting the iPad....

just for giggles.. is this a cell enabled iPad..?

I know that with my really old iPad air.. that if the gps is on but the cell and/or wifi is off... it, iOS , will give me the warning to turn these on to improve location services..

so in sum.. if DJI is just using the iOS dev kit APIs  perhaps this 'iOS warning' is being picked up by dji as a accuracy issue even though pure gps performance is good?
2018-11-6
Use props
BlueScreen
lvl.2
Germany

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-6 10:00
just for giggles.. is this a cell enabled iPad..?

I know that with my really old iPad air.. that if the gps is on but the cell and/or wifi is off... it, iOS , will give me the warning to turn these on to improve location services..

It's a cell enabled iPad (LTE).
GPS diagnostics says accuracy +-5m... (without WIFI enabled, only location services)
The more I try the more I am sure it's a bug in DJI GO 4, but apparently only on apple devices.
Maybe the DJI guys did not understand the apple API....?
2018-11-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

BlueScreen Posted at 11-6 10:05
It's a cell enabled iPad (LTE).
GPS diagnostics says accuracy +-5m... (without WIFI enabled, only location services)
The more I try the more I am sure it's a bug in DJI GO 4, but apparently only on apple devices.

yeah.. but that is my point

i am not saying that gps performance is not good..

what I am saying is that if I open a map app or anything else that uses location services on my iPad and LTE/wifi are off.. it warns me that location services are degraded and I should turn them on to improve location accuracy..

so if DJI are only using iOS API calls to determine 'accuracy' instead of probing GPS performance directly ... it might be reporting degraded accuracy because location services of iOS is...

2018-11-6
Use props
BlueScreen
lvl.2
Germany

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-6 10:21

Got it.
I also tried with wifi enabled, but to no avail.
Unfortunately I can't test with additionally LTE enabled because I don't have a proper SIM card.
The iPad requires obviously a nano sized card which I don't have at hand....

Anyone out here with a similar device and can give it a try?
If this can be verified, it might help the DJI guys......hopefully
2018-11-6
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

BlueScreen Posted at 11-6 10:35
Got it.
I also tried with wifi enabled, but to no avail.
Unfortunately I can't test with additionally LTE enabled because I don't have a proper SIM card.

It is the other way around. Dji just use GPS for location.
The GPS on an iPhone is an assisted GPS system; it uses other reference sources in addition to the signal generated by the Global Positioning System satellites to pinpoint the exact location of the device. ... In optimal conditions, the iPhone GPS is accurate to within a few meters.
google.com/search?q=IOS%20GPS
https://www.technobezz.com/iphone-gps-not-working/
2018-11-6
Use props
BlueScreen
lvl.2
Germany

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-6 10:21

Seems, like this is the reason.

I tried the following:
wifi enabled and within reach of my home wifi network but outdoor
bluetooth enabled
LTE enabled (no plan)

and SURPRISE....!
Setting a new homeposition at the mobile device works!

This clearly verifies your assumption that DJI relies on the iOS API call as mentioned.
Should be no problem to fix this.
Anyone out there from DJI....?

Thanks to the suggestions from DeuceDriv3r the probably root cause for this "weak GPS signal" issue seems to be identified.

DJI, pleasepleaseplease.....
2018-11-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

BlueScreen Posted at 11-6 11:03
Seems, like this is the reason.

I tried the following:

no applause or emojis... just cash....

hehe.. but I would disable bluetooth...

I don't think wifi is the culprit either because I have flown with that off I bet its just cellular service on cell enabled devices... would  not be an issue if it were a wifi only iPad I bet...

dumb ass devleopers... always taking the easy way out with API call instead of doing their homework
2018-11-6
Use props
BlueScreen
lvl.2
Germany

G_Sig Posted at 11-6 10:54
It is the other way around. Dji just use GPS for location.
The GPS on an iPhone is an assisted GPS system; it uses other reference sources in addition to the signal generated by the Global Positioning System satellites to pinpoint the exact location of the device. ... In optimal conditions, the iPhone GPS is accurate to within a few meters.
google.com/search?q=IOS%20GPS

Hm. Not sure about this.
Visual accuracy of the blue mobile point position is always the same here, no matter if wifi enabled, flight mode enabled or only GPS active.

This points more to the assumption that some iOS API function is used, which indicates that accuracy may be degraded because of too less different sources....

Anycase, this is an issue that can be solved with a few lines of code.
And if solved, a lot of people would be happy.
2018-11-6
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

BlueScreen Posted at 11-6 11:34
Hm. Not sure about this.
Visual accuracy of the blue mobile point position is always the same here, no matter if wifi enabled, flight mode enabled or only GPS active.

This is just a program so it can bee fixed.
This settings is something I use in most of my flights as I fly along mountain sitting in my car.
That way I can search almost twice the distance on each battery.
2018-11-6
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

The thing is, it shouldn't matter whether the DJI Go 4 app thinks the GPS location is inaccurate. It's the PILOT who makes that determination. If the PILOT is ok with setting the home point to "somewhere within a 30 ft circle" of HIS/HER current position, then damned-well set that as the home point! All the app has to do is ask the pilot if that's ok... "GPS accuracy is poor (30 ft). Actual Home Point could be up to 60 ft in any direction. Proceed? OK/CANCEL" At least this way, the aircraft is coming back to where you are currently located, even if you don't want it to actually land (simply cancel RTH when it's in sight). It's so simple, even DJI could code it.
2018-11-7
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

Jyunte Posted at 11-7 02:47
The thing is, it shouldn't matter whether the DJI Go 4 app thinks the GPS location is inaccurate. It's the PILOT who makes that determination. If the PILOT is ok with setting the home point to "somewhere within a 30 ft circle" of HIS/HER current position, then damned-well set that as the home point! All the app has to do is ask the pilot if that's ok... "GPS accuracy is poor (30 ft). Actual Home Point could be up to 60 ft in any direction. Proceed? OK/CANCEL" At least this way, the aircraft is coming back to where you are currently located, even if you don't want it to actually land (simply cancel RTH when it's in sight). It's so simple, even DJI could code it.

instead of using the API call.. or perhaps even the wrong API call since i am not a iOS developer I can't check to see if there are multiple API calls for accuracy..

but other app manufacturers can obviously code apps that check GPS health and status directly so yes... DJI should be able to do it..

DJI should also be able to ...

make drones that don't fly away

don't brick on firmware updates

etc etc...   garbage in = garbage out... until they spend more on coding and software QA and less on marketing and profit margin .. the decline of DJI products will continue

took me about 6 seconds to figure out this issue.. and even after being advised about it via this thread.. it will take them 6 months to a year if ever to fix it... while breaking 3 more things in the process...
2018-11-7
Use props
jaswrx
lvl.2
United States

Apparently, this is fixed, based on the other thread -- but there is no app update, so not sure how it would be fixed.
2018-11-18
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

jaswrx Posted at 11-18 13:03
Apparently, this is fixed, based on the other thread -- but there is no app update, so not sure how it would be fixed.

It was most likely iOS fail as it was reported in more than Dji apps.
Most important is that it's fixed.
2018-11-18
Use props
jaswrx
lvl.2
United States

G_Sig Posted at 11-18 13:15
It was most likely iOS fail as it was reported in more than Dji apps.
Most important is that it's fixed.

just tried, and does not work.  It's NOT an ios problem. I promise you.  DJI has admitted fault to me.  I have spoken them personally.

When it will actually be fixed, who knows..
Also, what apps are you referring to? Litchi works along with every other app that uses the GPS inside the device.
2018-11-18
Use props
jaswrx
lvl.2
United States

Just went out today to try and it still does NOT work.  
2018-12-3
Use props
Javiery70
lvl.1

Spain

jaswrx Posted at 12-3 10:42

Tengo un iPhone y tengo el mismo problema . No funciona RTH punto de origen el radiocontrol.
2018-12-4
Use props
Javiery70_Mavic2 Zoom
lvl.1

Spain

jaswrx Posted at 12-3 10:42

I have obtained a response from the DJI support on the RTH problem to the radio control of the Mavic 2
The Mavic 2 doesn't support this function at present, Mavic 2 has no dynamic RTH function, and this switch will be hidden in the next DJI GO 4 version.
2018-12-5
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Javiery70_Mavic2 Zoom Posted at 12-5 10:33
I have obtained a response from the DJI support on the RTH problem to the radio control of the Mavic 2
The Mavic 2 doesn't support this function at present, Mavic 2 has no dynamic RTH function, and this switch will be hidden in the next DJI GO 4 version.

So in other words, DJI left a broken function in their GO 4 app for months, perhaps longer, more and more people started calling them out on it, and instead of telling their developers to fix the issue, or hire one of the MANY iOS developers out there who knows how to code apps to work properly with the GPS API’s in iOS, they decided to put out a BS story that “Oh, the M2 line doesn’t actually support this, so we’re going to hide it”, what a load of crap!
2018-12-5
Use props
jaswrx
lvl.2
United States

Not sure why DJI clamis the Mavic 2 does not have this feature.  The Mavic 2, unless on an update otherwise DOES have this feature.
The R2H is software feature that is part of all DJI drones.
2018-12-30
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

my only solution for the way i fly is borrow a family phone if its better to get a better gps connection
2018-12-31
Use props
Dazzler24
lvl.1
Flight distance : 397 ft
Australia

Bozora Posted at 2018-10-19 02:40
Hi all

I just found a quick fix on the freaking "Weak GPS" try the following

I too am cursed with the GPS too weak issue and have tried 'everything' to get it to work with no luck other than Bozora's 'fix'.
My experience is exactly as Bozoras.  I unplug the device, wait a few seconds, plug back in, use the set home point to me (device) location and it opens the window (like you would expect it to do if working correctly) then I can update the new home point to the controller.
Unfortunately I have to do it everytime I move to a new location (as Bozora has indicated) but better than no option at all.
Not ideal but hopefully this throws some light on the possible problem for DJI or other software gurus who have insights into the inner workings?!

FWIW here is my hardware & software setup:-
ipad 6th gen - latest ios as of today 12.1.1
Mavic 2 zoom - latest firmware
Date: 2018.11.22
Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.02.00
DJI GO 4 App iOS: v4.3.5

Hope this helps?!
2019-1-21
Use props
Dazzler24
lvl.1
Australia

Sorry, here is the rest of Bozora's 'fix':-

Hi all

I just found a quick fix on the freaking "Weak GPS" try the following

1. Take off your drone -  aint no matter if its csc or auto takeoff
2. Fly forward a little and hover. (or just hover near you, just to be on the safe side))
3. Move yourself to a different location
4. Unplug the black cable from you phone  (the connector end that attached to the controller)
5. Reconnect the plug/connector
6. go tap on the human icon
7.VOILA!!!!!! CONTROLLER LOCATION IS SET!!!!

EACH TIME YOU WANT TO SET NEW CONTROLLER LOCATION ....JUST PLUG OUT THEN PLUG IN. WORKS ALL THE TIME FOR NOW TILL DJI UPDATE THE APP
2019-1-21
Use props
Dazzler24
lvl.1
Australia

Ok, just did some further tests.  This time with two different Android devices and here are my results:-

Note that both devices are running dji go 4  - 4.3.11
Both devices in Airplane mode

1. Samsung Galaxy S7 edge - faultless.  Always had the blue dot in the map (indicating accuracy) and I could always update to the device position every time.
2. Samsung galaxy tab S3 - hit and miss.  Sometimes had the blue dot on the map and this is when I could set the new home point but often would go to a red dot and this is when I'm getting the weak signal issue.
Also as a side note the ios device (ipad) always has the blue dot in the map but still throws up the weak signal issue?! - But can be 'fixed' with the unplug/replug method as mentioned above.

Don't know if this helps or just muddies the water further.  Any thoughts?
2019-1-21
Use props
BlueScreen
lvl.2
Germany

Has anyone here checked out if the weird "weak GPS signal" bug on iOS devices is finally gone with the latest updates of DJIGO4 and of the bird?
I don't have a chance to test it right now....but dynamic homepoints are very essential for me.
2019-1-25
Use props
Dazzler24
lvl.1
Australia

BlueScreen Posted at 1-25 07:29
Has anyone here checked out if the weird "weak GPS signal" bug on iOS devices is finally gone with the latest updates of DJIGO4 and of the bird?
I don't have a chance to test it right now....but dynamic homepoints are very essential for me.

Haven't had a chance to check yet but will do on Monday.  I'm not too hopeful though as the list of fixes/updates have no mention of this issue but hey...  I'm always hopeful!
I'll report here my findings unless someone else beats me to it between now and then.
2019-1-25
Use props
Dazzler24
lvl.1
Australia

Dazzler24 Posted at 1-25 18:28
Haven't had a chance to check yet but will do on Monday.  I'm not too hopeful though as the list of fixes/updates have no mention of this issue but hey...  I'm always hopeful!
I'll report here my findings unless someone else beats me to it between now and then.

I'm a couple of days late to report but as expected (unfortunately) the weak GPS issue remains after the update. .

2019-1-29
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

If DJI wants access to Apple Geolocation Services iphone advertising strategy then maybe they have to pay for it like any other  business. Check out paragraph 4 of the link - Devices.

Being linked to cellular towers not only pinpoints your location, it also allows Apple and their paid advertisers to pinpoint you (for a fee)
2019-1-29
Use props
BlueScreen
lvl.2
Germany

Dazzler24 Posted at 1-29 17:09
I'm a couple of days late to report but as expected (unfortunately) the weak GPS issue remains after the update. .

Thanks for the report!
Sad news.... I will try with my bird as soon as possible too.
Seems, we need to increase the pressure on DJI....or use another app.
2019-2-6
Use props
der_Mechaniker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 178179 ft
United States

I’ve got the Weak GPS bug even when my iPhone or cellular iPad is connected via Bluetooth to my Dual XGPS160 GPS device. I use the Dual all the time with Gaia GPS on iOS for overlanding navigation and it provides extremely accurate GPS positioning.

There is clearly more than one way to call for GPS data via iOS and DJI GO 4 must not be tapping directly into it.

Frustrating, for sure.
2019-2-19
Use props
BlueScreen
lvl.2
Germany

Even the latest DJI GO 4 4.3.16 for apple devices doesn't solve that issue on an iPad 4 mini cellular.

"GPS signal weak" all the time.

And the report from "der_Mechaniker" is even more frustrating, because I considered buying an external GPS device and connect it to the iPad.....

Has anyone tried with an activated data plan inserted in the iPad4?
If that helps, it would be an alternative but only if in range of cellular network...what if I am far off in the wild with no cellular network available....?
2019-4-19
Use props
DeputyDawgAtl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1507073 ft
United States

What is sad, this thread (just one of many) has been going on since 2017, nearly 2 years ago.

I don't see one HINT from DJI that they are taking this even remotely serious.   Typical of them not to listen to their user base

Come on DJI (DJI Thor) give us something!!!
2019-4-20
Use props
BlueScreen
lvl.2
Germany

Just contacted my DJI support contact again with a reminder on this still unsolved annoying issue.
If DJI is not willing to fix this in due time, then I would insist on getting my money back, because this is clearly a bug of a promised and sold feature and not acceptable.
For the moment I am very unsatisfied and would not recommend DJI drones if you need to change the homepoint during flight.

EDIT:

Just received an email from the support. They recommended using a compatible mobile device from their list....
Seems like the customers are to get the runaround....
I told them, that I am using an iPad 4 mini which IS on their list and thus demanding the fix of this annoying bug ASAP.

I can only recommend that all affected users should increase the pressure on DJI by contacting the support and complaining about this BUG....
Sigh.

2019-4-20
Use props
Drone34
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84091 ft
United States

BlueScreen Posted at 4-20 06:12
Just contacted my DJI support contact again with a reminder on this still unsolved annoying issue.
If DJI is not willing to fix this in due time, then I would insist on getting my money back, because this is clearly a bug of a promised and sold feature and not acceptable.
For the moment I am very unsatisfied and would not recommend DJI drones if you need to change the homepoint during flight.

Same issue with iPhone 8+ running IOS 12.3.1 and Go4 running 4.3.18
2019-6-7
Use props
Drone34
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84091 ft
United States

Drone34 Posted at 6-7 04:28
Same issue with iPhone 8+ running IOS 12.3.1 and Go4 running 4.3.18

Still having this issue.  Any response from DJI?
2019-7-3
Use props
High Altitude
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2106545 ft
United States

Just a quick reply, I wanted to thank Jyunte for the details and time First Officer spent on this issue. I’ve settled on using an iPad Mini but have also have this same unresolved issue using my iPad Pro and iPhone 6.
2019-8-10
Use props
High Altitude
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2106545 ft
United States

JustViewerFun Posted at 2017-11-14 22:45
This has been a problem not just on Go4, but the prior Go3 app.  I tested Follow Me with both and had the same results.  Then, a while back I came across either a forum post, or a video (I can't remember which one) that explained the way around this was to connect a bluetooth GPS receiver to your mobile device.  I haven't shelled out the $$ for one yet, but I think that just might do the trick.
This is the one the guy was using:

Has anyone purchased this or a similar external GPS device and put this to the test? I’d rather not shell out the $150 and deal with returning it if someone else has already tried to learn it doesn’t fix this issue. Thanks.
2019-8-10
Use props
wanderwell6
New

Ukraine

thanks for sharing
2019-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules