Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
VPS advice
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
grizzo74
New
United Kingdom

grizzo74
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi all,
I am a novice Phantom3 adv pilot and am yet to take my first flight. As I am worried about crashing my nice shiny new drone I have fitted the Hubsan parachute to the rear of the phantom. I have ensured the parachute canister does not sit directly under the vps ultrasonic sensors but am worried the sonics may still bounce off the parachute canister.
There is a clear line of sight directly vertically below all the vps sensors but have read about others having problems of sonics bouncing off gimble guards.
If the ultrasonic sensors detect / bounce off my parachute what effect will it have on the flight?
Will it think it’s at ground level and shoot off upwards?
Will I lose control? Can I turn off the vps?
Thanks for any advice.

2017-11-7
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Interested in the item.

You say Hubsan ? Which is a 'budget quad' company ....

Is the Parachute system designed for the P3 or have you modified to fit it ?

Photos would be nice to see.

On the subject of VPS .. on the P3 A / P ... the VPS is a vertical unit only unlike the P4 which has forward sensing as well. But already we have had incidents in our club when strobes etc. have been fitted ...

Given that the VPS is a close to ground system .... why not switch it off ? If you are using a Parachute - that will need far more height than the VPS works at to deploy and be useful ... just my thoughts.
Nigel
2017-11-8
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I am worried about crashing my nice shiny new drone I have fitted the Hubsan parachute to the rear of the phantom.

The most effective crash prevention is to fly in a large open area well away from obstructions.
Most crashes are due to flying too close to trees and buildings.

Fall-from-the-sky incidents are quite rare and when they happen, are often due to flying with a partially discharged battery.
Handicapping your Phantom every flight with the parachute system seems a high price to pay against the extremely low probability of it ever being used.

The VPS system is of farily limited use so it's no problem to disable it in the app.
2017-11-8
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Exactly ... L and I rarely agree - but here we do. The incidents of actually falling from sky are very rare ...

In fact only one I know of is when a guys prop span off .... and then the AC went into crazy antics ! He admitted after that he hadn't 'pinched tight' the props before takeoff and only after few seconds of flight - he did a violent stop.
To be honest - I don't think a Parachute would have been any use as the AC was tumbling / flipping and so crazy - I would expect a Parachute to tangle in the frame.

The VPS is virtually useless for us unless near to ground. But any item that may be 'caught' in line of sensors has risk of triggering reaction. But I would think it would need to be more than just a single split second sight. Again only speculation.

As L and I suggest - switch it off .... unless flying indoors or purposely low - then its not needed at all.

Nigel
2017-11-8
Use props
HWCM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

It would probably be best to take that parachute off of the Phantom.
2017-11-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I don't think it is a good idea to add the parachute. I would recommend you to read the user manuals for several times, then take out the drone and practice in a low altitude until you get the confidence.
2017-11-9
Use props
grizzo74
New
United Kingdom

Thanks all for your advice. I modified the Hubsan parachute brackets  to fit the P3 but have decided to remove it and see how I get on.
2017-11-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

grizzo74 Posted at 2017-11-18 16:49
Thanks all for your advice. I modified the Hubsan parachute brackets  to fit the P3 but have decided to remove it and see how I get on.

How do you fire the parachute? If the props are not stopped before the parachute is deployed, you will end up with a mess of tangle parachute and props and it will crash anyway.
2017-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules