Changing RC's Wheel Function
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cnqz
New

Turkey

Hi everyone, I'm a new user from Turkey. I wanna buy a p3 advanced these days and watching flight, tutorial videos for a while. My question is; -searched the answer on internet but couldn't find it- I'm disabled from left arm/hand. I'm able to use the left controller stick but it's hard for me to use the left wheel in front of the rc (gimbal wheel) at the same time. Is it possible to change the functions between the right wheel and left? I guess right one is less necessary to use during the flight, gimbal is more important. Also I learnt there are some controller modes like 1-2-3-custom... When you change it, does it also change the wheels between each other?

Thank you...
2017-11-8
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha cnqz,

There are some options for custom setings, but the two wheels are designed differently.  The left wheel is purely for rolling, the right wheel rolls and it can be pushed down like a button to go between camera settings so they are not customizable.  But, there are other ways to solve your problem.

DJI sells lanyards so you can hang the Remote Controller from your neck.  This frees up your hands and fingers so you can get creative with complex flight and recording maneuvers.  They also sell a harness that really holds the Remote Controller tight (I added an extra strap to make it even tighter).  These supports can be used standing and sitting.

I also have a fold out beach chair with arm rests (and a little canopy would you believe) that allow me to put a board across to rest the remote controller on.  I still use the lanyard or harness for better stability.  You can also sit at a table (picnic table?) and rest the Remote Controller on it for maximum control.

What you can do with these set-ups is use your left fingers/hand to control the left stick while you reach across with your right hand/fingers to control the wheel.  Alternatively, and without knowing your specific disability, you can use the side (or back) of your left hand to control the wheel while you use the right hand to move the stick.  There are many other creative ways you can manage the Remote Controller to meet your needs.

One PANning device I made actually goes on the threaded shaft of the stick and then you screw the knobs on to keep it in place.  There are two knobs and an attachment can be made to go between the knobs and tightened down securely.  This would allow you to move the stick with your wrist or palm off to the side.  If you make the attachment with a loop or hole, you can put a finger through it for better control.

There are also Intelligent Flight Modes that you can use to fly the Phantom while you operate the camera controls.  They are very helpful.  The settings for the wheels and sticks also help manage control issues so you can get a much smoother movement.  Look up the EXPO settings for the sticks for an example.  The left wheel even has two settings to help get smoother tilts.

Hopefully you will get your P3 Advanced and figure out how to get it in the air.  If you have any other questions or problems, take a photo or make a video of the problem and post it here (you may have to open up a YouTube Channel first).  Flying DJI products is a Do It Yourself (DIY) kind of hobby so solving the problems that come up is what makes it so much fun.

Keep in touch!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-11-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Agree with 2#. The wheel function can not be changed, but Cetacean's suggestion should be helpful. If you have more questions, please feel free to contact us. We'll be here for help.
2017-11-9
Use props
cnqz
New

Turkey

I appreciate it, thank you all.
2017-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules