New Android Update - DON'T DO IT.
2097 28 2017-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MarkNil
lvl.1
Flight distance : 763045 ft

United States

If your Samsung tablet is driving you nuts trying to get you to update to the new version of Android Don't or you wont be flying with the Go App anytime soon. After I did the update to 7.1.1 the DJI Go App will not stay running for more then 10 Secs. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and even reverting back to an earlier version and no luck it just keeps crashing. I had a bad feeling while I was doing it but did it anyway now i'm paying the price. Does anybody know how to revert back to the previous version of Android? Thanks to all and Happy Flying.
2017-11-8
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
Flight distance : 135299 ft
United States

You should be able to do a factory reset.

Edit to add link;
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00046364/
2017-11-8
Use props
MarkNil
lvl.1

United States

I did that it doesn't revert the Android version back to the version that was on the Tab E when I bought it.
2017-11-8
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
United States

MarkNil Posted at 2017-11-8 17:17
I did that it doesn't revert the Android version back to the version that was on the Tab E when I bought it.

That's strange, factory reset should take it back to the way it was when you purchased it.
2017-11-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yeah, this has been discussed.  I think many of the regulars on this site know not to upgrade to the level 7 android OS.  

Thanks for posting.  
2017-11-8
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
United States

Phantom One Posted at 2017-11-8 17:19
That's strange, factory reset should take it back to the way it was when you purchased it.

It even says that in the directions;

" The process may take a few minutes while your device removes your personal data and restores the Android platform to its original state. "
2017-11-8
Use props
LarBear360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63537 ft
United States

Thanks for the heads up. I have an NVIDIA Shiled K1 running 7.0. I would love to roll it back to 6 but it's over my head. There are multiple threads and YouTube videos on the roll-back process. Not for the timid.
2017-11-8
Use props
allanpm
New
Flight distance : 91411 ft
Costa Rica

I have the same problem, but my cellphone is Huawei Mate 9. The aplication don´t run.  Before at the update GO ran perfectly.
2017-11-8
Use props
socalpi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46102 ft
United States

Phantom One Posted at 2017-11-8 17:21
It even says that in the directions;

" The process may take a few minutes while your device removes your personal data and restores the Android platform to its original state. "

When you update, it flashes the ROM, and will not revert unless you jailbreak it and re-flash to an earlier version... The restore only restores the applications to when you purchased it, not the system.
2017-11-8
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

Phantom One Posted at 2017-11-8 17:19

It does not work that way. You can not restore firmware. You are only resetting the device to be absent of  apps and personal info...software. The firmware is flashed.
2017-11-8
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

LarBear360 Posted at 2017-11-8 17:22
Thanks for the heads up. I have an NVIDIA Shiled K1 running 7.0. I would love to roll it back to 6 but it's over my head. There are multiple threads and YouTube videos on the roll-back process. Not for the timid.

It is really easy. Just follow the step by step.
2017-11-8
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

This is something I have remarked on many times about the 'versions' of Android and the fact that Google Nexus does not update to 7 versions. Reason is that they contain 'proprietary' elements that can cause various apps to not work.
Official Google Android is only 6 .... and it basically runs all app's.
Unlike Apple - Google allowed Android to be developed by others and as a consequence you have variations on the working. The only requirement is the 'kernel' keeps to agreed spec.

Now you understand why I use a Nexus !!

Nigel
2017-11-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That does not look promising. Hope DJI make a fix soon
2017-11-8
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

I am not an Apple lover in any way ... we have people in my company that have Iphones etc. and then moan about iCloud and various other restrictions. But for DJI or any company producing Apps ... Apples control of the OS and keeping it locked is better for them. Android on the other hand with all its variations and quirks is a nightmare for companies to maintain compatibility with.

Look at OTG ... BT4 ... just to cite two examples.

Nigel
2017-11-9
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Bear,

The latest nVidia Shield K1 Android update to 7.2 solved all my problems but it was a full upgrade with a nVidia Shield K1 firmware update to 5.2.  Now my nVidia Shield K1 is a dream to fly.  No app crashes with DJI GO 4 or Litchi anymore.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-11-9
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-11-8 23:02
This is something I have remarked on many times about the 'versions' of Android and the fact that Google Nexus does not update to 7 versions. Reason is that they contain 'proprietary' elements that can cause various apps to not work.
Official Google Android is only 6 .... and it basically runs all app's.
Unlike Apple - Google allowed Android to be developed by others and as a consequence you have variations on the working. The only requirement is the 'kernel' keeps to agreed spec.

I have read a lot of good about Nexus..  I've heard they are really easy to flash if needed.
2017-11-9
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

It is possible to roll back your android devices, but yes, it is not for everyone. Most of the time the device will need to be "Rooted" and super-user and TRWP installed. It will void the warranty but you can put whatever version you want on the device. It is worth considering if you are in that position you have a device that has upgraded and now incompatable. I would think you could find someone to help you for a small fee, to save your device instead of having to fork-out a bunch of cash for a new device. I'm just saying there is a way.
2017-11-9
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Phantom One Posted at 2017-11-9 07:16
I have read a lot of good about Nexus..  I've heard they are really easy to flash if needed.

Never looked into flashing the Nexus ...

I was looking for a replacement tablet from the Cavion I was using. Looked through the DJI approved ... and looked a lot online ...

When reviews were compared - the Nexus 7 vers2 came out highly recc'd .... and they are available as refurbs at about $150 ... plus the fact they run official Android ... not a 3rd party proprietary version as some people are finding with other brands.

Until the Nexus is pushed beyond limits - it will do me fine ... it only does this and a couple of other speciality jobs.

Nigel
2017-11-9
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-11-9 08:39
Never looked into flashing the Nexus ...

I was looking for a replacement tablet from the Cavion I was using. Looked through the DJI approved ... and looked a lot online ...

Sounds good, I think I will look for one.  I've been using my phone, S8, but the screen is way too small for aging eyes
2017-11-9
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

The main thing is to make sure flight is with AIRPLANE mode enabled and if its a Standard P3 ... just enable WiFi to link to RC. If its Adv or Pro ... then no need at all - just bang in the cable.

I always Force Stop unnecessary apps as well ... primarily Litchi if using GO ... or vice versa ....

If I was buying Nexus again ... I have the 16Gb version 2 ... I would go for the 32Gb just for that bit extra ... but the 16 does well.
BUT the Nexus 7 vers 2 is an old machine by todays standards .... I would look for possibly later version ?

Nigel
2017-11-9
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-11-9 10:19
The main thing is to make sure flight is with AIRPLANE mode enabled and if its a Standard P3 ... just enable WiFi to link to RC. If its Adv or Pro ... then no need at all - just bang in the cable.

I always Force Stop unnecessary apps as well ... primarily Litchi if using GO ... or vice versa ....

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.  I'm flying a P3P
2017-11-9
Use props
LarBear360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63537 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-11-9 00:55
Aloha Bear,

The latest nVidia Shield K1 Android update to 7.2 solved all my problems but it was a full upgrade with a nVidia Shield K1 firmware update to 5.2.  Now my nVidia Shield K1 is a dream to fly.  No app crashes with DJI GO 4 or Litchi anymore.

Already on Shield 5.2. I'll look for 7.2 Android.
2017-11-9
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Phantom One Posted at 2017-11-9 10:30
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.  I'm flying a P3P

Hi .. my post was poorly worded ...

ALL flights should be AIRPLANE mode whatever Phantom you have ... what I meant with Adv / Pro - is that WiFi does not need to active .. its only with Standard you need WiFi to connect to Controller.

Nigel

2017-11-10
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 2017-11-10 02:50
Hi .. my post was poorly worded ...

ALL flights should be AIRPLANE mode whatever Phantom you have ... what I meant with Adv / Pro - is that WiFi does not need to active .. its only with Standard you need WiFi to connect to Controller.

All flights on Airplane mode, interesting, just how do you come to that conclusion?,

Ive had many long distance flights and have hours of flight time under my belt flying P2V, P3A and a mavic and not once have i found a reason to use Airplane mode, i will however concede that AM was advised to flyers of the P2V and P2V+ due to them using Wifi and having possible interference from mobile data but other than that there isnt any provable evidence that AM should be used, with exception to my point about the P2V etc.

I take it that the caps are there to stress your slightly misguided view, I wont use caps unless necessary.
2017-11-10
Use props
MarkNil
lvl.1

United States

i Flashed my Android version back to 6.0.1 now everything is working perfectly. I will say this the process of flashing back to an earlier version is not for the timid make absolutely sure you follow all directions to the tee and make 100% sure you download the correct version of Android for your device. There are great YouTube videos on the correct process to do the roll back. It takes time, is a nail biter but was completely worth it I can fly again the way it should be with no crashes in the Go App.
2017-11-10
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
United States

MarkNil Posted at 2017-11-10 15:22
i Flashed my Android version back to 6.0.1 now everything is working perfectly. I will say this the process of flashing back to an earlier version is not for the timid make absolutely sure you follow all directions to the tee and make 100% sure you download the correct version of Android for your device. There are great YouTube videos on the correct process to do the roll back. It takes time, is a nail biter but was completely worth it I can fly again the way it should be with no crashes in the Go App.

Great news, glad your back in the air.  
2017-11-10
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

crash1sttime Posted at 2017-11-10 15:11
All flights on Airplane mode, interesting, just how do you come to that conclusion?,

Ive had many long distance flights and have hours of flight time under my belt flying P2V, P3A and a mavic and not once have i found a reason to use Airplane mode, i will however concede that AM was advised to flyers of the P2V and P2V+ due to them using Wifi and having possible interference from mobile data but other than that there isnt any provable evidence that AM should be used, with exception to my point about the P2V etc.

You are not alone ... and many have such flights. User choice.

The reason it is advisable to have Airplane mode enabled is to reduce loads on the processing power and ROM / RAM of the tablet / phone. Giving the maximum to the Go / Litchi app for your flight.
If you do not - then WiFi etc. will keep trying to find signals - using some of the capability of your unit. It may be small - but as many are using tablets / phones that are being pushed to limits on their DJI ... every little helps.

Your's is the first time I have seen anyone say NOT to use Airplane mode !!

As to the capitals ... yes its to emphasise the word. I am well aware of Netspeak thank you.

Nigel
2017-11-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

MarkNil Posted at 2017-11-10 15:22

Mark, glad to know you figured it out, the issue will be feedback to our engineers for attention.
Just to clarify, what is the APP version when this issue occured?
Does it happen to DJI Go 4 as well?
2017-11-12
Use props
MarkNil
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-12 01:10
Mark, glad to know you figured it out, the issue will be feedback to our engineers for attention.
Just to clarify, what is the APP version when this issue occured?
Does it happen to DJI Go 4 as well?

It was version 3.1.22
2017-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules