1650 3 2015-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I am confused ( or even mor confused than before ) - my Logfiles has dramatically change after putting on a ND 8 filter
It seems they have become brighter and with more contrast.
Obviously you have by now understood that I am a videonovice - but please enlighten me.

Is this a "normal" LOG file

LOG
Shutterspeed 50 ( or 80 - do not remember sorry )
Sharp 0
Cont - 2
Sat - 2
ND 8
K4/24

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tk229inmzhko00i/DJI_0048.MP4?dl=0
2015-4-10
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

Adding ND or Neutral Density will not make your image brighter if your ISO and Shutter Speed remain constant. It will actually have the opposite effect as it will darken your image by shielding 'stops' of light from the camera sensor.

The reason we use them is because like the GoPro Hero, The Inspire camera is a fixed aperture camera that remains close to wide open f2.8. Not being able to change this one must either increase the shutter speed to lessen the amount of light entering the shutter OR add layers of filtration to block the excess light. The Former will cause rolling-shutter/jello in your abrupt movement shots. ND will greatly reduce this by allowing you to shoot at a 180 shutter angle (ex if shooting at 24fps your shutter speed should be 1/50th (2x your frame-rate) 30fps = 1/60th and so on... Without ND filters you won't be able to lower your shutter speed this low in bright day light without blowing out your highlights completely.

Shooting in a LOG profile is a setting which allows for more dynamic range and latitude in post editing. Your image should be bright but not over exposed (check your histogram to make sure highlights are not clipping).

I will be putting up a color grading tutorial in Final Cut Pro - X shortly. Stay tuned.
2015-4-10
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

scooterlam Posted at 2015-4-11 10:28
Adding ND or Neutral Density will not make your image brighter if your ISO and Shutter Speed remain  ...

Thank you for using your time to share your knowledge.
I am looking forward to your tutorial so I will stay tuned.

What has happen with my files must then be that after I got my ND 8 filter  I become more aware of bringing the shutter speed  down - and as for that reason got better exposure in bright light.

2015-4-10
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2015-4-11 14:36
Thank you for using your time to share your knowledge.
I am looking forward to your tutorial so I  ...

Add you ND filter, keep your shutter a 2x your framerate (24fps = 1/50th shutter speed or 30fps = 1/60 shutter speed), and if its too dark (I doubt it) boost your ISO slightly.
2015-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules