Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Will bags and cases made for Phatom 2 fit the Phantom 3
18399 24 2015-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ob1artkid
lvl.1

United States

I just sold my Phantom 2 along with all accessories like batteries on Ebay execpt for my DJI Phantom Vision Plus Travel Case made by Tuffycases. I really liked the case and it has a custom foam interior that had been cut specifically to fit the Phantom 2. Can someone from DJI confirm if the physical dimensions of the Phantom 2 and 3 are close enough to use cases made for Phantom 2. Also are the remotes similar in dimensions.

On a side note, I'm a professional wedding cinematographer that really could use the 4K capabilities that the Phantom 3 offers. I'm always cropping the video footage I take with the Phantom 2 in post so having 4K really would be great. However, I only use drones for maybe 2-3 portrait clips and maybe 2 establishing shots in my final edit  (maybe 30 seconds) for each client so I really didn't want to invest $3,000 on an Inspire. The Phantom 3 will be perfect for me. I just need a good carrying case and hope my old one will work.

2015-4-10
Use props
gil
Captain
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Ehhhh... you might have to use a shoehorn.  The landing gear on the P3 is just a bit wider than the P2's
Also check out rcgeeks blog -- Phantom 3 differences.

2015-4-11
Use props
bobbym2075
New

United States

Go Professional Cases just debuted its Phantom 3 case last week at NAB.  They will be taking pre-orders as early as next week, and already have a backpack in the works.  Cant go wrong with GPC
2015-4-24
Use props
CES929
New

United States

The Phantom 3 landing gear is modestly wider, but the controller is the same design as the Inspire controller, so the custom cases for the 2 will definitely not fit the 3.  I saw FC's at NAB and again this week at AUVSI.  Beautiful Cases and custom inserts with plenty of options.  Check them out at www.microraptorcases.com
2015-5-7
Use props
Alterastro
lvl.3

United Kingdom

It fits fine in my backpack. You need to remove the device holder but that's just one screw. There is room for it next to the controller. The P3 stands about 1cm taller than the P2 but not a problem with the foam.

2015-5-7
Use props
coreynach
lvl.1
Flight distance : 208589 ft
United States

Some will, Some won't... If you really want to know if a particular P2 one works, you have to find a forum or post where a previous user as tried it. The Phantom 3 form factor is slightly changed, it's a bit taller, and it's gear is a bit wider (as others have pointed out). This isn't a problem for P2 cases that were designed with a bit extra depth, and with a less snug area around the landing gear...  But also consider the controller.  It's design is much changed too... so it may not fit well in a p2 controller slot... There have been some cases where the controller slot was generic enough to fit the new one (but less snug) and there are ones where the controller slot very tightly and specifically fits the p2 controller... if you get that case, it wouldn't work without making your own additional cuts..  

So will every P2 case work... No way... Will some of the P2 cases or bags work... Yes, likely many will... some will even fit stuff out of the box (though perhaps slightly less "tightly") and others will require a little modification.  That said, it looks like P3's hard shell backpack is out soon... I see one US retailer with it for $149, which is a great price. If you are patient, you could have a perfect, and cost affective solution soon:

DJI Turtle backpack
2015-5-7
Use props
tchavalas
First Officer

United States

I just ordered this one from Go Professional.  Ships within 15 days.

http://goprofessionalcases.com/s ... gpc-dji-plus-3.html
2015-5-7
Use props
Muleshoe2
lvl.1

United States

tchavalas@panos Posted at 2015-5-8 07:16
I just ordered this one from Go Professional.  Ships within 15 days.

http://goprofessionalcases.com ...

I ordered one, too. Thanks for the heads up, Bobby!
2015-5-7
Use props
desertstormarti
lvl.3
Flight distance : 710587 ft
United States

Alterastro Posted at 2015-5-8 01:49
It fits fine in my backpack. You need to remove the device holder but that's just one screw. There i ...

That's a relief!  I JUST got a backpack for my P2 so I could take it as carry on on a trip to Puerto Rico.  Unfortunately, the backpack came back, but not my P2 (pushed the battery just a little too hard over the ocean).  I ordered the P3 as soon as I got back and am happy it will fit in my current case.
2015-5-7
Use props
GregL
New
Flight distance : 276 ft
United States

I have a HPRC 2700WPHA2 for a Vision 2+ that works great for the P3. The props sit completely below the foam. I had to trim the controller pocket slightly which was very easy to do.

HPRC Hard Case

HPRC Hard Case
2015-5-7
Use props
Advexure
lvl.4
United States

We have made the following Phantom 3 Cases available for pre-order:

DJI Hardshell Backpack - https://www.advexure.com/store/dji-phantom-3-hardshell-backpack/
GPC Hard Protective Case - https://www.advexure.com/store/dji-phantom-3-case/

GPC will also be releasing their backpack in about 1-2 weeks.
2015-5-9
Use props
jeremy.cohn
New

Canada

GregL Posted at 2015-5-8 09:51
I have a HPRC 2700WPHA2 for a Vision 2+ that works great for the P3. The props sit completely below  ...

Hey Greg, thanks for sharing the pic. So the P3 fits without modifying the cavity where the UAV goes? I've seen pics that the landing gear area is wider on the P3 so I was surprised at your photo.

I need to transport my new P3 in the 2700WPHA2 for the first little while so I want to make sure the UAV will fit (even if the controller doesn't fit without modifying it, that's fine).
2015-5-18
Use props
pdani67
lvl.1
Flight distance : 362290 ft

In a world where everything is so overpriced when they sell it for the Phantom 3...I bought this (in UK):

http://www.wexphotographic.com/b ... g-backpack/p1528637

Essentially, is the same backpack that DJI sales for way too much! Thge original DJI P3 backpack is made by Manfrotto  (model no 3N1-35 PL ). But guess what....Kata was bought by Manfrotto so they have exactly same backpack model (with exactly the same model no 3N1-35 PL).  So why pay crazy money for same thing (more or less, ok the Kata bag doesn't have the zipped pockets like the original DJI backpack has). The Kata is exact same size, so the DJI P3 fits same as it does in the DJI Backpack. Instead of the zipped pockets, there are lots of pads that can be placed around the DJI P3 and that makes room for plenty accessories... It's really well build and I love it for what it is...and I love that price too
2015-5-18
Use props
Davidklein1

United Kingdom

pdani67 Posted at 2015-5-19 14:32
In a world where everything is so overpriced when they sell it for the Phantom 3...I bought this (in ...

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered one for my phantom 3
2015-5-18
Use props
pdani67
lvl.1
Flight distance : 362290 ft

Davidklein1@gma Posted at 2015-5-19 15:03
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered one for my phantom 3

No probs...glad to help
2015-5-18
Use props
GregL
New
United States

jeremy.cohn@jrc Posted at 2015-5-19 13:37
Hey Greg, thanks for sharing the pic. So the P3 fits without modifying the cavity where the UAV go ...

Yes, the P3 fit in the cavity without modification. The HPRC case seems to be a bit deeper than most but the P3 fits completely within the cavity. The blades are about 1/2" below the top of the foam so they are well protected. I only trimmed about 1/2" of the foam in one small place to get the controller to fit. That location is along the display holder. I used a 12" long perforated carving knife, our Thanksgiving turkey carving knife! It cuts the foam easily and it took about one minute. I sat the controller on top of the opening and traced along the edge for a guideline. You can't tell where I trimmed the foam.
2015-5-19
Use props
jodi2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 42280 ft
Germany

I'm using the same as alterastro, the $30 Hobbyking P2 backpack: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyki ... asp?idProduct=62875
It also sold under other brands/names, sometimes for a few bucks, but still cheap.
Works perfect, and everyting including 4-5 batteries (would love to have so many aleady...) and charger fit in. Just an extra cut for the remote control is necessary.
It's does not offer 100% safety, e.g. if you fall on it, but at least good protection and it's light and mobile, great for walking/hiking even for hours. As the P3 even with all stuff ist still light, it does not bother you even if the backpack is simple and not a anatomic hiking backpack.

p.s. how do I subscribe for a thread here (where I have not posted myself yet)?
2015-5-19
Use props
smittyvette
lvl.1

United States

Here is my Phantom 3 in my Tuffy Cases Phantom 2 Vision Plus bag. Works good.
image.jpg
2015-5-19
Use props
jeremy.cohn
New

Canada

GregL Posted at 2015-5-19 21:13
Yes, the P3 fit in the cavity without modification. The HPRC case seems to be a bit deeper than mo ...

Nice! This is great to know because I didn't really want to upgrade to the new HPRC case w/ wheels because the exterior dimensions are bigger. I like it to fit in a certain spot in my car.

From your pic looks like you store the P3 in that case w/ the blades on? With my Vision 2+ I was leaving the blades on but it seemed to bend them a bit when the case was closed. Same thing with the P3 in that case?
2015-5-19
Use props
GregL
New
United States

jeremy.cohn@jrc Posted at 2015-5-20 06:08
Nice! This is great to know because I didn't really want to upgrade to the new HPRC case w/ wheels ...

I leave the blades on all the time and I keep the P3 stored in the case. I just looked again to confim that the blades are not bent at all. They are snug but not too tight. I do have to be careful when lowering the P3 into the cavity since the blades will hang on the foam if they are not straight. Just a slight turn and they will drop on in. I do like the fact that the blades are below the top of the foam. That seems to be safer than having them on top for the lid to close on them like some of the cases I've seen.
2015-5-19
Use props
jeremy.cohn
New

Canada

GregL Posted at 2015-5-20 07:20
I leave the blades on all the time and I keep the P3 stored in the case. I just looked again to co ...

So I guess the P3P isn't as tall as the V3P then. My V3P blades sit above the foam in the case...
2015-5-19
Use props
jeremy.cohn
New

Canada

GregL Posted at 2015-5-20 07:20
I leave the blades on all the time and I keep the P3 stored in the case. I just looked again to co ...

Ahhhh I just discovered something, my bad!

You have the model w/ wheels, I just have the normal 2700PHA2. Wonder if this makes a difference?

I'm going to be traveling to the US next week and have a Phantom 3 waiting for me - but the cases aren't out yet. So I'm trying to figure out a way to get it home safely. I was going to bring the case I use w/ my P2 but not sure if it will fit.

Has anyone used the Phantom 3 with the HPRC 2700PHA2 (NON-wheeled model)?

Thanks!
2015-5-19
Use props
GregL
New
United States

jeremy.cohn@jrc Posted at 2015-5-20 08:33

You have the model w/ wheels, I just have the normal 2 ...

Ahhh, good point on the wheels. Yes, my case has wheels. I'll measure the depth of the cavity when I get home this evening so we can compare. Since you have the P2 case then you can compare my photo to see exacly where I trimmed the foam around the controller. It was along the edge of the screen bracket. I'm in Atlanta, Georgia for comparison of our time difference.
2015-5-20
Use props
GregL
New
United States

jeremy.cohn@jrc Posted at 2015-5-20 08:33

You have the model w/ wheels, I just have the normal 2 ...

Jeremy, the P3 cavity depth on the wheel case measures 7-3/4" on the sides where the legs fit and 7" on the front and back. See how that compares to your non-wheel case. I was told they are the same when I ordered my case. Hope this helps.
2015-5-20
Use props
Advexure
lvl.4
United States

GoProfessional Phantom 3 Hard Protective Cases are now IN STOCK and READY TO SHIP. As always, same day FREE ground shipping for orders placed before 4pm CST.

Order your Phantom 3 Hard Case: https://www.advexure.com/store/dji-phantom-3-case/

GPCPhantom3Cases.jpg
2015-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules