Landing mode started at 200 feet
886 8 2017-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnmichaels
lvl.2
Flight distance : 316585 ft
United Kingdom

Several times yesterday when I was trying to bring the mavic into land it would stop lowering and then enter landing mode while a long way from the ground.  I would then not be able to bring the Mavic down so I had to escape this mode (flicked sport mode swtich) then tried again but the same would happen.  After a few tries I had to give up bringing it vertically down and fly forward and down bringing it to the ground like a RC plane.  

Has anyone else had this?  It was an Autumn day in the UK with clear skies and the sun low in the sky so I am thinking that the sunlight might have been messing with the lower sensors so I tried a few different approach angles but it kept on happening.  I will try again in different weather conditions and revert but keen to hear if anyone else has had this happen to them.
2017-11-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Yes, I've seen it reported by a number of people, most of them in the past month or two. It's usually caused by landing gear extensions causing the downward sensors to indicate that the Mavic is close to the ground even when it isn't, but can also be caused by having something else attached (e.g., a tracking device), blocked / dirty sensors, or by faulty sensors.

If you upload the flight log to PhantomHelp using these instructions and provide a link to the log in this thread someone can take a look and confirm whether something like what I described was really the cause.
2017-11-9
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Wow, I have the let extensions, but don't use them much.  After this, probably will never use them.
2017-11-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-11-9 10:48
Wow, I have the let extensions, but don't use them much.  After this, probably will never use them.

If you haven't experienced a problem then I wouldn't worry about it; many people use them and never have any trouble because of it, though personally I prefer a landing pad instead of extensions.
2017-11-9
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-9 10:51
If you haven't experienced a problem then I wouldn't worry about it; many people use them and never have any trouble because of it, though personally I prefer a landing pad instead of extensions.

Yup, I have one too, and that's why I don't use the legs much anymore.  Thanks for the quick response.  Good flyin' to ya.
2017-11-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Did you mount any third-party accessories on the drone? In your case, I recommend contacting our support and do a data analysis, we will help to find out the reason, and you can also play back your flight record and pay attention to the altitude when it attempts landing. At last, you can also try to calibrate the IMU, keep the drone in the original version and test again.
2017-11-9
Use props
johnmichaels
lvl.2
United Kingdom

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=jwULkG
http://app.airdata.com/main?share=CEUcYw
http://app.airdata.com/main?share=oefmsn

here are a few of my airdata flight logs.  If you look towards the end you will see that the aircraft switched to landing mode at over 200'.  This happened in both locations.
I was not using landing gear and I do have a landing pad but did not use it as had good ground to take of and land from on this occasion.

I did do a compass calibration but not the IMU.  I will try that over the weekend and see if it works better in different lighting conditions.
2017-11-10
Use props
johnmichaels
lvl.2
United Kingdom

ooops - put the link and the page name round the wrong way - these should work ...
log 1

log 2

log 3
2017-11-10
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

johnmichaels Posted at 2017-11-10 16:09
ooops - put the link and the page name round the wrong way - these should work ...
log 1

AirData doesn't really provide enough information to figure out what happened, but that's ok. Since you weren't using landing gear extensions I'd prefer to see the DAT file from the flight anyway, which is a different log that's located on the Mavic itself (not your mobile device).

The instructions for accessing a DAT file is here, and once you've retrieved it you'll need to upload it to DropBox and provide a link to the content in this thread. The correct file will have a date and time that correspond to when the flight occurred and be tens or hundreds of megabytes in size. Feel free to include multiple DAT files if you aren't sure which is the right one and I'll figure it out.
2017-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules