DJI Mavic Forced Landing
2046 8 2017-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OHT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1906 ft
United States

While Flying mavic doing aerial inspections over water drone went into forced landing mode and crashed in river. Had 21 minutes of total time fly on drone about 15 on battery. Updated firmware yesterday. below if flight log. Thanks.

2017-11-9
Use props
OHT
lvl.1
United States

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/WTYHTM62S5R6SCQTD1FL/
2017-11-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

What the log shows is that the downward / VPS sensor believed that you were just above the ground starting at around 6:31 into the flight, and because you were pulling back on the throttle (left stick) it started landing.

My first thought from your description was that you had landing gear extensions attached which, as I've mentioned elsewhere, can cause an unsolicited landing, but your log file doesn't match the behavior I've seen in those other cases. I also wondered if maybe being over water had affected the sensors, but soon realized that you were much too high above the water for that to be the problem. I also found it odd that the log was terminated so soon after it started landing given that you probably had pretty good line of sight to the drone and that it was around 100 feet in the air at the time; a normal descent definitely would have taken more than 3 seconds to reach the water that far below.

Finally I realized from looking at the map that it seems you were flying directly above a power line strung between two large transmission towers, and given the Mavic's height I'm guessing you were just barely above it. I suspect that what happened is that your Mavic's downward sensor detected the power line directly below it, began landing because of the negative throttle input, and struck the power line on its way down.

I'm sorry about your loss but for future reference you'll want to disable the Landing Protection option before attempting a flight like this in the future. That'll keep the Mavic from auto-landing mode when it thinks the ground is close (and you're pulling back on the throttle).

P.S. Also for future reference, a landing can be canceled by applying positive / forward throttle (left stick) input, though in this case it looks like you'd have needed to react pretty quickly once the landing started to prevent this outcome.

2017-11-9
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

I want to add to that flying above/near (high-voltage) power lines is not a good idea. There is a powerful electromagnetic field around them, which can interfere with Mavic's electronics, Mavic's compass and RC signal. Plus you run the risk of flying into the power lines themselves, creating a hazardous situation.
You seem to have been flying right in the magnetic vortex.
powerline.JPG
2017-11-9
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Good advice above, and really sorry for your loss of the Mavic.
2017-11-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry to hear about your loss, have you sent an email to support.us@dji.com and reported this case to them? If not, please sync your flight record and export the Flight Controller LOG Data and contact them and start a data analysis. We will try our best to help this out.
2017-11-9
Use props
Katsumoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56407 ft
Austria

OHT Posted at 2017-11-9 11:13
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/WTYHTM62S5R6SCQTD1FL/

2017-11-12
Use props
fans48d34f9f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 199554 ft
United States

If only if the balls  didn't fall off so easy
2017-11-12
Use props
OHT 5
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-9 11:47
What the log shows is that the downward / VPS sensor believed that you were just above the ground starting at around 6:31 into the flight, and because you were pulling back on the throttle (left stick) it started landing.

My first thought from your description was that you had landing gear extensions attached which, as I've mentioned elsewhere, can cause an unsolicited landing, but your log file doesn't match the behavior I've seen in those other cases. I also wondered if maybe being over water had affected the sensors, but soon realized that you were much too high above the water for that to be the problem. I also found it odd that the log was terminated so soon after it started landing given that you probably had pretty good line of sight to the drone and that it was around 100 feet in the air at the time; a normal descent definitely would have taken more than 3 seconds to reach the water that far below.

I work for a utility and was using the drone for a line inspection. A pilot program we are starting up. Thanks for the advice on disabling the landing protection option. Hopefully the synced files will provide a answer. Thanks
2017-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules