Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FAA Registration is, once again, required by law
3017 30 2017-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jyunte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

The news is, that today (November 9th, 2017) Congress finalized legislation which will reverse the earlier court ruling and restore the FAA's UAS requirement for pilot registration when flying any RC aircraft over 0.55lbs and less than 50lbs. See The AMA blog for more information.
2017-11-9
Use props
Rich Z
lvl.1

United States

And where, exactly, in the US Constitution is this authority granted to the federal government?
2017-11-9
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Rich Z Posted at 2017-11-9 17:10
And where, exactly, in the US Constitution is this authority granted to the federal government?

Where does the C.I.A. get their power and authority?
2017-11-9
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Guess it's good that I left my registration intact.
2017-11-9
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-11-9 19:56

Me too... but what do you want to bet that we will have to do it again, in a different way, new database, and new fee?
2017-11-9
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

When I registered my Phantom 3, there was a website called "FAA".  Only it wasn't the government's FAA, but rather some private site that purposely tried to look like the real FAA.  Their website looked like the place to register your drone, but their charge was something like $25 or $35.  Worse, they also offered the lettering that was required to be put on the quad, but that charge was something like $35.  It would be real easy to think that they were the ones you had to go through.  Luckily, I did a Google search and got the right site - $5.  Anyway, if folks have to start registering again, be watchful for these bums.
2017-11-9
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

My Mavic still displays my registration # just in case
2017-11-10
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

No big deal. I left mine intact also, that five bucks is almost a sixpack!
2017-11-10
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Not law yet, still has to pass unmodified in the House and Senate.
2017-11-10
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

i too left my FAA numbers on my birds and a card in each case.
2017-11-10
Use props
Javey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503458 ft
United States

Hmm, mine are already registered so no big deal!  Thanks for the heads up.
2017-11-10
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-11-9 21:59
When I registered my Phantom 3, there was a website called "FAA".  Only it wasn't the government's FAA, but rather some private site that purposely tried to look like the real FAA.  Their website looked like the place to register your drone, but their charge was something like $25 or $35.  Worse, they also offered the lettering that was required to be put on the quad, but that charge was something like $35.  It would be real easy to think that they were the ones you had to go through.  Luckily, I did a Google search and got the right site - $5.  Anyway, if folks have to start registering again, be watchful for these bums.

I did the same thing, but they were upfront about what they were offering, they registered my drone with the FAA, received email confirmation from FAA and they sent me 2 aluminum adhesive backed stickers ( very durable, UV Resistant & Moisture proof ) that met FAA requirements to include, Name, Tel#, Reg # and address but was only $10 USD
2017-11-10
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Still have my reggie.
2017-11-10
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

Had mine registered, then removed the registration when the requirement was rescinded. Think I'll wait this time and see how it pans out...
2017-11-10
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Still registered
2017-11-10
Use props
fbcx
New
United States

Rich Z Posted at 2017-11-9 17:10

The same place that gives them authority over Interstate Commerce.
2017-11-11
Use props
fbcx
New
United States

Just did it. It's OK with me as long as I don't have to register with the State, the County, the City, my HOA and the Tribe.
2017-11-11
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-11-9 21:59

I did the very same thing. Went to the actual FAA site and registered, The nerve of that other site charging folks an arm and leg.
2017-11-11
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

If DJI knows who the owner is then the FAA can find out if it really wants to regardless of whether there's an FA number on the drone. Failing to register and label the drone once it's required again will probably only make things worse if the FAA ever does get its hands on your aircraft and wants to find out who you are.
2017-11-11
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Registered since 03/17.
2017-11-11
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

They will probably make everyone reregister.  Just a hunch with how regulations work.
2017-11-11
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

What a joke.
2017-11-11
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-11-11 05:08
I did the very same thing. Went to the actual FAA site and registered, The nerve of that other site charging folks an arm and leg.

The "bad" site is at http://federaldroneregistration.com/.  They charge $25 to register and $50 to register and provide the lettering for your quad.  If you take the time to look at their "contact us" page, it says "We are not the FAA".  Anyway, the real FAA charges $5.  You can print your own number for the bird or even just write it on with a felt tip marker.  Don't fall for these rip off artists.
2017-11-11
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-11-9 19:56

I did too.
2017-11-11
Use props
Arlo Pear
New
United States

IF....you were to be gullible, and did pay the "bad" company the 25 bucks, and got a registration #.....Does this mean your NOT registered with the FAA??   I must admit, I didn't do my homework, and just paid the 25.   Now they did send me a number, and i'm assuming they just used my info, went on the FAA site, registered, sent me the number and just kept the other 20 bucks. It would REALLY suck, If I still need to register!!    Is there a way to find out??  Of does somebody on here know.

Arlo
2017-11-12
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Arlo Pear Posted at 2017-11-12 10:53
IF....you were to be gullible, and did pay the "bad" company the 25 bucks, and got a registration #.....Does this mean your NOT registered with the FAA??   I must admit, I didn't do my homework, and just paid the 25.   Now they did send me a number, and i'm assuming they just used my info, went on the FAA site, registered, sent me the number and just kept the other 20 bucks. It would REALLY suck, If I still need to register!!    Is there a way to find out??  Of does somebody on here know.

Arlo

Yes, from what I've heard you probably really are registered: it's just as though you paid someone $25 to mail a letter by putting it in your own mailbox because you didn't realize that was all that was needed. That's why what they're doing is legal: they really are registering you as they claim, but they're taking advantage of the fact that many people don't realize that the registration can easily be accomplished for $5 by going directly to the FAA's web site.
2017-11-12
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Really sad how these people find a way to make a buck because they're unaware.
2017-11-12
Use props
fansb05bb589
lvl.2
Flight distance : 325725 ft
  • >>>
United States

I registered my previous drone but alas it met its demise when a propeller fell off.  Can I used the same registration number on my new Mavik? I sent this question into the FAA site but never got a response.
2017-11-12
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

fansb05bb589 Posted at 2017-11-12 18:18
I registered my previous drone but alas it met its demise when a propeller fell off.  Can I used the same registration number on my new Mavik? I sent this question into the FAA site but never got a response.

Yes, you can and should use the same FA number on all the drones you own. Despite the somewhat misleading verbiage that even the FAA uses, it's the drone's owner that's registered and not a specific drone.
2017-11-12
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

fansb05bb589 Posted at 2017-11-12 18:18

The drone is not registered.  The operator is registered.  So just put the same number on your new one and any others you have.
2017-11-12
Use props
Iskareot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 961198 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-11-10 07:51
Not law yet, still has to pass unmodified in the House and Senate.

This is the correct answer, this is not a LAW yet.   It is for lack of a better term a "rule"  Until it is a law - somewhat people can still do what they want.   NOW, I should say they want you to do this.  FAA does, AMA does.

Some of us never unregistered of course.   None the less this is not a law, but a suggestion more or less at this point.
2017-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules