Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Let me understand Spark disatnce limitation
2438 8 2017-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thewhatever
lvl.1

Lebanon

I still didn't buy a Spark because I want to understand a major thing about this drone's distance.
Lot of people complain that with a smartphone's wifi it's limited to 50m altitude and 100m distance, even if using the ''portable wifi booster'' trick meaning a USB powered wifi extender.
Then I discovered there is something called CE limits and these limits are integrated into the dji Go app, and as I am in Lebanon it follows the CE rules of 50m altitude and 100m distance.
So in the US which are ruled by FCC, they can get more distance with the Wifi Extender trick?
And so it's not the Spark's hardware fault to be limited to such small distance (CE) but it's software limited on purpose?

2017-11-10
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

My understanding is, a wifi extender will not get you anything, cause the range is limited by the dji go 4 app in the setting "no RC detected to controll the Spark"
Or in other words: with an RC the range is extendable, so to speak
2017-11-10
Use props
thewhatever
lvl.1

Lebanon

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-10 01:30
My understanding is, a wifi extender will not get you anything, cause the range is limited by the dji go 4 app in the setting "no RC detected to controll the Spark"
Or in other words: with an RC the range is extendable, so to speak

Even if you are in a  FCC country?
2017-11-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

If you wan to get a longer range, I would recommend you connect your spark with RC instead. In addition, using the Wifi Extender is not recommended and may create new problems.
2017-11-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You are confusing 2 things.
1. There is a hard limit in range introduced by DJI when you fly without a Remote Controller (RC). This has nothing to do with CE or FCC
2. FCC rules are less strict on how strong a device can send radio signals, so if you are in CE country ALL your certified devices (like your router, smartphone etc) will have a less strong (wifi) signal than the same devices in FCC area.
Both influence the range you get with your Spark (or any other radio emitting device) but not in the same way.
So if you get Spark without a RC, you are limited by DJI.
If you fly in CE area, your range is (also) limited by the CE rules.
2017-11-10
Use props
thewhatever
lvl.1

Lebanon

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-10 02:00
You are confusing 2 things.
1. There is a hard limit in range introduced by DJI when you fly without a Remote Controller (RC). This has nothing to do with CE or FCC
2. FCC rules are less strict on how strong a device can send radio signals, so if you are in CE country ALL your certified devices (like your router, smartphone etc) will have a less strong (wifi) signal than the same devices in FCC area.

Well I think  I am not gonna buy the Spark anymore, I was so hyped to get one but because I am jobless I can't pay an extra 150$ for the RC, and I just checked 100m distance on google maps in the places I want to go, it's way too limited, Dji has a very bad marketing.
I will keep my money for something smarter. I won't pay hundred of $ for a drone that can't do better than a 50$ Chinese drone.
Ok Follow Me will be fun for ski but how many times will I use it? 2-3 times in a year?
2017-11-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

thewhatever Posted at 2017-11-10 02:22
Well I think  I am not gonna buy the Spark anymore, I was so hyped to get one but because I am jobless I can't pay an extra 150$ for the RC, and I just checked 100m distance on google maps in the places I want to go, it's way too limited, Dji has a very bad marketing.
I will keep my money for something smarter. I won't pay hundred of $ for a drone that can't do better than a 50$ Chinese drone.
Ok Follow Me will be fun for ski but how many times will I use it? 2-3 times in a year?

I would always go for the 'fly more combo' as it is well worth the money (extra battery, Remote Controller, Bag etc.) and don't bother just buying Spark.
The RC gives you many more options and flight control.
2017-11-10
Use props
Zatx
First Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

thewhatever Posted at 2017-11-10 02:22

Which $50 Chinese drone performs better than the Spark and has anywhere near the features?

I'll take three!
2017-11-10
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Zatx Posted at 2017-11-10 06:24
Which $50 Chinese drone performs better than the Spark and has anywhere near the features?

I'll take three!

Let him find out what a gimbal alone @ a drone will get him.
But: A 50 $ drone gets him lots of optinos, to practise atti mode.
2017-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules