Thoughts regarding IMU Calibration
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
akeols
lvl.1
Flight distance : 260397 ft
Sweden

Hey everyone!
I've seen lots of tip regarding calibration of the IMU, for example calibrate cold for a faster warmup.
This is my thoughts:
All electronics tends to drift a little depending on their operating temperature, so even the IMU circuit(s).
To be stable, the sensitive IMU circuit(s) have to be in a controlled environment.
Therefore those circut(s) is mounted in a oven to heat them up to a controlled temparature.
That way a thermostat is able to have those circut(s) in a stable, controlled temperature.
If you calibrate your IMU in for ex. 10 degree C (or out of the fridge that some says), you fool the control circuit that this is the correct operating temperature.
Then you take your bird out to fly.
Outside you have for ex. 22 degree C. You start up your bird, and it checks for stored calibration data.
It does not have to warm up at all, since it already a lot over the calibrated temp. This gives you a very quick startup.
That way you have no help of the oven to controll the IMU:s temp., and you are flying with a drifting unstable IMU.
My tip is: Calibrate the IMU in the ambient temperature you normally fly in, and take the pain to wait for it to warm up.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards Ake

2017-11-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Problem is, when you do that, the calibration fails and you get a pop up that advises you to try again when the IMU is cool.  
2017-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules