Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Almost fly away
1126 23 2017-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 339888 ft
Canada

So i did a test flight today with my ND filter
it was kinda windy so I did not go high Altitude, What I did was Hover around 60m to test the camera and it was in GPS mode

4 minutes after flight the MPP drifting away without me touching any control and it shows me in P mode GPS, I looked at my screen I still have signal and it's kept moving away
I try to push stick forward and its not coming forward and I have VLOS

I flipped to sports mode and thankfully I gained control and it did come back

I did Compass Calibration and IMU before my flight
Checked for Strong Interference before take off
I flew DJI series Phantom and Inspire and this is my first encounter with such behaviour with MPP

What went wrong? Please help me to understand, Here's my logs
Some advise/Insight is appreciated

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/SRHTOKPEN2AINA958ZYX/

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=SITRWL&page_id=GENERAL

Video when it was drifted, I switched to sports mode at 00:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFKmiWJBR5E
2017-11-10
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 902034 ft
United Kingdom

"What I did was Hover around 60m to test the camera" - I think you mean 60ft (according to the logs)
2017-11-10
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I looked at the log and it may have just been a case of a strong wind. Both the Mavic's attitude and the direction in which it drifted seem to be consistent with the wind direction (from WNW) at the time of the flight. The log shows that as you yawed right / clockwise, the Mavic adjusted its pitch and roll appropriately as it tried to hover in place despite the wind. Granted, winds near ground level were manageable (about 5 m/s) at the time, but you'd be surprised at how much different they can be once you get above the treeline or, as in this case, above the surrounding buildings.

On the other hand, it's also possible that you need to do an IMU calibration. I probably wouldn't recommend it at this point, but if you see this kind of behavior again then you should calibrate the IMU and make sure that you do it on a very level surface.

2017-11-10
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Canada

Will keep that in mind thanks, As for IMU can it be done indoor or it must be outdoor?
2017-11-10
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Thunderbirds Posted at 2017-11-10 19:19
Will keep that in mind thanks, As for IMU can it be done indoor or it must be outdoor?

Indoors is fine; in fact, you'll probably have an easier time finding a level surface inside.
2017-11-10
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks goodness for that S-mode, it looks like it was the life saver. I hardly ever fly in P-mode especially in windy conditions as S-mode provide a bit more control as you found out.
2017-11-10
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I think you will find that it was just the excessive wind speed at the height you were at.  It wasn't until you changed to sport mode that you started to descend and that may have helped the drone to return a bit faster as you descended.
Wind at height can be a real trap and the "High Wind Velocity" warning is there for a very good reason.
2017-11-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thunderbirds, glad to hear that you took the drone back at the end. Had you reported this case to our support? If not yet, please export the data from the drone, send an email to support.us@dji.com and we will help to do a data analysis which could find out the reason for this case.
2017-11-10
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Canada

Hi thor,

Thank you, I just downloaded the log file and emailed it with link
It only shows Vision record on my flight log list

hope to get some Insight soon from DJI
2017-11-10
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Canada

case # 828258
2017-11-10
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Canada

So I sent the email and i received the reply from DJI (check email below)
Does this mean I received a faulty MPP on arrival? Honestly speaking I already had a bad experience sending my P4 4 times to repair center due to I got a lemon, If i get a Lemon MPP then I want to return it and get a new one

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

Flying a drone must be exciting. Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why our services did not meet your expectation. We have every desire to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve your issue as soon as possible.

We highly suggest for you to send your unit to our facility for assessment. To make the repair process easier and more convenient, we created an Online Repair Request system for you. After filling out the online forms you will receive a case number.
2017-11-11
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-10 16:39
I looked at the log and it may have just been a case of a strong wind. Both the Mavic's attitude and the direction in which it drifted seem to be consistent with the wind direction (from WNW) at the time of the flight. The log shows that as you yawed right / clockwise, the Mavic adjusted its pitch and roll appropriately as it tried to hover in place despite the wind. Granted, winds near ground level were manageable (about 5 m/s) at the time, but you'd be surprised at how much different they can be once you get above the treeline or, as in this case, above the surrounding buildings.

On the other hand, it's also possible that you need to do an IMU calibration. I probably wouldn't recommend it at this point, but if you see this kind of behavior again then you should calibrate the IMU and make sure that you do it on a very level surface.

I am curious why DJI can look at this flight log and ask for the drone to be returned. Is this a known malfunction?
2017-11-11
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-11-11 22:04
I am curious why DJI can look at this flight log and ask for the drone to be returned. Is this a known malfunction?

Considering that he uploaded the log Friday -- and late Friday by North America time -- and apparently received that email within about 24 hours, I doubt very much that DJI has already analyzed his log. More likely the email was a generic response to someone reporting a potential problem.
2017-11-12
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Thunderbirds Posted at 2017-11-11 19:23
So I sent the email and i received the reply from DJI (check email below)
Does this mean I received a faulty MPP on arrival? Honestly speaking I already had a bad experience sending my P4 4 times to repair center due to I got a lemon, If i get a Lemon MPP then I want to return it and get a new one

So I sent the email and i received the reply from DJI (check email below) Does this mean I received a faulty MPP on arrival?

If they really did already analyze your flight log that would be the fastest turnaround I've ever seen from DJI by far -- and on a weekend, no less. I doubt that anyone there has looked at your log yet, much less completed the analysis. However, if you'd also like to upload it to DropBox and provide a link to it here I'll take a look.
2017-11-12
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Canada

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-12 04:04
So I sent the email and i received the reply from DJI (check email below) Does this mean I received a faulty MPP on arrival?

If they really did already analyze your flight log that would be the fastest turnaround I've ever seen from DJI by far -- and on a weekend, no less. I doubt that anyone there has looked at your log yet, much less completed the analysis. However, if you'd also like to upload it to DropBox and provide a link to it here I'll take a look.

I've uploaded it here
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... yGLuVQxL1XkLPlEYDAl

Thanks again
2017-11-12
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Thunderbirds Posted at 2017-11-12 06:36
I've uploaded it here
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CoPKaFDAcQXKgyGLuVQxL1XkLPlEYDAl

That file doesn't contain a Flight Controller (FC) entry, so if that's what you provided to DJI then they definitely haven't analyzed what happened during the flight. Please try again to retrieve the correct DAT file and if you're not sure which is the correct one then feel free to include any / all that you think might be it.
2017-11-12
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Canada

I just went into DJI Assistant with AC plugged in and Remote turned on, Weird thing is the flight record which I downloaded the other day dated 10/11/2017 is missing, I see logs all other day including the previous date and latest dated 11/11/2017

any idea?
2017-11-12
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Thunderbirds Posted at 2017-11-12 11:33
I just went into DJI Assistant with AC plugged in and Remote turned on, Weird thing is the flight record which I downloaded the other day dated 10/11/2017 is missing, I see logs all other day including the previous date and latest dated 11/11/2017

any idea?

Yes, I've heard that powering the Mavic off and back on again is sometimes necessary for the correct log to be displayed. And again, if you aren't sure which is the correct one don't be afraid to include all the ones that you think might be it and I'll figure out which is the correct one.
2017-11-12
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Canada

Ok I connected the AC again and downloading all the logs, Will post link shortly once upload is completed
attached screenshot of entire log im uploading, but I still dont see the log I downloaded the other days dated 10/11

2017-11-12
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Canada

Uploaded entire logs
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... LHXzS3R3G5PS4V5KxAC
2017-11-12
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Canada

I did few more test and it did not produce the issue, Perhaps glitch?
2017-11-12
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Thunderbirds Posted at 2017-11-12 14:34
I did few more test and it did not produce the issue, Perhaps glitch?

Again, I suspect that it was just a case of high wind, but I'll look through the DAT files when I get a chance and try to confirm this.
2017-11-12
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Canada

Sounds good
2017-11-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thunderbirds Posted at 2017-11-10 22:43
Hi thor,

Thank you, I just downloaded the log file and emailed it with link

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I checked the case log and it seems you are going to send it back, right? We will investigate the data when the drone arrives, then we will make the corresponding result. Hope things will be sorted out shortly.
2017-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules