12Next >
2510 40 2017-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34085 ft
Australia

So much for your policies and helping customers. My mavic  fell out of the sky and into water. And two days later the same things happened to a mate of ours. After the case investigation DJI couldn’t find a fault on their part or a fault on our part. Instead the best they could do was offer 50% off a new drone because apparently flying over water is not in their policy yet they advertise flying over water.. looks like their is some false advertising going on here. Even with DJI refresh which states  “covered for water damage” are you really covered? Cause it’s not in their policy. Looks like their is a lot of things in their policy that doesn’t help customers out at all. One day you will have legal action taken when a drone falls out of the sky and hits someone. Then what are you going to say? “Policy is you can’t fly the drone? Hmmm, I think you have a lot to think about DJI. It’s really disgusting on your part. So just a warning to all droners our there, pls be aware that your chances of getting a refund is 0. And be prepared to lose a lot of cash.
Regards,
An unhappy customer.
2017-11-10
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 339888 ft
Canada

If you don't have DJI Care Refresh and DJI offered you 50% discount on a new drone that is Generous of them, Perhaps if you post your logs here there are many experts here could advise what went wrong to give you some idea, If you're getting a new one get the care refresher
2017-11-10
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

DJI refresh wouldn’t help either due to the the drone was flown over water which is against there flying guideline policy, drone was under water about 50m you need the device it’s self and if flying over water the refresh is invalid
2017-11-10
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

you tell me what went wrong here
2017-11-10
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

here is the flight record

DJIFlightRecord_2017-09-02_(08-01-06).txt.Comprehensive.preview.pdf

307.53 KB, Down times: 7

what went wrong??

2017-11-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Raptured, could you please provide me with your case number? I would like to check the status of it. But please note that, if the drone crashed into the water and can not be retrieved, DJI Care Refresh is not able to cover it.
2017-11-10
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-10 20:37
Raptured, could you please provide me with your case number? I would like to check the status of it. But please note that, if the drone crashed into the water and can not be retrieved, DJI Care Refresh is not able to cover it.

my reference number for this case is: RMA170905607
2017-11-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thank you for your reply, I had checked your case log, the aircraft was controlled by the pilot in GPS mode, and responded to pilot command well. Then, the flight record ended without any sign of abnormality, please refer to the pic below, we're not able to verify what happened afterwards. If you have further files could be provided, please send them back to us and we are pleased to let the engineers review. For now, considering this special situation, we've provided you with the best offer based on after-sales policy. Hope your kind understanding. data analysis..png
2017-11-11
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Raptured Lens Posted at 2017-11-10 22:46
my reference number for this case is: RMA170905607

Really sorry for your loss.
Their warranty is not void if you fly over water.  DJI Refresh Care does cover water damage IF you recover the craft.  I specifically read the disclaimers when I was thinking of getting it for one of my P4's.

Under the section 2 of the DJI Care Refresh Terms of Service it says
II Exclusions:
DJI Care Refresh does not cover the following:
1) Lost or partially lost aircraft, gimbal or accessories.

It's a bummer you can't retrieve the craft.  Again....really sorry for your loss.
2017-11-11
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

Tmygun Posted at 2017-11-11 07:24
Really sorry for your loss.
Their warranty is not void if you fly over water.  DJI Refresh Care does cover water damage IF you recover the craft.  I specifically read the disclaimers when I was thinking of getting it for one of my P4's.

1.So when the controller says reconnecting the drone should just hover till it connects again? which it didn't.
2.DJI shouldnt advertise their drones flying over water? whats the point of having a drone then??!
3. $1300 AUD should not fall out of the sky for no reason there is always a reason why
4.Why buy a drone when you lose a lot of money with out any consumer warranty and DJI i refresh doesn't help either unless you have the drone?!
5.How are you going to prevent this from happening to other people?!
6.People doing water sports like surfing competitions use drones all the time you going to tell them that you can't fly drone over water??!!!
7.So your not allowed to fly over water then why does DJI refresh cover for water damage?
8.What happens when the drone falls out of the sky and hits someone or even kills someone?! blame the driver cause if thats the case DJI will be sued for their products??!!

All I get from DJI is a company that doesn't care about what the consumers say its about DJI covering them selves so well that they dont help the consumer at all, but yet that can give away drones  for free, can't even give a cash back option cause lets face it you invest in something thats very expensive to buy and most people can not buy another drone like us even with that discount cause its still very expensive!!
Would you be happy with this outcome?! I aint only had the drone for 1 month and use $2000 AUD and all i am left with is a controller and 2 batteries great! what can i do with that nothing can't afford another drone cause what if the same thing happens again? i get nothing back so its useless. Social media and other outlets will know of this cause i am not happy and everyone should know!!! let me ask you this would you be happy with this outcome???!!
2017-11-11
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

Raptured Lens Posted at 2017-11-11 13:11
1.So when the controller says reconnecting the drone should just hover till it connects again? which it didn't.
2.DJI shouldnt advertise their drones flying over water? whats the point of having a drone then??!
3. $1300 AUD should not fall out of the sky for no reason there is always a reason why

coupons valid for one month?? how is anyone meant to buy a drone within that time limit? with daily bills and the cost of living?? its very poor of DJI. can't afford one oh well its the consumers lost while DJI make a profit!! if they can go to 50% and give away drones for free in prizes on social media they can replace the drone easily even if its a refurbished drone!
2017-11-11
Use props
Kloo Gee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-11 03:00
Thank you for your reply, I had checked your case log, the aircraft was controlled by the pilot in GPS mode, and responded to pilot command well. Then, the flight record ended without any sign of abnormality, please refer to the pic below, we're not able to verify what happened afterwards. If you have further files could be provided, please send them back to us and we are pleased to let the engineers review. For now, considering this special situation, we've provided you with the best offer based on after-sales policy. Hope your kind understanding.[view_image]

DJI Thor,

If possible, can you please look at passing along a suggestion for your engineering team for future consideration?

I have been a part of this DJI forum for a few months and quite regularly look through people's Flight Records from DJI Go 4 when they have had an incident.  Quite frequently, as in this case, the log file just ends abruptly with nothing at all to indicate anything had happened.  In my opinion, the only time the Flight Record should end abruptly without any indication of a problem is if the DJI Go 4 app itself crashes.

I also see in flight logs quite frequently where this is a missing time gap in the logs followed by a message saying "Downlink Restored (after XX seconds)"

This is an example from a different person's log file (not associated with this particular thread).  Note the normal entry, followed by a gap of over 11 seconds, then an entry saying the connection was restored.

835        103        1m 43s        59.33852963        17.92177735        P-GPS        156.8        47.8        0        0        0        0                64.8        19.7        59.33856437        17.92143597        21        82        11.692        0        3.897        3.897        3.897        0        0        0        3.7        -5.1        27        1024        1024        1024        1024        1024                                                       
836        114.5        1m 54.5s        59.33852902        17.92177296        P-GPS        156.5        47.7        0        0        0        0                64        19.5        59.33856437        17.92143597        20        82        11.692        0        3.897        3.897        3.897        0        0        0        2.6        -3.7        27.1        1024        1024        1024        1024        1024                                        Downlink Restored (after 0m 11.5s)               

In my opinion, there should be at least 3 log entries in this time period.  At the 1m 43s mark is a normal log entry under normal behavior.  There should be an additional log entry at 1m 43.1s with null or empty values for most of the flight data with a message that the connection to the aircraft was lost.  Then there should be the follow up later indicating "Downlink Restored (after XX seconds) as it does now.  Also, I might suggest that if the connection isn't re-acquired within 10 seconds, it should log again that the connection to the aircraft is lost and repeat this log entry every 10 seconds for up to a certain period of time where it logs a final message saying connection was lost and the logging will end.

By adding these additional logs, it will make it much clearer to both DJI and the user what is going on.  At the moment, the log just ends and neither DJI or the user knows for sure if it just ended because it became disconnect or the app just crashed or what happened.  

Please pass along this request to the DJI engineering team for consideration.  It seems like such a simple thing to implement and would provide considerable insight for DJI and their customers when things go awry.

Thanks much!

2017-11-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for the input, we do understand your frustration and but would try our best to make it clear about your questions.
1. When the RC signal lost, you can select Return-to-Home, landing or hover in DJI Go APP. This should be set before the flight or before any accident happens.
2. The drone can fly above water but you must keep it at least 10m away from the water. water.png
3. We would like to find out the reason but the remaining data is not enough for analysis.
4. In our DJI Care Refresh terms, lost or partially lost will not be covered by Care Refresh, thanks for the understanding.
5. We never suggest customers to fly above the people, if anything happens, we will try our best to analyze the reason if there are enough logs and escalate to Legal department for further resolution.
6. The answer would be the same with the second question.
7. Water damage could be caused by rain or snow or falling into water, Care Refresh will cover it as long as it could be retrieved from water.
According to DJI policy, the coupon will be kept for a month, sorry for the inconvenience caused and appreciate your understanding.
2017-11-12
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Again really sorry for your loss and I think that Mindy answered your points really well as far as DJI policy. Again......they don't forbid you flying over water...they suggest you fly at 30 feet or above because the VPS system could malfunction and the aircraft could lose its visual positioning because of the reflective water surface and drop suddenly.

As far as the policy for having the physically damaged aircraft sent back to get Care Refresh I understand their stance.  
It would be very easy for a person (and don't get me wrong....I totally believe what happened to you really happened) fly out to 1000 feet, disconnect the USB cable from the mobile device (which would cut off the data stream to the mobile device, fly the aircraft back with just the RC and say my aircraft disconnected and fell in a spot where retrieval is impossible......now send me a new aircraft for the deductible.  
While I would hope no one would do that.....if it were available there might be people that would take advantage of that scenario.
Normally the flight data would give some indication of the cause, but in this case the data stream just stops.........with no indication of why.
Good luck and I hope things go better for you.
2017-11-12
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-12 03:09
Thanks for the input, we do understand your frustration and but would try our best to make it clear about your questions.
1. When the RC signal lost, you can select Return-to-Home, landing or hover in DJI Go APP. This should be set before the flight or before any accident happens.
2. The drone can fly above water but you must keep it at least 10m away from the water.[view_image]

so 6M above from the point of flight was well high enough from the ocean cause we where on land  no where near the ocean if so  you go lower from the point you take of it should read a negative measure meant which would be closer to the water! so how do you know you can't base that of information we where atleast 20M above sea level.. again covering up
2017-11-12
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-12 03:09
2. The drone can fly above water but you must keep it at least 10m away from the water.[view_image]

and clearly you dont understand! cause if something falls out of the sky while it says reconnecting? how are you meant to hit the return to home button? why is it not hovering when it says reconnecting? so clearly something went wrong. Well you tell me what went wrong cause i find it really strange and very unhelpful cause i like to know why it fell out of the sky and DJI is just covering it up with a coupon that is only valid for a month and somehow i am meant to get this cash within the time frame while still pay for everyday living. Some company doesn't really care about its consumers just there back pockets!
2017-11-12
Use props
Rich Z
lvl.1

United States

Sorry, but maybe it is just my way of looking at things, but if the DJI hardware/software SYSTEM suffered a failure that killed the logging process and apparently also caused the failure of the drone, leading it to crash somewhere inaccessible, then how is the NOT a fault of DJI?  If the product is still under warranty, then the failure certainly appears to be DJI's equipment and/or software being at fault.  I think many people likely buy these things to take video in places and situations exactly where they are being subjected to winding up in inaccessible areas if a failure takes place.

There are LOTS of videos not only done by DJI but also apparently promoted by them as well seem to support what I am saying above. For instance ->   When you get to 1:22 in that video, stop and read the text in the upper section of the screen.  If that isn't promoting the idea of sending the drone to places where a failure would very likely not make it unrecoverable afterwards, I don't know what is.  It's like selling a toaster oven that voids the warranty if the internal temperature gets hot enough to toast bread. This is why people are buying these flying platforms for photography and video.

I will tell you, it is stuff like this that is putting the brakes on my idea of buying a drone from DJI. Luckily I am doing due diligence before spending my money.  I've just got a few more questions to be asked, the answers to which will certainly make the decision for me.  But I have to admit that this DJI apparent dancing around what appears to be their pretty obvious responsibility is rating pretty highly in this decision making process.  Unless the log CLEARLY shows operator error, then it is DJI at fault.  Even if it is a fault of the software not being adequately written in such a manner to be able to detect the reason for the failure itself, it is STILL DJI's baby.

IMHO.
2017-11-12
Use props
Rich Z
lvl.1

United States

Ouch!  YouTube video isn't displaying and I can't go back and edit it.

FYI, the YouTube play code for the video referenced above is: "a6zlOEsQrSc"

Maybe I am not entering the correct syntax to embed YouTube videos here.  Sorry...
2017-11-12
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

Rich Z Posted at 2017-11-12 23:03
Sorry, but maybe it is just my way of looking at things, but if the DJI hardware/software SYSTEM suffered a failure that killed the logging process and apparently also caused the failure of the drone, leading it to crash somewhere inaccessible, then how is the NOT a fault of DJI?  If the product is still under warranty, then the failure certainly appears to be DJI's equipment and/or software being at fault.  I think many people likely buy these things to take video in places and situations exactly where they are being subjected to winding up in inaccessible areas if a failure takes place.

There are LOTS of videos not only done by DJI but also apparently promoted by them as well seem to support what I am saying above. For instance -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6zlOEsQrSc.  When you get to 1:22 in that video, stop and read the text in the upper section of the screen.  If that isn't promoting the idea of sending the drone to places where a failure would very likely not make it unrecoverable afterwards, I don't know what is.  It's like selling a toaster oven that voids the warranty if the internal temperature gets hot enough to toast bread. This is why people are buying these flying platforms for photography and video.

Rich Z thank you!! Ps the drone was one month old and still have warrenty!!! and thank you to everyone else. DJI is seriously miss leading the consumers, and i want to put it out, that if you do invest in a drone, something like this can happen. Even if you could retrieve this drone which is about 15-20m under water DJI refresh might not even help cause it couldn't be proven to why it crashed in the first place!
2017-11-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Raptured Lens Posted at 2017-11-12 10:40
and clearly you dont understand! cause if something falls out of the sky while it says reconnecting? how are you meant to hit the return to home button? why is it not hovering when it says reconnecting? so clearly something went wrong. Well you tell me what went wrong cause i find it really strange and very unhelpful cause i like to know why it fell out of the sky and DJI is just covering it up with a coupon that is only valid for a month and somehow i am meant to get this cash within the time frame while still pay for everyday living. Some company doesn't really care about its consumers just there back pockets!

We would like to know the reason of the accident very much, but we cannot since the flight records were disconnected, we cannot analyze what happened afterwards. While there is no any abnormality with the remaining records, so we cannot say it was malfunction.
For this situation, we have provided the best offer, please reply the email sent by our team if you accept the coupon, we will help to apply as soon as possible.
2017-11-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Raptured Lens Posted at 2017-11-10 20:23
you tell me what went wrong here

I can't help you because despite asking multiple times when you were using your original account you've never provided access to the flight log. Once more, though, the instructions for retrieving and uploading the flight log are here; if you upload it to PhantomHelp and provide a link I'll take a look.

P.S. I've spent a fair amount of time on this forum and I don't recall ever seeing anyone get better results by badgering the DJI employees; if anything it has the opposite effect.
2017-11-13
Use props
Rich Z
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-13 03:14
We would like to know the reason of the accident very much, but we cannot since the flight records were disconnected, we cannot analyze what happened afterwards. While there is no any abnormality with the remaining records, so we cannot say it was malfunction.
For this situation, we have provided the best offer, please reply the email sent by our team if you accept the coupon, we will help to apply as soon as possible.

So the important question here seems to be "Can ANY malfunction in the drone, controller, hardware, or software cause a discontinuation of the flight records?"  If so, then whose fault will that HAVE to be?
2017-11-13
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-13 04:21
I can't help you because despite asking multiple times when you were using your original account you've never provided access to the flight log. Once more, though, the instructions for retrieving and uploading the flight log are here; if you upload it to PhantomHelp and provide a link I'll take a look.

P.S. I've spent a fair amount of time on this forum and I don't recall ever seeing anyone get better results by badgering the DJI employees; if anything it has the opposite effect.

this has been going since august it is now November! with no good outcome! and i have attached my flight records its in a PDF version on this forum its like in the first few comments if this happened to you. you be doing the same!
2017-11-13
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-13 03:14

well mindy theres the problem! why were the flight records disconnected? during mid-flight and returning to home? what cause that to happen? is that a very big problem!! sounds like software, and the drone could either be software or a hardware fault to to fall out of the ski!
2017-11-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Raptured Lens Posted at 2017-11-13 10:31
this has been going since august it is now November! with no good outcome! and i have attached my flight records its in a PDF version on this forum its like in the first few comments if this happened to you. you be doing the same!

If you read what I wrote, what I'd need is a PhantomHelp link to an uploaded log. The PDF file you attached doesn't provide any useful information.
2017-11-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Raptured Lens Posted at 2017-11-13 10:37
well mindy theres the problem! why were the flight records disconnected? during mid-flight and returning to home? what cause that to happen? is that a very big problem!! sounds like software, and the drone could either be software or a hardware fault to to fall out of the ski!

I believe our team has explained this before in the email. There may many possible reasons for a sudden ended flight record, for example: 1) USB cable is loosen; 2) Mobile Device powered off or crashed; 3) Remote controller shut down.
But without the flight records, we couldn’t verify what have happened afterwards, we have already provided the best offer, thanks for the understanding.
2017-11-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Rich Z Posted at 2017-11-13 07:43
So the important question here seems to be "Can ANY malfunction in the drone, controller, hardware, or software cause a discontinuation of the flight records?"  If so, then whose fault will that HAVE to be?

Hi, Rich, thanks for your attention to this case.
There are many possible reasons, we agree that the OP might not do anything wrong. Please don’t ignore that there was also no product malfunction found before the record was cut off, the remaining records are not enough for us to analyze, we have provided the best and final offer to OP, hope your kind understanding.
2017-11-13
Use props
Rich Z
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-13 19:24
Hi, Rich, thanks for your attention to this case.
There are many possible reasons, we agree that the OP might not do anything wrong. Please don’t ignore that there was also no product malfunction found before the record was cut off, the remaining records are not enough for us to analyze, we have provided the best and final offer to OP, hope your kind understanding.

Sorry, but no, I do not understand.  The customer should always be right unless proven wrong.  But in this case (and apparently others with DJI), it is the reverse.  Why would the assumption be made that it HAD to be pilot error unless proven otherwise?

This policy of DJI is not endearing you to at least this one potential customer here.  You act like a company on the ropes and trying to squeeze every penny it can instead of a major positive force in this industry.  Disconcerting, to say the least.

2017-11-13
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-13 19:19
I believe our team has explained this before in the email. There may many possible reasons for a sudden ended flight record, for example: 1) USB cable is loosen; 2) Mobile Device powered off or crashed; 3) Remote controller shut down.
But without the flight records, we couldn’t verify what have happened afterwards, we have already provided the best offer, thanks for the understanding.

thats a big fat NO you physically have to pull out the cable to do all that 1st battery in with a 100% controller it wouldn't be able to fly with out the phone GPS and a i never fly the drone with out a full powered  phone and the controller charges the phone as well so? how is that possible?
2017-11-13
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Rich Z Posted at 2017-11-13 20:35
Sorry, but no, I do not understand.  The customer should always be right unless proven wrong.  But in this case (and apparently others with DJI), it is the reverse.  Why would the assumption be made that it HAD to be pilot error unless proven otherwise?

This policy of DJI is not endearing you to at least this one potential customer here.  You act like a company on the ropes and trying to squeeze every penny it can instead of a major positive force in this industry.  Disconcerting, to say the least.

So what your saying is, if I'm flying, lets say, over water,  disconnect my cable on purpose, cutting off the data stream to my mobile device.....fly my P3,P4,Mavic, etc back with just my RC, while not reconnecting the mobile device cable (which can be done in all cases, leaving no record on my mobile device).......file a ticket with DJI saying my aircraft just disconnected for no reason at all and fell into the abyss, they are obligated to give me a new craft because the data stream cut off and it has to be their fault.  
Not sure how that would be a good business model.  I do not believe for a second that Raptured Lens did this........BUT that scenario could be achieved by anyone just disconnecting their cable over water/wild terrain and making a claim.
To me as DroneFlying said....without specific data files to look at....it could be anything from a malfunction to pilot error, etc.
2017-11-13
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Raptured Lens Posted at 2017-11-13 21:03
thats a big fat NO you physically have to pull out the cable to do all that 1st battery in with a 100% controller it wouldn't be able to fly with out the phone GPS and a i never fly the drone with out a full powered  phone and the controller charges the phone as well so? how is that possible?

The Mavic can be flown without a mobile device......it can be flown with just the RC.
2017-11-13
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-13 10:41
If you read what I wrote, what I'd need is a PhantomHelp link to an uploaded log. The PDF file you attached doesn't provide any useful information.

here is the link http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/NVZRKO7DI7SHIER443GV/ 2nd battery
2017-11-13
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

Raptured Lens Posted at 2017-11-13 21:14
here is the link http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/NVZRKO7DI7SHIER443GV/ 2nd battery

sorry meant 1st battery
2017-11-13
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-13 10:41

same spot couple of hours before what happened http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/623B2VBX1EW11LVNMAKF/
2017-11-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Rich Z Posted at 2017-11-13 20:35

If you were to buy a vehicle -- say a car or a motorcycle -- then crashed it and went back to the dealer, do you suppose they'd give you a free replacement just because you said the crash hadn't been your fault? And what if you couldn't even produce the crashed vehicle?

I don't always agree with DJI's analysis of these cases, but their policies are arguably even more reasonable than some other businesses in terms of how they handle these things.
2017-11-14
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Well, to be honest I was getting skeptical since you hadn't provided the log before, but you're right: it doesn't show any indication of pilot error.

Tmygun has summarized the situation very well and there's really not much more that I can add. I agree with you that the flying over water thing is a bit of a red herring (no pun intended), as many people do fly over water and I've seen DJI replace aircraft lost as a result, though it's typically been cases where it was more clear that the loss was caused by a product defect.

I do believe your version of what happened, but I also sympathize with DJI's plight. Realistically they can't replace every drone reported lost on the honor system, and that's basically what we're talking about here, because as Tmygun mentioned it would be easy for someone to fake a loss. In fact, I think at least part of the reason for the existence of the verbiage Mindy quoted is to protect DJI from being held responsible if an owner claims their drone was lost in an inaccessible location and never retrieved. It isn't that DJI is trying to rip off the consumer: they're just trying to protect themselves from being ripped off by the consumer, and I can't blame them for that.

When a drone is retrieved and the logs on it show that it was a defect DJI has a very good track record of doing what's right. But in cases like this where it can't be proved either way they usually try to split the difference by offering a heavily discounted replacement, which seems to me like a reasonable compromise. If I worked at DJI and had your firsthand knowledge of what took place I'd definitely want you to get a free replacement, but unfortunately the information they have available to them just isn't that definitive.
2017-11-14
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-14 04:53
Well, to be honest I was getting skeptical since you hadn't provided the log despite my requests to see it, but you're right: it doesn't show any indication of pilot error.

Tmygun has summarized the situation very well and there's really not much more that I can add. I agree with you that the flying over water thing is a bit of a red herring (no pun intended), as many people do fly over water and I've seen DJI replace aircraft lost as a result, though it's typically been cases where it was more clear that the loss was caused by a product defect.

Very well said.

Very curious data.....just a complete cutoff with no warnings at all.  Almost like the battery just popped out, and boom....nothing.
2017-11-14
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

Well, to be honest I was getting skeptical since you hadn't provided the log before, but you're right: it doesn't show any indication of pilot error.

lets face it i would still be flying today if my drone didn't cut of mid flight and i probably won't be getting a new one after this cause what if it happened again and even if i had DJI refresh it still wouldn't cover me. i would of loved to go retrieve the drone but being almost 100m of the shore its not worth my life in trying to retrieve something that shouldn't of fallen out of the sky in the first place. i be happy with a refurbished  drone, or cash back not a voucher that i have to redeem in one month. i saved up for 4mths to get this drone. Some people like my self can't come up with that money to use the voucher in that month with the cost of living on.
2017-11-14
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Raptured Lens Posted at 2017-11-14 10:48
lets face it i would still be flying today if my drone didn't cut of mid flight and i probably won't be getting a new one after this cause what if it happened again and even if i had DJI refresh it still wouldn't cover me. i would of loved to go retrieve the drone but being almost 100m of the shore its not worth my life in trying to retrieve something that shouldn't of fallen out of the sky in the first place. i be happy with a refurbished  drone, or cash back not a voucher that i have to redeem in one month. i saved up for 4mths to get this drone. Some people like my self can't come up with that money to use the voucher in that month with the cost of living on.

I do understand, and I'm really sorry that this happened. I have no doubt that you're telling the truth and aren't to blame for the loss, and for whatever it's worth, if I were the one at DJI making the decision you'd be getting a new one for free.
2017-11-14
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Australia

Well considering the same error has occurred to a friend of ours while flying over water (and he was able to retrieve the drone - DJI stated there was no error to be found)  Im really starting to believe DJI just dont care. I understand what your saying but how many drones will it take for them to realise there is a serious issue happening out there.
2017-11-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules