1155 17 2017-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I know it's nice to have them handy but do you guys ever use often, not at all or sometimes?

Basically I find myself not even using them because I'm too busy flying and taking shots I'd like to capture under my control.

I've used the (active tracking, spoltlight modes etc) a couple times but that's it. Honestly the 'Tap fly' one I'm a bit leery about that one.

Fear that one would go haywired -Yikes !

2017-11-11
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

I have tried out "Tripod", "terrain follow" and "Point of Interest", but concluded that they gave nothing of value for me.
Tripod, was very strange and uncontrollable, possibly due to the general issues experienced after the 01.04.062 FW.
Terrain follow i gave up as it was only able to rise in height, had the need to follow a field downhill.
PoI - possibly alright for the dance around a Christmas three or a church tower but not useful if you want to fly around most other things keeping same distance to the target all way around.

I would prefer more work was put into picture/movie features and less for the selfie stuff, after all P4P is promoted as a flying camera with professional quality.
2017-11-18
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

Do you know of any good tutorial about intelligent modes?
2017-11-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I suppose it’s better to have them than to be looking for them, it’s a good idea to try them sometimes they surprise you just how good they are, you mention tap fly, if you want to get video of a direct straight shot from where your standing say 100 metres to a target spot this really works great, you can just reverse in post and it becomes spectacular. Try it.
2017-11-18
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

KedDK Posted at 2017-11-18 11:01
I have tried out "Tripod", "terrain follow" and "oint of Interest", but concluded that they gave nothing of value for me.
Tripod, was very strange and uncontrollable, possibly due to the general issues experienced after the 01.04.062 FW.
Terrain follow i gave up as it was only able to rise in height, had the need to follow a field downhill.

Hi KedDK,

I agree with you entirely. What are really required are more professional oriented features. I don’t need to mention “off line planning”, it is on the list of many users. I would like to see such things as the ability to set the home point to the controller for filming from moving vehicles like boats and cars or possibly a hand catch feature. A common data interface would be an idea so third parties could link via this to the controller or DJI App, or allow people who can to develop (program) their own software features.

DJI need to shift their attitude to third parties, they alone cannot and will never be able to supply everything that drone uses want.

2017-11-18
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-18 13:00
I suppose it’s better to have them than to be looking for them, it’s a good idea to try them sometimes they surprise you just how good they are, you mention tap fly, if you want to get video of a direct straight shot from where your standing say 100 metres to a target spot this really works great, you can just reverse in post and it becomes spectacular. Try it.

I'll give it a shot at some point just in case I use it in the near future.
2017-11-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dockater Posted at 2017-11-18 13:46
Hi KedDK,

I agree with you entirely. What are really required are more professional oriented features. I don’t need to mention “off line planning”, it is on the list of many users. I would like to see such things as the ability to set the home point to the controller for filming from moving vehicles like boats and cars or possibly a hand catch feature. A common data interface would be an idea so third parties could link via this to the controller or DJI App, or allow people who can to develop (program) their own software features.

You can already hand catch, dji’s SDK is available to all third parties and being used by many, filming from moving cars maybe a safety issue also a great source of interference. You could try Matrice 210 which may get you somewhere near what your looking to do.

“Dji need to shift their attitude “  you must realise there is no other consumer drone company out there that is any way close to challenging their market share which continues to grow for some reason.
2017-11-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-11-18 13:46
Hi KedDK,

Aloha Dockater,

In the Main Controller Settings, you can set the Home Point to the Phantom launch location or to the controller.  Here is a screen capture from DJI Grace's DJI GO 4 manual at the top of the Forum thread list.

Aloha and Drone On!
MainControllerSettings.jpg
2017-11-19
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

Cetacean Posted at 2017-11-19 00:47
Aloha Dockater,

In the Main Controller Settings, you can set the Home Point to the Phantom launch location or to the controller.  Here is a screen capture from DJI Grace's DJI GO 4 manual at the top of the Forum thread list.

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately when I go in to the setup I get the following picture.

For some reason the scroll does not begin at the top of the list, now l know its there.

Up till now I had never thought to scroll up.
2017-11-19
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-11-19 02:14
Thank you for the information. Unfortunately when I go in to the setup I get the following picture.
[view_image]
For some reason the scroll does not begin at the top of the list, now l know its there.

Aloha Dockater,

With DJI, everything is on the table.  Since they are the giant ship moving on a path, it is very hard for them to change direction with any speed useful to us.  It also takes a lot of time for any direction change to take place.  Under those conditions, it is much easier for us to try to fit into their system than to try to get that giant ship to move fast in the direction of our suggestions.

Fortunately, DJI does listen to us and tries to help on a number of fronts.  But when there is a possibility of misunderstanding, it is more expedient for us to try to use the systems they have in place to solve our problems, like you did with your request.  That is the saving grace of our Forum.  We can actually help each other.

BTW, your problem is why I try to get large screen tablets.  Too much gets hidden with those small phones and tablets.  Even then I still screw up!

Let me know how it goes with the Controller Home Point option.  I have been wanting to try it but there is too much chance to crash where I live.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-11-19
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

For me, the most useful are Active Track because it keeps the camera pointing at the target while you fly it in whatever direction you want to go, which would be almost impossible to do smoothly otherwise, and Course Lock because it keeps the aircraft flying straight while you point the camera in the direction you want which again would be impossible to do smoothly otherwise because turning the camera normally changes the flight direction:

2017-11-19
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-11-19 15:56
For me, the most useful are Active Track because it keeps the camera pointing at the target while you fly it in whatever direction you want to go, which would be almost impossible to do smoothly otherwise, and Course Lock because it keeps the aircraft flying straight while you point the camera in the direction you want which again would be impossible to do smoothly otherwise because turning the camera normally changes the flight direction:

https://youtu.be/wCm4kHdAzao

Exactly, that's also why really I like the using the AT feature.

BTW, really enjoyed that train scene. Amazing footage there.
2017-11-19
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-11-19 16:37
Exactly, that's also why really I like the using the AT feature.

BTW, really enjoyed that train scene. Amazing footage there.

It looks like I'm just flying backwards, but if you do that then the camera isn't looking at the train and it just looks wrong, you need to rotate to face the train without changing flight direction, easy when you use Course Lock.

It helps to have an ancient steam engine from the 1930s that only does 60mph, when I tried it using sports mode instead of course lock to try and keep ahead of a modern steam engine things didn't go so well, Tornado was built in 2008 and was recorded doing 100mph earlier this year, too fast even for my action camera on the ground, and I found out that sports mode takes time to accelerate! :

2017-11-19
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Dockater Posted at 2017-11-19 02:14
[view_image]

I could be wrong but it is my understanding that this is not dynamic updated, as the remote moves you might have to change HP at intervals. Have this in mind and test how it act just to avoid accident landing in wrong places. :-)
2017-11-19
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-18 13:00

"I suppose it’s better to have them than to be looking for them"

I fully agree with that but as a lot of things get removed without a notice, just thinking of "Smart RTH" toggle, "Gimbal Yaw" ajustment and "HDMI overlay" toggle, i would better be without some of the intelligent flymodes as they all in all does nothing you can't do manually with some training and a few attempts to get it perfect.

Specially the Gesture/selfie things i think is more a PoC than pratical used for other than a "must try", i would wish for better bracket control, focus control etc. more than the fancy modes.
2017-11-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

KedDK Posted at 2017-11-19 22:30
"I suppose it’s better to have them than to be looking for them"

I fully agree with that but as a lot of things get removed without a notice, just thinking of "Smart RTH" toggle, "Gimbal Yaw" ajustment and "HDMI overlay" toggle, i would better be without some of the intelligent flymodes as they all in all does nothing you can't do manually with some training and a few attempts to get it perfect.

Not to sure if intelligent flight modes are a result of other features being removed, most if not all intelligent features have been there since release of P4Pro. Yes other features that people were using should be reinstated and hopefully we will see those back soon.
2017-11-20
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-11-19 15:56

https://youtu.be/wCm4kHdAzao

Nostalgia pure.
2017-11-20
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

KedDK Posted at 2017-11-19 21:56
I could be wrong but it is my understanding that this is not dynamic updated, as the remote moves you might have to change HP at intervals. Have this in mind and test how it act just to avoid accident landing in wrong places. :-)

Hi KedDK, I am checking it out both in reality and on the internet, but I think you are right. In dynamic terms, setting the "Home-Point" to the controller finds its equal somewhere between a Three-Toed Sloth and a Dodo. I will report later.
2017-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules