Wobble
1785 16 2017-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LMAC21074
lvl.1
Flight distance : 440023 ft
United States

When I have been flying in low wind or sometimes no wind I am getting a wobble in my video and on the app. Today it was happening even while landed. What could be causing it? When the camera was landed there was no wind and I could not see the gimbal moving but was still getting wobble. Any help would be great
2017-11-11
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

Can you post some video of the wobble? That might be helpful in figuring out what's happening.
2017-11-11
Use props
LMAC21074
lvl.1
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-11-11 12:51
Can you post some video of the wobble? That might be helpful in figuring out what's happening.

https://youtu.be/upd-ljt2XKs

This is the videos off the app not the card of the wobble while flying
2017-11-11
Use props
LMAC21074
lvl.1
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-11-11 12:51

https://youtu.be/wFZNDOY17IM

Here is video of the wobble while landed. It doesn’t happen all the time so not sure what to do
2017-11-11
Use props
Henry M.Y.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

LMAC21074 Posted at 2017-11-11 15:29
https://youtu.be/wFZNDOY17IM

Here is video of the wobble while landed. It doesn’t happen all the time so not sure what to do

This is the "Mavic jello effect" problem.

I experienced the same. In my case it was completely cured by adding a ND filter. It seemed to me either the small added weight of the ND filter solved the micro-vibration of the gimbal, or the slower shutter speed had gotten rid of the sensor read-out timings during the micro-vibrating gimbal that cured the problem.

Henry
2017-11-11
Use props
LMAC21074
lvl.1
United States

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2017-11-11 16:02
This is the "Mavic jello effect" problem.

I experienced the same. In my case it was completely cured by adding a ND filter. It seemed to me either the small added weight of the ND filter solved the micro-vibration of the gimbal, or the slower shutter speed had gotten rid of the sensor read-out timings during the micro-vibrating gimbal that cured the problem.

Do you have a recommendation of kind of nd filter?
2017-11-11
Use props
Mark Blaide
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246014 ft
United States

So you guys are ok with having to add a lens filter to fix it? Seems like a defect that DJI should cover under warranty.
2017-11-11
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

That's got nothing to do with a filter.  In fact, your second video looks like a night shot.  Grab some real video and post a link to it.  Let DJI take a look at it.
2017-11-11
Use props
LMAC21074
lvl.1
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-11-11 19:45
That's got nothing to do with a filter.  In fact, your second video looks like a night shot.  Grab some real video and post a link to it.  Let DJI take a look at it.

I had the camera on manual as I was adjusting the aperture to see if that would help. I didn’t have time to get the original off the card. Will do so tomorrow and post it
2017-11-11
Use props
LMAC21074
lvl.1
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-11-11 19:45

Also the sun was shining ion the boards in front of the camera causing the shutter to close a lot
2017-11-11
Use props
Henry M.Y.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

LMAC21074 Posted at 2017-11-11 16:28
Do you have a recommendation of kind of nd filter?

I am not an expert, but my experience may help.

Correct me if I'm wrong - both your video footages were taken in bright sunlight. In particular the second one where your Mavic Pro was sitting on a bench with reflected sunlight entering Mvaic's lens that the automatic exposure closed down the shutter time window that gave the background "night" feeling. AG0N-Gary did not notice this when he viewed it.

Yes, the gimbal of your Mavic may had been vibrating at its natural frequency beyond specifications. You can send it in to DJI for a warranty repair but it will take time.

I see no harm to you for you to try the ND filter solution, in particular you will need one set if you are aiming for superb video footages. If the slightly added weight of a ND filter can cure your problem, why waste time to send it in and loose your precious moments of sooting aerial video?

Just my 2 cents.

Henry
IMG_8006.JPG
2017-11-11
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Check your gimbal seating and make sure it is underneath the tabs front and back. Do a gimbal calibration. If the problem still persists then contact DJI support as this could be a hardware issue that should not need to be fixed with ND filters.It does look like jello but also check the condition of your props to exclude a damaged prop that is causing vibration.
2017-11-11
Use props
LMAC21074
lvl.1
United States

so I decided to go back one firmware then re-install the current firmware using dji assistant 2. I did get an email from DJI and they suggested calibrating my imu, and when I got to the calibration page I noticed that one of my accelerometer Bias was high on ACC2. Not sure if that means anything but I will try tomorrow and see if it all worked or helped.
2017-11-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

LMAC21074 Posted at 2017-11-12 14:38
so I decided to go back one firmware then re-install the current firmware using dji assistant 2. I did get an email from DJI and they suggested calibrating my imu, and when I got to the calibration page I noticed that one of my accelerometer Bias was high on ACC2. Not sure if that means anything but I will try tomorrow and see if it all worked or helped.

Just to verify, is there any impact damage or hard landing? Please calibrate IMU, gimbal and the compass, and like Jenee 2 mentioned, make sure that the props are not damaged. Also, mount the anti-drop hooks in its right position. If the issue persists, please check if the original video has this effect, too. If the issue persists, please send it back for repair. https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
2017-11-13
Use props
LMAC21074
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-13 01:49
Just to verify, is there any impact damage or hard landing? Please calibrate IMU, gimbal and the compass, and like Jenee 2 mentioned, make sure that the props are not damaged. Also, mount the anti-drop hooks in its right position. If the issue persists, please check if the original video has this effect, too. If the issue persists, please send it back for repair. https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area

There is no damage at all or hard landing and everything is in its place. Going for a test fly now
2017-11-13
Use props
LMAC21074
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-13 01:49

Imu calibration for the win, took the drone out for a windy fly and no wobble at all not even close and got some good shots as well!
http://
2017-11-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

LMAC21074 Posted at 2017-11-13 11:03
Imu calibration for the win, took the drone out for a windy fly and no wobble at all not even close and got some good shots as well!

Yep, great to hear the positive feedback. Happy flying!
2017-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules