Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
re: external drive capture via CS hdmi port
1951 18 2017-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
geoffz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd like to see if anyone has had any experience or know of anyone that has tested a external drive capture device with the Crystal Sky HDMI output?

For example, using any of the Atomos series (blade/inferno/shogun, et al)

2017-11-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Since CrystalSky doesn't support HDMI input, sorry that it doesn't work with third party device.
2017-11-16
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

Wouldn't it be simpler to use a screen recording app? I have not tested any apps on my unit yet, but i am sure someone have.
2017-11-16
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

StianGel Posted at 2017-11-16 07:00
Wouldn't it be simpler to use a screen recording app? I have not tested any apps on my unit yet, but i am sure someone have.

Mindy/Stiangel...

I'm referring to the CS HDMI...OUTPUT...NOT the input!.

Can an external recorder (Atomos device) record directly from this OUTUPUT?

The benefits would be enormous.
2017-11-16
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Norway

geoffz Posted at 2017-11-16 12:49
Mindy/Stiangel...

I'm referring to the CS HDMI...OUTPUT...NOT the input!.

Yes, i understood the first post.
Why use an external device to record what you see on the CS when you could possibly use a screen recording app. (I am assuming you want to record while flying.)
Keep in mind that the in-flight downlink is usually 720p, and all eventual stutters will be captured.
The CS outputs a regular HDMI signal, so i can't see why it should not work with an external device.
2017-11-16
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

StianGel Posted at 2017-11-16 15:05
Yes, i understood the first post.
Why use an external device to record what you see on the CS when you could possibly use a screen recording app. (I am assuming you want to record while flying.)
Keep in mind that the in-flight downlink is usually 720p, and all eventual stutters will be captured.

I believe the signal is 1080p...I believe I saw that posted by a DJI monitor.

The whole point of recording to an external device like an Atomos is the benefit of greater bitrate and more robust & better codec/color space (prores/dnxhd, etc...)

Btw...I'm not talking about up-ressing either.  Doesn't work.

This is a very common occurrence in the DSLR world.

I just have not seen it demonstrated or tested in the drone community.

Perhaps someone can do that and/or point out a tutorial(s).
2017-11-16
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Norway

Aha, i see.
Last time i tested the HDMI output i think it outputted 720p. I can do a test when i get home later.
2017-11-17
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

StianGel Posted at 2017-11-17 00:11
Aha, i see.
Last time i tested the HDMI output i think it outputted 720p. I can do a test when i get home later.

That would be good.

Can we hear from a DJI engineer perspective of the specs and topic?
2017-11-17
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Norway

Just had a look at different output resolutions on my 5.5" CS.
On my 1080p tv it could supply 1080 @ 60fps. That is the max resolution i have to test with.
2017-11-18
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

StianGel Posted at 2017-11-18 06:04
Just had a look at different output resolutions on my 5.5" CS.
On my 1080p tv it could supply 1080 @ 60fps. That is the max resolution i have to test with.

So that's what I thought or had heard from DJI

That signal should be able to be captured via external drives for improved bitrate and codec performance which would improved post production and image quality.

I'd like to hear from anyone who might have be forward thinking enough to have tested.

Or so far at least, DJI has made no comment and that could be suspect. TBD

2017-11-18
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2840512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

geoffz Posted at 2017-11-18 09:04
So that's what I thought or had heard from DJI

That signal should be able to be captured via external drives for improved bitrate and codec performance which would improved post production and image quality.

Omg why on earth would you record an 8bit, ultracompressed jerky video whose sole purpose is to monitore the tru high quality video you are recording on your ssd. Apple Prores  is not good enough for you? Record raw then but the video you see on the screen while recording is pure garbage and it is meant for other purposes like monitoring, live broadcasting and stuff.
Hope this helps you save an headache and money over a useless goal.
2017-11-19
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Elettrone78 Posted at 2017-11-19 14:41
Omg why on earth would you record an 8bit, ultracompressed jerky video whose sole purpose is to monitore the tru high quality video you are recording on your ssd. Apple Prores  is not good enough for you? Record raw then but the video you see on the screen while recording is pure garbage and it is meant for other purposes like monitoring, live broadcasting and stuff.
Hope this helps you save an headache and money over a useless goal.

Good to hear your astute knowledgeable comment.

Be sure to share more of your technical expertise.

2017-11-19
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

geoffz Posted at 2017-11-19 21:27
Good to hear your astute knowledgeable comment.

Be sure to share more of your technical expertise.

I was trying to help, no need to be ummanerred and sarcastic, you are free to do as you wish offcourse but the feed on your monitor is subject to compression, stuttering and everything...it is not an ideal source for a video master, that's why we have the option to record apple prores and cinema dng.
Have a nice day.
2017-11-20
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Elettrone78 Posted at 2017-11-20 07:28
I was trying to help, no need to be ummanerred and sarcastic, you are free to do as you wish offcourse but the feed on your monitor is subject to compression, stuttering and everything...it is not an ideal source for a video master, that's why we have the option to record apple prores and cinema dng.
Have a nice day.

Not all DJI drones are able to do so.

So far, have not heard any technical comment from DJI.

2017-11-20
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

geoffz Posted at 2017-11-20 07:56
Not all DJI drones are able to do so.

So far, have not heard any technical comment from DJI.

Aww sorry I really tought we were talking about the Inspire series, my bad x_x"
Anyway it doesn't change the fact that the video data link has a lower overall quality for many reasons than the one you record on the sd.
Cheers.
2017-11-20
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Elettrone78 Posted at 2017-11-20 08:59
Aww sorry I really tought we were talking about the Inspire series, my bad x_x"
Anyway it doesn't change the fact that the video data link has a lower overall quality for many reasons than the one you record on the sd.
Cheers.

Sure, from what I understand the signal is full 1080p
2017-11-20
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

geoffz Posted at 2017-11-20 09:43
Sure, from what I understand the signal is full 1080p

Reolution is not all that matters...many if not all 1080p videos on youtube are worst in quality than a 1080p bluray...
Whatever, you look like you don’t wanna listen, have it your way.
2017-11-20
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Elettrone78 Posted at 2017-11-20 14:18
Reolution is not all that matters...many if not all 1080p videos on youtube are worst in quality than a 1080p bluray...
Whatever, you look like you don’t wanna listen, have it your way.

yep, guess you are correct
2017-11-20
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.3
Flight distance : 452835 ft
United States

Did you have any luck finding an answer to your question. If I understand what your after I think I'm looking to try the same thing. I have the crystalsky and was under the impression it recorded to the dual sd card slots, but it doesn't so thats basically useless. I'm hoping the HDMI output sends a good enough signal to use a recorder like the Atomos Ninjastar. It would be great to have that quality of prores to work with. I just don't want to spend more money on something that doewsn't work like I thought it would, case in point the crystalsky. I have no idea why they made it so it won't record to the sd card slot, absurd. Please let me know if you figured this out.
2018-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules