Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Remote Controller Is this Normal?
1689 13 2017-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Joshie2828
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16916 ft
Philippines

Hi Guys,

I recently bought my dji spark drone flymore combo. so basically it pairs with the remote.  at first everything seems normal. I power on the remote using one press then another hold press. but since yesterday while I was flying my drone the remote suddenly turned off on its own. Good thing I did not panicked and the drone was low and near me. I lost control and the remote does not power the usual way. I tried the solution I found online the pause flight then power button but it didnt work. the only thing that worked for me is the Hold the RTH button, then press power button then hold.

My question is, is this normal? or I have to be worried. specially I had the case when the controller suddenly turns off. Any advice?

2017-11-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Did the RC beep before switching off? Were you actively using it at the time it switched off?
2017-11-11
Use props
Joshie2828
lvl.1
Philippines

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-11 23:43
Did the RC beep before switching off? Were you actively using it at the time it switched off?

Yes it beeped and then it shut down while my drone is in the air.
2017-11-12
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Joshie2828 Posted at 2017-11-12 01:19

You forgot to answer the second part of my question. Were you actively using it when it happened? Or were you maybe flying with gestures? The RC has a timeout function when not used and the beeping is an alert that it will soon switch off. Could it be that this is what has happened in your case?
2017-11-12
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting post from Wachtberger, how to cancel that switching off? Press wich button ? Guess i missed it in the RC manual, i know that RTFM is very important!
2017-11-12
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

JJBspark Posted at 2017-11-12 02:32
Interesting post from Wachtberger, how to cancel that switching off? Press wich button ? Guess i missed it in the RC manual, i know that RTFM is very important!

Push the power button once. But still, if this has happened in the case here above it might be a bug. It should not happen as long as the RC is linked to the AC and AC is flying, but only when there is no activity at all.
2017-11-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Joshie2828 Posted at 2017-11-12 01:19

Did you fully charge your RC before flight? Any message from your phone? Can you connect your RC with AC now?
2017-11-12
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is not normal for RC.
2017-11-12
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Since I was curious, I have just tested it myself. If the RC is left idle without being linked to the Spark, the timeout starts after 5 minutes. It then beeps every two seconds for another minute before shutting down (this is not documented in the manual, I found it out by coincidence soon after I had got my Spark). Then I repeated the test with the RC being linked to the Spark (running but not flying). In this scenario the timeout was not initiated. Therefore I did not deem it necessary to repeat the same test again with Spark flying.
From this I conclude that there is apparently no bug with the timeout function of the RC, but that something else must have caused the problem in the case described above. Maybe battery not sufficiently charged and shutdown happened because of that?
2017-11-12
Use props
Joshie2828
lvl.1
Philippines

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-12 01:32
You forgot to answer the second part of my question. Were you actively using it when it happened? Or were you maybe flying with gestures? The RC has a timeout function when not used and the beeping is an alert that it will soon switch off. Could it be that this is what has happened in your case?

Hi sir, Yes I was actively using it. not flying with gestures but with the remote. it beeped twice to be exact, before it shuts down.
2017-11-14
Use props
Joshie2828
lvl.1
Philippines

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-11-12 03:11
Did you fully charge your RC before flight? Any message from your phone? Can you connect your RC with AC now?

It has 2 white lights on it while I was flying it. No message at all except after the RC died. the camera says it switched to active track. and then it slowly landed on its position luckily there were no water in the landing area. And yes I can connect to the AC, but the anxiety of the automatic shutdown is bothering me. I am gonna have a hiking this weekend and Im afraid while its far from me the same scenario will happen
2017-11-14
Use props
Joshie2828
lvl.1
Philippines

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-12 09:28
Since I was curious, I have just tested it myself. If the RC is left idle without being linked to the Spark, the timeout starts after 5 minutes. It then beeps every two seconds for another minute before shutting down (this is not documented in the manual, I found it out by coincidence soon after I had got my Spark). Then I repeated the test with the RC being linked to the Spark (running but not flying). In this scenario the timeout was not initiated. Therefore I did not deem it necessary to repeat the same test again with Spark flying.
From this I conclude that there is apparently no bug with the timeout function of the RC, but that something else must have caused the problem in the case described above. Maybe battery not sufficiently charged and shutdown happened because of that?

Well I guess I will not use the remote if it only has 2 white lights left? But how about the part where I can only open it using the return home button? not the power button.
2017-11-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Joshie2828 Posted at 2017-11-14 00:56
Well I guess I will not use the remote if it only has 2 white lights left? But how about the part where I can only open it using the return home button? not the power button.

Two LEDs on should still be good for quite some flying time I believe. With regard to the buttons I have really no idea what could have caused this malfunction. Hopefully other users or DJI team can help with this.
2017-11-14
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Joshie2828 Posted at 2017-11-14 00:54
It has 2 white lights on it while I was flying it. No message at all except after the RC died. the camera says it switched to active track. and then it slowly landed on its position luckily there were no water in the landing area. And yes I can connect to the AC, but the anxiety of the automatic shutdown is bothering me. I am gonna have a hiking this weekend and Im afraid while its far from me the same scenario will happen

In this case, I would recommend you export the flight data and upload to dropbox for further analysis. Please post the link here.
2017-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules