12Next >
6726 40 2017-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aerialgraphy
New
Flight distance : 128406 ft
Kuwait

Mine flew away yesterday without any error showing in the screen. I had to switch it off while flying because it was flying fast and i didn't want it to harm anyone.. Anyway, it crashed inside an abandoned cemetery

I have the log
I have the camera footage as well

one of my friends told me to not waste my time because dji will not replace it for anyone.. is that true?

2017-11-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to read on the accident, did you retrieve the drone in the end?
We will repair or replace the drone if the accident was caused by non-pilot error, please send in the drone for data analysis if it is still in warranty period.
Please contact our support to start a ticket in working hours.
2017-11-12
Use props
fansbec6b483
New
Flight distance : 4174173 ft
United States

DJI is awesome! This is especially true when you purchase the extra (whatever they call it) coverage or insurance for $100. Fix or replace your Mavic during the first year - twice - provided you can return the drone. Cost $80 the first time (already used that one) and, I think $180 the second time. My crashed due to pilot error - forgot I was flying it (sounds odd) after setting the home point (unintentionally) over my patio under a lot of trees. The Mavic tried so hard not to crash, but once the batteries died, it did too. (I was filming the sunset in tripod mode, got bored and started doing yard work... oops! What a surprise as I raked leaves and find a Mavic among the pile!)
2017-11-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s something you just don’t know whether they will replace or give you a discount “usually 30%” off buying a new aircraft , also remember you still have a RC value €350.
If you want to learn more of what occurred you could upload your log to link below. Just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post your link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-11-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Are you still able to power on the drone? If so, please retrieve the flight log (DAT file) from the aircraft before sending it to DJI. The instructions for retrieving DAT files are here and once you've accessed it you should upload it to DropBox and provide a link in this thread. The correct file will have a date and time that correspond to when the flight occurred and be tens or hundreds of megabytes in size. If you aren't sure which is the correct one then just include all those that you think might be from the flight that ended with a crash. The video might also be helpful so please upload it to DropBox and provide a link to it as well.
2017-11-12
Use props
Aerialgraphy
New
Kuwait

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-12 03:16
Sorry to read on the accident, did you retrieve the drone in the end?
We will repair or replace the drone if the accident was caused by non-pilot error, please send in the drone for data analysis if it is still in warranty period.
Please contact our support to start a ticket in working hours.

Already did, Yes i think its under warranty since i bought it couple of days ago.
2017-11-12
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aerialgraphy Posted at 2017-11-12 03:59
Already did, Yes i think its under warranty since i bought it couple of days ago.

Let us know how this work out.
2017-11-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hope your back up and flying soon.
2017-11-12
Use props
Aerialgraphy
New
Kuwait

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-12 03:50
It’s something you just don’t know whether they will replace or give you a discount “usually 30%” off buying a new aircraft , also remember you still have a RC value €350.
If you want to learn more of what occurred you could upload your log to link below. Just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post your link.

Here we go: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/ZI56WBDRVTYWV0XIGQMA/
2017-11-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

It appears likely that this occurred because your Mavic's compass was affected by the steel rebar in the concrete from which it took off. If you send the drone to DJI they'll examine the same DAT file that I requested above, which will provide a better indication of what happened. Assuming they confirm this diagnosis then it isn't likely you'll get a free warranty replacement as technically this would be a case of pilot error.
2017-11-12
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

with so much metal everywhere, why would taking off from concrete be a "pilot error"? I take off from a metal roof, concrete, boats, ext ext. I never seem to have compass issues while doing it?
2017-11-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Bulldog Posted at 2017-11-12 05:06
with so much metal everywhere, why would taking off from concrete be a "pilot error"? I take off from a metal roof, concrete, boats, ext ext. I never seem to have compass issues while doing it?

with so much metal everywhere, why would taking off from concrete be a "pilot error"?

Because the manual specifically says to avoid metal.

I take off from a metal roof, concrete, boats, ext ext. I never seem to have compass issues while doing it?

Then you've either gotten lucky so far or the metal you're taking off from isn't ferrous (e.g., aluminum).
2017-11-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aerialgraphy Posted at 2017-11-12 04:52
Here we go: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/ZI56WBDRVTYWV0XIGQMA/

It simply looks like compass problem and it’s most likely you had it from the launch, you almost certainly picked up some interference from where you took off or immediate surroundings, it’s strange that it didn’t go into Atti mode as it usually does, it stayed in gps and was responding to your stick movements but I presume not correctly.
That fact that you say you received no screen warnings is very strange, maybe just replay your flight in your app to reconfirm this, because you really should have and it might have been a signal to you to try to land, because you still had gps and although it may have been difficult with a warning you had some chance.
Try getting your dat file up I’m sure droneflying will be able to find out a little more of what happened.

Good luck.
2017-11-12
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-12 05:09
with so much metal everywhere, why would taking off from concrete be a "pilot error"?

Because the manual specifically to avoid metal.

Wow, thanks for the heads up.........

Does that mean you never launch from concrete? How far away does one need to be from concrete? Thanks for the response DronFlying.
2017-11-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Bulldog Posted at 2017-11-12 05:16
Wow, thanks for the heads up.........

Does that mean you never launch from concrete? How far away does one need to be from concrete? Thanks for the response DronFlying.

I sometimes do (launch from concrete) but you have to keep an eye out for a warning about compass interference and sometimes just a very small change in location can have a big impact.

The best thing to do is check before launch to see if the aircraft icon (arrow) in the Go app is pointing in the same direction on the map as the aircraft is actually pointing: if they're different then your compass is being affected by metal and something like what the OP experienced may occur.

As you indicated, though, it's possible to repeatedly launch near metal and not have anything happen. There was a thread quite a while back from a guy who launched from a bench he had taken off from many times before, but eventually he took off just a little too close to the metal posts supporting the bench and his Mavic ended up crashing.

2017-11-12
Use props
Yudiarta
lvl.1
Flight distance : 196726 ft
Indonesia

My mavic fly normal, there are no notice error, when a height of 53 meters and distance of 276 meters when I was taking pictures suddenly drones my connection disconnected, the look on the screen remote blank as well as on the screen mobile, I was worried drones I flew away, but it turns out drones I go back to the starting point when fly, whereas in the remote and screen mobile I still blank, thank the Lord, I am grateful my mavic can back without any damage the least, that I would like to ask why can occur like that?
Screenshot_20171112-223833.jpg
2017-11-12
Use props
Yudiarta
lvl.1
Indonesia

Error blank spot
2017-11-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

I'm not currently able to download anything using that link.
2017-11-12
Use props
Yudiarta
lvl.1
Indonesia

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-12 11:09
I'm not currently able to download anything using that link.

sorry for the link

please check this
2017-11-12
Use props
Aerialgraphy
New
Kuwait

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-12 04:55
It appears likely that this occurred because your Mavic's compass was affected by the steel rebar in the concrete from which it took off. If you send the drone to DJI they'll examine the same DAT file that I requested above, which will provide a better indication of what happened. Assuming they confirm this diagnosis then it isn't likely you'll get a free warranty replacement as technically this would be a case of pilot error.

Usually when there is any interference or magnet radiation a message popups up telling that there is something wrong. Am a DJI customer since the beginning and I owned many drones and know how to pick the right area for taking off...etc

The situation here is different since everything was perfect till it took off when suddenly it drifted so fast before i switch it off in the air.

If there are any magnetic radiation in the floor then it must sense it before the take off. Now I got kind of phobia and i canceled all my scheduled aerial business because I dont want to lose my inspire pro too!   
2017-11-13
Use props
Aerialgraphy
New
Kuwait

Guys, I've just made this video to show you what happend exactly:
2017-11-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Aerialgraphy Posted at 2017-11-13 02:29
Usually when there is any interference or magnet radiation a message popups up telling that there is something wrong. Am a DJI customer since the beginning and I owned many drones and know how to pick the right area for taking off...etc

The situation here is different since everything was perfect till it took off when suddenly it drifted so fast before i switch it off in the air.

Usually when there is any interference or magnet radiation a message popups up telling that there is something wrong

Yes, sometimes you'll get a warning about magnetic interference, but not always.

Am a DJI customer since the beginning and I owned many drones and know how to pick the right area for taking off...etc

Then given your high level of expertise you should have no trouble providing a link to the flight's DAT file in order to determine what happened. In the meantime, your video looks very much like what happens when you take off from a geomagnetically distorted location, and Google Maps shows that location to be what appears to be a parking lot or similar area that would typically contain steel rebar.
2017-11-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Yudiarta Posted at 2017-11-12 19:47
sorry for the link

please check this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jo0vwKtovM

Please use the instructions in this post to retrieve and provide a link to the DAT file for your flight, preferably in a separate thread so that I and others don't confuse your problem with that of this thread's OP.
2017-11-13
Use props
Aerialgraphy
New
Kuwait

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-13 03:33
Usually when there is any interference or magnet radiation a message popups up telling that there is something wrong

Yes, sometimes you'll get a warning about magnetic interference, but not always.

I've posted the file yesterday already, Scroll up please and check it
2017-11-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Aerialgraphy Posted at 2017-11-13 04:18
I've posted the file yesterday already, Scroll up please and check it

What you provided is a link to the TXT file uploaded to PhantomHelp, but what I asked for -- and what Hallmark further encouraged you to provide -- is the DAT file. They aren't the same thing; the TXT file is stored on the mobile device and has far less information than the DAT file, which is on the aircraft. The TXT file has very limited usefulness in diagnosing magnetic interference problems, which is why I asked for the DAT file.
2017-11-13
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very much not true what your friend sad about DJI never replacing. I lost a Phantom a while back. After DJI determined it was no fault of mine, they replaced the quad at no cost. Of course, every case is different.
2017-11-13
Use props
Aerialgraphy
New
Kuwait

For people whom said there is an interference, I flew thousand time from exactly same spot with many drones, even with the same mavic pro day before the crash.. I had no problems at all, why now? I honestly have the money and can buy dozen mavics but its not about this.. the problem is this crash made me fear flying my other drones, Imagine this happend and the drone is near my head? it was so fast..

anyway, I've contacted DJI the first day i posted here and till now i did not get any reply. how many days they usually take to reply to emails?
2017-11-14
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Aerialgraphy Posted at 2017-11-14 05:07
For people whom said there is an interference, I flew thousand time from exactly same spot with many drones, even with the same mavic pro day before the crash.. I had no problems at all, why now? I honestly have the money and can buy dozen mavics but its not about this.. the problem is this crash made me fear flying my other drones, Imagine this happend and the drone is near my head? it was so fast..

anyway, I've contacted DJI the first day i posted here and till now i did not get any reply. how many days they usually take to reply to emails?

I honestly have the money and can buy dozen mavics

Well, if you keep launching from that same location you may need to do just that; perhaps they'll even give you some kind of volume discount.

So I take it you aren't going to be posting the DAT file from the final flight of the now-deceased Mavic I, correct?
2017-11-14
Use props
fans634a8e87
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-14 05:10
I honestly have the money and can buy dozen mavics

Well, if you keep launching from that same location you may need to do just that; perhaps they'll even give you some kind of volume discount.

Drone flying please stop trolling this thread and have some compassion. I think it is unfair to assume most people know that concrete structures are reinforced with metal. If there was a compass issue the app should have told the user before they took off or slightly after that. Let's have some positive intent and assume the user did not willfully crash their drone or ignore warnings from the app. I'm just saying let's try to be helpful in a positive manner.
2017-11-14
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

fans634a8e87 Posted at 2017-11-14 07:59
Drone flying please stop trolling this thread and have some compassion. I think it is unfair to assume most people know that concrete structures are reinforced with metal. If there was a compass issue the app should have told the user before they took off or slightly after that. Let's have some positive intent and assume the user did not willfully crash their drone or ignore warnings from the app. I'm just saying let's try to be helpful in a positive manner.

Drone flying please stop trolling this thread

I'm not; in fact, I'm the one who identified the reason for the crash.

and have some compassion

I do, but much less so when the pilot refuses to accept responsibility for a crash that was his fault or refuses to provide the information that would definitively establish the cause.

I think it is unfair to assume most people know that concrete structures are reinforced with metal.

I didn't assume anything; in fact, that's why I pointed out to him the existence of rebar.

If there was a compass issue the app should have told the user before they took off or slightly after that.

I agree, assuming that it can be detected, and I never suggested otherwise.

Let's have some positive intent

Like you did when you accused me of trolling? I see.

assume the user did not willfully crash their drone or ignore warnings from the app.

I never thought, said or implied that. You're the one who's making assumptions that are incorrect, so perhaps you should consider taking your own advice.

I'm just saying let's try to be helpful in a positive manner.

I'm the one who offered to look at his DAT file. What have you have contributed to the discussion of this crash besides attacking me?
2017-11-14
Use props
fans634a8e87
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-14 08:17
Drone flying please stop trolling this thread

I'm not; I'm the one who identified the reason for the crash.

and this is why I have been of this forum for 2 year.....sad
2017-11-14
Use props
Incentio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85607 ft
Belgium

Aerialgraphy Posted at 2017-11-14 05:07

For what it is worth .. the K-Index can change on an hourly basis... and can affect the performance of an AC.
2017-11-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans634a8e87 Posted at 2017-11-14 07:59

I don’t believe people are coming here for compassion, they can get that at home or through friends. I believe they are coming here to try to find out what happened and to see if maybe they might have some recourse with dji.
Is it not better to give an honest view rather than a sympathetic I feel your pain view, sure that’s no help to anyone.
Sometimes the answers are not what poster wants to hear but the reasons pointed out regarding why some things happened can be very beneficial going forward for that person.
Droneflying is one of the most diplomatic and helpful guys helping others around here and many have had great proof going forward to dji to get warranty for their crashed Aircraft.
2017-11-14
Use props
Exact Science
lvl.2

United States

If there was a software glitch it will be ignored and you will be told that DJI will NOT warranty it and it's pilot error.

Don't expect much in the way of working with someone who listens to your issue and understands how the Mavic really functions.

You will be very frustrated and have to make many phone calls and send many emails all to be told pay us..

Sad but true.  
2017-11-14
Use props
fans634a8e87
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-14 10:35
I don’t believe people are coming here for compassion, they can get that at home or through friends. I believe they are coming here to try to find out what happened and to see if maybe they might have some recourse with dji.
Is it not better to give an honest view rather than a sympathetic I feel your pain view, sure that’s no help to anyone.
Sometimes the answers are not what poster wants to hear but the reasons pointed out regarding why some things happened can be very beneficial going forward for that person.

Fair enough and droneflying I apologize for calling you a troll. I have just always found contributers make a case for DJI being correct instead of siding with the user and i've been around long enough to realize a lot of times it is the user.
2017-11-14
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

fans634a8e87 Posted at 2017-11-14 11:27
Fair enough and droneflying I apologize for calling you a troll. I have just always found contributers make a case for DJI being correct instead of siding with the user and i've been around long enough to realize a lot of times it is the user.

Thank you, and don't worry about it: it's water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. And thanks, too, to Hallmark for the kind words.
2017-11-14
Use props
fans634a8e87
lvl.3
United States

Aerialgraphy Posted at 2017-11-13 03:01
Guys, I've just made this video to show you what happend exactly:
https://youtu.be/KOQmuLUnumQ

Aerialgraphy from the video it looks like you may have launched your drone from the roof of your car, is that accurate? I agree the software should have warned you of a compass error which is odd. Obviously looking back is 20/20 and it's a lot easier to see what happened when you have a bunch of data to sort though then in the heat of the moment.
2017-11-14
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

fans634a8e87 Posted at 2017-11-14 12:16
Aerialgraphy from the video it looks like you may have launched your drone from the roof of your car, is that accurate? I agree the software should have warned you of a compass error which is odd. Obviously looking back is 20/20 and it's a lot easier to see what happened when you have a bunch of data to sort though then in the heat of the moment.

the software should have warned you of a compass error

That's one of the things the DAT file will show but the TXT file doesn't: whether the aircraft detected a geomagnetic distortion. If it didn't then I'd think that his chances of getting a free warranty replacement would be significantly greater, though I'm never inclined to guess with any certainty how DJI will handle a given case.
2017-11-14
Use props
mixchief
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansbec6b483 Posted at 2017-11-12 03:27
DJI is awesome! This is especially true when you purchase the extra (whatever they call it) coverage or insurance for $100. Fix or replace your Mavic during the first year - twice - provided you can return the drone. Cost $80 the first time (already used that one) and, I think $180 the second time. My crashed due to pilot error - forgot I was flying it (sounds odd) after setting the home point (unintentionally) over my patio under a lot of trees. The Mavic tried so hard not to crash, but once the batteries died, it did too. (I was filming the sunset in tripod mode, got bored and started doing yard work... oops! What a surprise as I raked leaves and find a Mavic among the pile!)

oooopsy
2017-11-15
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 403488 ft
United States

Incentio Posted at 2017-11-14 08:53
For what it is worth .. the K-Index can change on an hourly basis... and can affect the performance of an AC.

Very good comment. I'm sure at any given moment some type of interference can pop up at any place and any time. Certainly strange times we are living in now with very strange weather and atmospheric conditions.
2017-11-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules