3500 45 2017-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

Hello everybody,

I am using a Google pixel with the most up to date software available. My app crashes on my phone every flight. It happens right before the low battery alarms goes off, right around 33% battery. I was told it might be the cable I am using, so I bought a cable that can comes out of the bottom of the controller, and I bought the highest quality cable I could find. Others told me this might fix the problem......... Nope. Anybody have any other ideas? Not the biggest problem in the world, cause the controller stays connected, and I just reboot the app. However loosing picture while in the middle of the flight makes me stay closer to home than I would like. I mean, I am only maxing out at 10,000ft from home, lol. I love this thing! (sarcasm on distance)

Then a seperate question, would buying the goggles help solve this problem? I am not buying a new cell phone, and DJI has problems keeping up with Apple updates anyway. So I was wondering if the goggles would be a good answer for me?

Thanks everybody,

Shields High!
2017-11-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I suspect that your problem is related to the Pixel not being a supported device. Have you considered using Litchi instead of Go? Litchi is a very good app that provides most of the same functionality as Go and is actually better for waypoint missions, but more importantly in your case it has a better track record than Go of working across a wide variety of devices.

As for the goggles, yes, if all you care about is maintaining a video feed the whole time then they should solve the problem, because the feed between the aircraft and goggles is independent of its connection to the app.
2017-11-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, please try to test it on another mobile device that is on the support list. If it has no problem, then it might be the compatible issue. BTW, for the iOS device, we had updated the app and we had received many positive feedbacks for this version. 移动设备列表.jpg
2017-11-12
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Couple questions, but first thanks for the responses.

@DroneFlying Litchi is safe? Not a deal breaker with DJI refresh if something goes wrong? Never heard of it, but I will start looking into it. Thanks!

@DJI Thor I just flew yesterday and my software said up to date. That looks like a newer version? Do I have to wait for it to become available for Google pixel, or should it be ready? How do I download?

Sorry Guys, tech-tard here.
2017-11-13
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Quick question - are you recording video the whole time you're flying.  I once had a problem with video stream crashing and it had something to do with the  video buffer space  on the phone.  Check to see if all your video files are the same size  -  that's a good clue.
2017-11-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Bulldog Posted at 2017-11-13 05:36

@DroneFlying Litchi is safe? Not a deal breaker with DJI refresh if something goes wrong? Never heard of it, but I will start looking into it. Thanks!

Litchi is safe? Not a deal breaker with DJI refresh if something goes wrong? Never heard of it, but I will start looking into it.

Good question, and the short answer is that yes, using it can complicate things under certain circumstances.

Using third-party software -- which Litchi is -- can disqualify you from getting a replacement if it's caused by the software. Also, because Litchi doesn't create the same logs on your mobile device that the Go app does, DJI may choose to reject the Litchi logs as evidence that a crash or loss was caused by a defect. In the case of a recovered aircraft, though, DJI will normally use the DAT file to determine what happened, and using Litchi has no effect on those.

So yes, there is a potential downside to using LItchi, but in practice it's fairly rare for this to be a problem. The only other negative is that unlike Go it isn't free (it costs $25), but this time of year they often have 40% or 50% off promotions. If you're interested then check on (or at least closer to) Black Friday and you can probably get it at a discount then.
2017-11-13
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-11-13 05:44
Quick question - are you recording video the whole time you're flying.  I once had a problem with video stream crashing and it had something to do with the  video buffer space  on the phone.  Check to see if all your video files are the same size  -  that's a good clue.

I really thought this might be the answer..... Yes, every flight at the start I have a thing that says video cash full. I ignore it because it doesn't effect my recording or flight, but you might be on to the reason why my app crashes.

So I cleared the cash on my phone 100%, and I have 80Gb free storage. Then I went into the app, cleared every flight record stored on the app, and clear all the video and photo cache on the app.

Confident this would fix the problem, I set out to do my standard mountain top to mountain top voyage, roughly 3 mile round trip, and made it home with 60+% battery. Then it happened again! This time at 55ish %, then again around 35%. Next flight would have three app crashes.

So even though I did fix the low video cache problem and the warning no longer comes up, I did not fix the crashing app problem. Once again, latest version of app, with the Google Pixel. Thanks for the help.
2017-11-24
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-13 05:56
Litchi is safe? Not a deal breaker with DJI refresh if something goes wrong? Never heard of it, but I will start looking into it.

Good question, and the short answer is that yes, using it can complicate things under certain circumstances.

If I don't get this figured out, I am going to try the Litchi route, thanks for all that info.
2017-11-24
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Anybody have any other ideas?
2017-11-26
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14860804 ft
United States

I've got no answers either but I do have the same problem it seems to be related to file size. I've done everything that you've done clear cache plenty of space. But the app still crashes and on the phone every file is about the same size
2017-11-26
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Yea, totally bummed about it. After doing the cache clear, it has made the problem worse. It crashes 3-4 times a flight, and at random times. Before it was only at 30%, so I could bring her closer to home when I got close. Now it does it anytime, rendering my drone useless. It's collecting dust now............. Nobody seems to have an answer for this problem. Been asking for months now.
2017-11-29
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Try stopping and restarting the video recording every 3 or 4 minutes and see if your phone still crashes.  Not a solution, but it may point to the problem.
2017-11-29
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Will do @Griffith
2017-11-30
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

It helped @Griffith. Still crashes though...........
2017-12-3
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

Bulldog Posted at 2017-12-3 05:28
It helped @Griffith. Still crashes though...........

Have you tried a buddies mobile device, see if it still crashes?
Was the answer for me, my Samsung phone would crash, after 2-3 minutes of flight time, have to reset, very nerve racking. I borrowed a flying buddies tablet, first the bigger screen was great (7"tablet) & the thing didn't crash once, no lag , great picture, awesome!
So I bought the same tablet the next day, on sale for 69 bucks! & it works perfectly everytime!
I did look up the acer at Mavic pilots & sure enough, users all very happy with it
Acer Iconia one 7" tablet from Canada Computers, I see today its at 80 bucks.
NOTE- Just be sure to get the Iconia with the MedTek processor, seems its got the balls to run the Go4 better than others
2017-12-3
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i just posted on another thread that the same crashing you experiance is what is happening to me. 2 out of 4 recent flights when the battery got to below 30 % ( i think about 25%) my app crashed out. This is my latest problem - prior to this i went through hell with many issues, mostly now sorted out although this app cutting out at about 30% is new and a serious problem - fortunately RTH function did bring my drone home. The goggles are not experiancing the same problems as the devises. Till now my goggles provide accurate information and has not disconnected when the app did.
2017-12-3
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

fans987d278a Posted at 2017-12-3 11:26
Have you tried a buddies mobile device, see if it still crashes?
Was the answer for me, my Samsung phone would crash, after 2-3 minutes of flight time, have to reset, very nerve racking. I borrowed a flying buddies tablet, first the bigger screen was great (7"tablet) & the thing didn't crash once, no lag , great picture, awesome!
So I bought the same tablet the next day, on sale for 69 bucks! & it works perfectly everytime!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I refuse to pay 1000 for a phone after paying so much for my drone and gear. 80$, that I can afford! Thank you.
2017-12-4
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-12-3 13:50
i just posted on another thread that the same crashing you experiance is what is happening to me. 2 out of 4 recent flights when the battery got to below 30 % ( i think about 25%) my app crashed out. This is my latest problem - prior to this i went through hell with many issues, mostly now sorted out although this app cutting out at about 30% is new and a serious problem - fortunately RTH function did bring my drone home. The goggles are not experiancing the same problems as the devises. Till now my goggles provide accurate information and has not disconnected when the app did.

The return to home always works for me, but the one time it doesn't, game over..........

The goggles were my other option on how to fix this. However, another 350$ or 800$ is a little steep. Hoping DJI comes out with a racing drone so I can buy the goggles for both.
2017-12-4
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Still not fixed, and having the same problems..................................
2018-1-20
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

So I was going to try the Litchi app...... It's 24$ to download? Am I looking at the right app?
2018-1-20
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Posted this in one of the many threads I have been trying to find an answer to my problems for the past 3 months

Litchi app, or whatever it's called is even worse. Payed 25$ for the app and it disconnects twice as often.........

So far I have spent:
850$ on a device/cell
450$ on a new device that is on the "approved" list
45$ on three new sets of USB cables cause everybody keeps telling me that is the problem........... For no apparent reason
25$ on the Litchi app
1200$ on the drone itself
100$ on DJI refresh
Total: $2,670

That is a lot of money to spend on a piece of crap. Really bummed, and DJI doesn't even respond or care............ I guess I am done. Throwing away this piece of crap
2018-1-22
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

I am just going to say it one more time.......... Been going on for three months, been asking in every related thread, and DJI wont even respond........... What did I do besides spend lots of hard earned money on your drone to deserve this treatment?
2018-1-22
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Bulldog Posted at 2018-1-22 05:19
I am just going to say it one more time.......... Been going on for three months, been asking in every related thread, and DJI wont even respond........... What did I do besides spend lots of hard earned money on your drone to deserve this treatment?

Hi, maybe i missed this but are you using the Go4 app ver 4.1.15? if not try that. i was having app crashes on the 4.1.22 on my samsung s8 deleted that including the complete folder from my phone and loaded this app no issues since even when my battery goes down to 16%.

Just a suggestion

##use this link https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dj ... -release/#downloads

2018-1-22
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

@Suren Thank you for posting.

This has been going on for months, and it happens with every update. So yea, I tried both ver of the Go4 app you asked about, and it fails. Before it happened at 30% every time. Now it happens more often, and less predictably.
2018-1-22
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Bulldog Posted at 2018-1-22 09:45
@Suren Thank you for posting.

This has been going on for months, and it happens with every update. So yea, I tried both ver of the Go4 app you asked about, and it fails. Before it happened at 30% every time. Now it happens more often, and less predictably.

PM me your email will send you another app. you have already tried alot and this wont cost you anything to try one more app. its worth a shot.
2018-1-22
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

No thanks. I already didn't like the fact that DJI wont honor Refresh if using Litchi.......... Would rather sell it than risk crashing without insurance. Thank you for the offer though, I really appreciate it. @Suren
2018-1-22
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

I have not read the whole thread, but have you tried another phone?
2018-1-22
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

FlyDK Posted at 2018-1-22 09:57
I have not read the whole thread, but have you tried another phone?

Yes. And a tablet. The tablet somebody on this thread recommended, however it was not on the approved list so I didn't mention it. Then an I phone. Still disconnected every single flight.
2018-1-22
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

I read so much about people having problems with the app crashing. I personally have never experienced any of these problems. My buddy has never experienced any these problems either. Are use a iPod version two. Every time there is an update I do them I do them on my phone as well.  I don’t understand why more people just don’t get insurance from State Farm. For $60 a year it’s a no-brainer.
2018-1-22
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

No idea where you are going with any of that...... State farm is going to help with my app crashing how? What is "A Ipod version two?" Happy for you and your friend though.........
2018-1-23
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Can somebody link a mod to this thread? Is there a reason mods wont help with this problem? Been asking for months and I have gotten almost zero help.......... @DJIKen ?
2018-1-23
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Hello? I PM'ed 3 mods. Still no help at all from DJI. Can I still return this drone? What are my options, as I a tired of not being helped. Time to make a new thread?
2018-1-24
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Bump............. Bump
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Bulldog Posted at 2017-11-13 05:36

Bulldog, I am terribly sorry for not covering your reply. I saw your new thread, please keep us updated there. Besides, if there is a need in the future, please kindly click the "Reply" button if you need to reply me so that I can get the reminder and can deal with it asap. Thank you very much.
2018-1-25
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Bump! Bump
2018-1-27
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

I suggest first reinstalling the app, and then you can try to turn the device to airplane mode. If it doesn't help, I would advise changing another device.....

Mate I bought a cheap LE 3 from China, and it seems to work....
Only a short flight at this stage, but I am hopeful....
I feel your pain and distress, because DJI are simply interested in numbers, not individuals...
Also, I rooted my tablet, took off all the crap, and that seems to work too. Although it does need more testing.
2018-1-27
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Done all that, didn't fix anything
2018-1-27
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4