Why the Mavic does not stop when crashing!??
4263 33 2017-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 217 ft
Mexico

I just crashed my Mavic with a wall, but it was near to the floor so the fall was not so bad, the real problem was the motors didn't stop automatically! they were trying to move the helices on the floor and next to the wall and they were really damaged for that reason!

Why Mavic is not detecting a situation like this and stopping the motors automatically???
It's obvious that if our dron crash and it's on the floor or next to an obstacle that is blocking the motors they should be stopped! not fighting against that right?

Is there any reason why Mavic does not have this auto stop feature??

2017-11-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It is obviously not programmed to Cut motors but you may make a good point for implementing this action. It is available in the new spark if it turns more than 90 degrees motors cut.
With Mavic you must carry out a CSC which is both sticks down to outer or inner corners.

Hope not to much damage was done.
2017-11-12
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-12 06:33
It is obviously not programmed to Cut motors but you may make a good point for implementing this action. It is available in the new spark if it turns more than 90 degrees motors cut.
With Mavic you must carry out a CSC which is both sticks down to outer or inner corners.

I think is fine, propellers are a bit damaged but is flying, I changed 2 of them just in case.
I hear a small noise from below, I think is the cooler fan.
I'm just afraid some motor could be damaged (not hear any noise and they seem to move ok)

But I really think Mavic should have some crash detection and auto stop feature, the drone is destroying itself without this!
2017-11-12
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

I have another question:

What is an "emergency" for Mavic?
I have set the CSC to stop the motors on emergency, or failure, if my dron crash something or it falls, will that be always detected as an emergency by Mavic and allow me to stop the motors?
2017-11-12
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

Also I think is a REALLY BAD idea to use the movement controls to also STOP the drone, I can't see any good reason to design it in that way.
Usually if you want to stop the motors you need todo it quickly and *without moving* your drone (because probably is stuck or hiting something etc), if you use the movement controls to stop the motors it will try to move first, probably making more damage.

Why not have a button combination instead?? or an emergency stop button??

2017-11-12
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

Another problem with this really silly way to stop the motors is that it will take 2 o 3 seconds to activate !
So it does not only try to move your drone first, but also you need to see your drone killing itself for 2 or 3 seconds !!

Emergency stop should stop the motors instantly and without doing extra movement.

Why DJI team designed this in that way???

2017-11-12
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_K6W99Ar Posted at 2017-11-12 07:37
Also I think is a REALLY BAD idea to use the movement controls to also STOP the drone, I can't see any good reason to design it in that way.
Usually if you want to stop the motors you need todo it quickly and *without moving* your drone (because probably is stuck or hiting something etc), if you use the movement controls to stop the motors it will try to move first, probably making more damage.

While I can see your point of it being kind of a bad idea, it's pretty standard across the board for most quads to kill motors like this.  It's also helpful for the quickest reaction, as your hands are already on the sticks. Also, remember there is also a pause button.  It's gotten me out of some sticky situations.
2017-11-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_K6W99Ar Posted at 2017-11-12 07:46
Another problem with this really silly way to stop the motors is that it will take 2 o 3 seconds to activate !
So it does not only try to move your drone first, but also you need to see your drone killing itself for 2 or 3 seconds !!

I think as we go on we will see a better solution but for the moment this is what we have. One thing I will say is by far most of these accidents occur indoors, which of course makes it much more dangerous, I think this might be the case in your situation , so Pilot should always have this in the back of his/her mind when flying indoors.
2017-11-12
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very good point.
2017-11-12
Use props
djiuser_vA5H1mg
New
Flight distance : 3878 ft
New Zealand

I would like to see a confirm all actions, option, even if its just in beginner mode.
I did something silly as i though i was telling it to land but it shot straight up in a RTH sequence even though it was less than 2m from home point. If it had said “about to assend to 30m is it clear to do so” i would have said no no no... then if it said about to head for home point is it clear? Once it was at 30m it would be good.
In my case it shot up at 10000000 miles an hour and hit an overhang from a pergola and then smashed the prop to bits and then dropped 2m onto the deck. The gimbal is now damaged and wont work (i had the cover on but it got smashed off, i get video but it says its jamed, it was under the drop hook and under the front tabs as well. I put it back into the correct place but gimbal moves but says its jamed. I cannot control the gimbal.
So after 2min flying time my mavic is now smashed
I realise i must have told it to go home rather than land but confirming each automatic action could have saved my drone from being damaged and unusable on its first day. When building confidance it would be nice to know EXACTLY what its about to go and do. If it had said it was going to assend i would have said no
2017-11-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_vA5H1mg Posted at 2017-11-12 10:19
I would like to see a confirm all actions, option, even if its just in beginner mode.
I did something silly as i though i was telling it to land but it shot straight up in a RTH sequence even though it was less than 2m from home point. If it had said “about to assend to 30m is it clear to do so” i would have said no no no... then if it said about to head for home point is it clear? Once it was at 30m it would be good.
In my case it shot up at 10000000 miles an hour and hit an overhang from a pergola and then smashed the prop to bits and then dropped 2m onto the deck. The gimbal is now damaged and wont work (i had the cover on but it got smashed off, i get video but it says its jamed, it was under the drop hook and under the front tabs as well. I put it back into the correct place but gimbal moves but says its jamed. I cannot control the gimbal.

That sounds like you had a problem with VPS were you in a dark enclosure?
2017-11-12
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

So you want the Mavic to shut its motors off as soon as it detects that a crash has occurred? What's your specific definition of a "crash" that should trigger the shutoff? Because I've seen many videos where a Mavic crashed into something but kept flying successfully, and I'll bet those owners were glad the motors weren't turned off when the collision occurred.

And by the way, it will shut off its motors when it detects certain attitude values. I'm not sure specifically what values will trigger it, but it definitely will turn off the motors when it's upside down for some amount of time, for example.
2017-11-12
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-11-12 07:46
While I can see your point of it being kind of a bad idea, it's pretty standard across the board for most quads to kill motors like this.  It's also helpful for the quickest reaction, as your hands are already on the sticks. Also, remember there is also a pause button.  It's gotten me out of some sticky situations.

Pause button is only to stop the automatic flight (or RTH action) if I got it correct, it does not stop the motors...
2017-11-13
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-12 11:21
So you want the Mavic to shut its motors off as soon as it detects that a crash has occurred? What's your specific definition of a "crash" that should trigger the shutoff? Because I've seen many videos where a Mavic crashed into something but kept flying successfully, and I'll bet those owners were glad the motors weren't turned off when the collision occurred.

And by the way, it will shut off its motors when it detects certain attitude values. I'm not sure specifically what values will trigger it, but it definitely will turn off the motors when it's upside down for some amount of time, for example.

That is something that DJI team should decide and design better than me of course (even more, there is an option to stop the motors using the controls "only in an emergency" but is not explained what is an emergency for Mavic!).

To me an emergency will be a strong crash, in my case the dron was falling, in vertical position, the hit the ground, and the motors were still trying to fly in that situation!
Some basic conditions like:
* Mavic hit something and fall to ground
* Mavic is on vertical position
* Motors are under a very strong resistance (this could be good to avoid damaging people too)

Mavic Pro has has sensors already to detect situations like that, why not use them on the software to stop the motors then??

Or at least provide a faster and safer way to stop them, is just easy like a special button or a button combination that will stop instantly (not after 3 seconds) and won't try to move the drone first (like it does using the controls sequence)
2017-11-13
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_K6W99Ar Posted at 2017-11-13 06:39
Pause button is only to stop the automatic flight (or RTH action) if I got it correct, it does not stop the motors...

The goal would be stopping a mistake before it happens, but you are correct in function of the button.
2017-11-13
Use props
ny300z
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

i agree that this should 100% be an option on the Mavic. Especially if the Spark has it.  Any safety feature should be on all DJI drones across the board.
2017-11-13
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-12 11:21

Yes, I've read that some hand-catchers turn off motors by flipping Mavic upside-down after catching it. Not that I'd recommend that for either hand safety or motor health.
2017-11-13
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

By the way, I was once in a situation close to shutting the engines off in mid-air. Started a right spinning descent while moving back and left. The movements were slow and smooth, so the sticks were not at their extremes, yet they started coming into the CSC configuration. I caught myself on that thought and quickly stopped the shot.
2017-11-13
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Maybe he should just read the manual and learn to fly in an open area instead of demanding product redesigns based on three minutes of usage!
2017-11-13
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

ghostrdr Posted at 2017-11-13 10:27
Maybe he should just read the manual and learn to fly in an open area instead of demanding product redesigns based on three minutes of usage!

why??? this could happen to an experimented pilot too!
and what kind of solution is that??
Then don't add *any* security thing! on anything! just be careful and learn to drive a car too

This is something **really** easy to implement, just a stop button on the controls and a better crash detection to auto stop them, it does not look so hard based on all the sensors and and more complicated things Mavic already have

To me it looks like if they want us to break the drone so they can sell extra parts, because I cannot see any reason to not have this function.
2017-11-13
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

djiuser_K6W99Ar Posted at 2017-11-13 19:53
why??? this could happen to an experimented pilot too!
and what kind of solution is that??
Then don't add *any* security thing! on anything! just be careful and learn to drive a car too

Most sensible people would have pulled the throttle down in combination with the CSC method. You can't blame the equipment when the user is in control of it and doesn't understand the basics.
If you are driving along in your car and another car of object is suddenly in front of you, are you going to look for a button to fix everything or are you going to do the basic actions required to stop or avoid the accident.
You need to learn how your drone works, how it is controlled, what to do in emergencies because as soon as you start it, you are in control and are responsible for what happens.
2017-11-13
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-11-13 21:36
Most sensible people would have pulled the throttle down in combination with the CSC method. You can't blame the equipment when the user is in control of it and doesn't understand the basics.
If you are driving along in your car and another car of object is suddenly in front of you, are you going to look for a button to fix everything or are you going to do the basic actions required to stop or avoid the accident.
You need to learn how your drone works, how it is controlled, what to do in emergencies because as soon as you start it, you are in control and are responsible for what happens.

No, that was not the problem, because the drone fell just in front of me, so I catched it very quickly, CSC takes 3 seconds to stop the motors ! (and it tries to move the drone before of that!)
On the car example this is like if we should stop it using a weird movement and also wait 3 seconds instead of just using the break pedal.
Stop the drone should be something really quick and easy, like it is on a car, because is an emergency.

In the done situation stopping the motors should be also automatic, becase is not so hard to detect that.
It took near 2 seconds to catch my drone, but in thos 2 seconds all the propellers and maybe motors where damaged because they were trying to spin on the floor and next to a wall !

I can't understand users against a more robust way to detect crashes and stop the motors automatically, or having a better and faster control to do that manually, why you think that is a bad idea???

2017-11-14
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

And there is also a more important reason to do this, the security of the people around the drone! not only the drone.
What happens if drone crashes and it's near some kid?
What happens if it's on the floor and someone tries to catch it, actually I was very lucky ! because on the fever of the crash I just catch the drone, and when I moved away from the floor/wall the propellers started to spin really fast, luckily my hand or face was not near them !

This is something EASY to implement and could save not only the drone but also some serious injuries on us or the people around the drone.

2017-11-14
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

And lastly, what happens if your dron crashes because of a failure on the RC? you can't use that to stop it then!
or what happens if it fails in WIFI mode due a problem with your mobile?

I think it's really important to have a crash detection system to stop the motors automatically, to protect the drone and also people around it
2017-11-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_K6W99Ar Posted at 2017-11-14 11:11
And there is also a more important reason to do this, the security of the people around the drone! not only the drone.
What happens if drone crashes and it's near some kid?
What happens if it's on the floor and someone tries to catch it, actually I was very lucky ! because on the fever of the crash I just catch the drone, and when I moved away from the floor/wall the propellers started to spin really fast, luckily my hand or face was not near them !

If it crashes that is your responsibility you should not be flying around children, you are expected to fly in environments suited for this AC it is your responsibility many things can happen it is always going to take some time for motors to stop and props to stop spinning , you can always use a CSC while it’s in the air, but this is a guaranteed crash and more damaged can be caused with AC landing on someone’s head.
2017-11-14
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

djiuser_K6W99Ar Posted at 2017-11-14 11:04
No, that was not the problem, because the drone fell just in front of me, so I catched it very quickly, CSC takes 3 seconds to stop the motors ! (and it tries to move the drone before of that!)
On the car example this is like if we should stop it using a weird movement and also wait 3 seconds instead of just using the break pedal.
Stop the drone should be something really quick and easy, like it is on a car, because is an emergency.

I can't understand users against a more robust way to detect crashes and stop the motors automatically, or having a better and faster control to do that manually, why you think that is a bad idea???

Because if you give people like you a button then they will push it to see what it does. Then when the motors stop and it falls out of the sky you will be screaming because it couldn't possibly be your fault that you pushed the button, the motors stopped and your drone crashed.
You need to learn to fly a drone and control it properly.  And, until that happens, you should not fly near any person or object. You need to adjust your attitude to, and concept of, drone flying.
2017-11-14
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_K6W99Ar Posted at 2017-11-13 06:47
That is something that DJI team should decide and design better than me of course (even more, there is an option to stop the motors using the controls "only in an emergency" but is not explained what is an emergency for Mavic!).

To me an emergency will be a strong crash, in my case the dron was falling, in vertical position, the hit the ground, and the motors were still trying to fly in that situation!

I did the same thing with one of my Mavics. Tried to fly indoors with the Goggles and the Mavic visioning sensor is not as good as the Sparks.

It drifted into a wall and fell down. But my motors stopped. I'm not sure why yours did not???

2017-11-15
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

bjr981s Posted at 2017-11-15 03:37
I did the same thing with one of my Mavics. Tried to fly indoors with the Goggles and the Mavic visioning sensor is not as good as the Sparks.

It drifted into a wall and fell down. But my motors stopped. I'm not sure why yours did not???

So this is a feature Mavic already have? if it crash with something the motors are stop atuomatically? Mine did not do that
2017-11-15
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

I think the reason also could be to sell the propellers protectors and cage
Anyway, this is a nice related video:
2017-11-15
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
Flight distance : 140413 ft
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2017-11-15 03:37

Just another software glitch that wii NOT be acknowledged by DJI.

Just purchase another one is the DJI moto!
2017-11-16
Use props
djiuser_vA5H1mg
New
Flight distance : 3878 ft
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-12 10:52
That sounds like you had a problem with VPS were you in a dark enclosure?

No, was clear day.
I’m only assuming what happened as I have only flown it for 2 mins total so a complete beginner. But I was planning on landing so assume I hit the home button by mistake.
I am waiting for the parts to come so that I can fix it reading up online it sounds like I have damaged the gimbal ribbon cable.
It still flys fine it’s only the gimbal that got damaged.
Completely my fault as I should have waited until I could fly it in a big empty field and I will wait when I get it repaired.
It’s an impressive drone, but like I said be nice if in beginner mode it confirmed all autonomous flight actions
2017-11-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sir, the motors will be stopped automatically in the below situations:

1. Flying close to the ground(1-2m), the motors will be stopped if the flipped angel is more than 75 degrees.
2. Flying the drone in the air, and the Main Control can not tell whether it is close to the ground. If the drone flipped and rolled, the motors will be not stopped. Also, you can operate CSC to kill the motor manually. I'm sorry to hear the crash, and suggest you to send it in for diagnosis and repair: http://www.dji.com/support
2017-11-19
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

Interesting what DJI Susan says.

There are plenty of videos out there where drones have a small mishap with an obstacle and are still capable of recovering and keep stable flight. I would like to have my drone trying to recover instead of falling like a piano as soon it gets destabilized.

On the other hand, is always critical to keep in mind the CSC procedure and execute it as soon the crash is imminent, to avoid further damage to the AC, people or property.
2017-11-19
Use props
djiuser_K6W99Ar
lvl.1
Mexico

I think maybe this is the reason why Mavic does not stop automatically, it is strong enough to resist some type of crashes and recover itself!

2017-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules