Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Time savings of 30fps vs 24fps
556 3 2017-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gunship9
Captain
United States

I just finished a family use only video of a trip to a wedding.  I noticed and spent a lot of time fighting shuttering/skipping in panning shots and shots with movement within the screen.  I used a combination of a iPhone (30fps) on a gimbal, GoPro (24fps) on a gimbal, the Spark (30fps), and editing in iMovie.  I did the Spark clip trim trick to smooth some of the Spark video.  But I still see shuttering as the Spark yaws across (pans) a family member riding away on a bike.  The shuttering isn't there (or barely there) when looking at the Sparks video feed directly vs in the iMovie result.  The iPhone clips had a lot of shuttering that I think are because of its frame rate.

I am thinking of just setting everything to 30fps all the time so everything is on the same frame rate.  I have ND filters so my Canon DSLR can do the 24fps with 50th shutter speed but it is a huge pain to set up.  If it is set up, then I want the whole movie to be with the DSLR so no Spark video spliced in.  Because of the pain that the DSLR is, I haven't tried to put ND filters on the GoPro, Spark, or iPhone so I can get the 50th of a second shutter speed on them.  I can't imaging the man hours I would spend chasing the exposure.  Therefore, I think 24fps advantages is wasted on my iMovie edits.

Everthing on 30fps might have a video feel but at least nothing would be shuttering or skipping.  A lot of my videos have the camera moving (drone, gimbal), the subject moving (walking horse), and the background moving (trees bushes sliding by).  In a sense, the subject appears still in the frame but is moving.

Thoughts on going to 30fps.  Vloggers sitting on their office racing seat talking into a tripod camera will rage at the thought of leaving 24fps

2017-11-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 1716440 ft
Netherlands

What app are you using on your iPhone?
I recently purchased both Filmic Pro and Movie Pro to get the most out of this great piece of equipment.
(you can choose framerates and fix exposure settings).
The last app is the best (and cheapest) since it does not drain your battery in 45 minutes filming (Filmic Pro does!)
But Filmic Pro gives me a flat profile that I 'need' sometimes.

iMovie is horrible when combining with Spark footage. The framerate is just off.
I use Sony Vegas Pro and have no issues at all.
2017-11-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 1716440 ft
Netherlands

Oh and yes: I hate ND filters because they ruin my pace of shooting...
But....
Can't live without them.
I purchased a variable ND filter just for that.
2017-11-12
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

I just used the iphone's included camera app.  I will have to look into better video editors and apps.  Right now I just have two laptops with the editors they came with.  I downloaded Da Vinci 14 but it needs a graphic card.  I am not sure if I am into video enough to build a dedicated desktop computer.  I think my videos need to be better (story, composition, etc) before getting a pro editor suite.
2017-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules