123Next >
6782 108 2017-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matt_Alford
lvl.1
South Africa

Hello

Whilst flying my drone today the GPS signal dropped out completely, sending it into an uncontrollable spiral and ultimately leading to the drone flying away and me losing it in a tall oak tree. I am now unable to retrieve it and am now without my drone. Please could I get some help in understanding what went wrong as it appears ro be an equipment malfuncion.

In Summary:
- Battery started at 100% and went to 68%
- Home point was updated at the start of the flight
- Connected to 15 satellites

- 3m4s into the flight the following errors occured:
- Yaw Error
- Aircraft GPS signal too week. Home Point not updated.; Yaw Error
- Compass Error. Exit P-GPS Mode; Yaw Error
- In Flight, working IMU encounters heading exception,please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally; Yaw Error

I am extremely distraught over losing my brand new Spark through no fault of my own and no wreckless flying whatsoever.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

2017-11-12
Use props
Matt_Alford
lvl.1
South Africa

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8IVK5B463UPA31OWPQCO/
2017-11-12
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I can well imagine that this incident is a big shock for you! Thank you also for posting your flightlog right away. There are very experienced pilots here who might be able to give you a good interpretation of what might have happened. I am still a beginner and have never had the experience yet that my aircraft suddenly switched to ATTI mode. All I know is that this is a big challenge, especially with wind conditions.
And I see a sign of hope too. At least you know quite precisely where your Spark is right now. With some external help it is probably possible to retrieve it (and hopefully in a good condition) for further evaluation of the flight data by DJI and for also hopefully many happy landings in the future.
2017-11-12
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Welcome to the club. You are not alone.
2017-11-12
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

How are your previous RC model piloting skills?  You are in command when the autopilot faults out from GPS and IMU failures.  Fly it like your previous RC airplane but plan on hovering it to a landing.  Avoid flying around trees as they eat models.
2017-11-12
Use props
rickmo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23901 ft
United States

Same exact thing happened to me. 12 Satellites. Full battery. Home point. Up 50 ft. Out 50ft. Lost GPS and away it went. Into a tree. Luckily, I got it back so DJI replaced it. Now I'm afraid to fly anywhere except over a field!
2017-11-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Matt_Alford Posted at 2017-11-12 12:31
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8IVK5B463UPA31OWPQCO/

-26.18263131        28.00903186
This is your last known coordinates or last reported coordinates from your phantomhelp log. It was 82ft high and 80ft away from homepoint it was heading towards direction of homepoint but flew straight over, your AC was responding to stick movements, but my guess is you lost line of sight when it flew over the trees unless it hit the trees ?  your log shows last 3 seconds no stick movements , if no stick movements after this period then your AC would have continued on this line it was flying at speed of approx 4.5mph with 68% battery left, if it didn’t hit a tree it would continue to move until it reached critical battery.

I’m not sure what height trees are but if less than 80ft it could be among them or just past them, you might know the answer to this question.

Regarding what happened your AC compass got some magnetic interference causing gps to shut down and go to Atti mode.
How this happened it would be helpful to know on what type of ground you launched from was there concrete near by any metal structures etc, when did you last calibrate compass.

Who’s fault is it, well that one is not easy to say, I have seen similar being given warranty and others offered 30% discount, but I think you may be offered warranty, so you should sync your flight contact dji support start a case and see what they come up with, in the mean time I would go take another look to see if you can find it starting at last known coordinates it may be a long shot , but others have found their AC.

Good luck.
2017-11-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Just to give you an idea why this happens.

Why would a compass error disable GPS?
Orientation (compass data) and position (GPS data) are different but related.
When the Spark is moving and getting position information from the GPS that tells the Spark that it is travelling in a different direction from what it's getting from compass data, The Spark programming can't work with the data conflict.
The solution is to drop data from one source and since the Spark can't fly without a compass but can without GPS, it's the GPS data that gets dropped.
2017-11-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Matt, I'm sorry about the accident and I would recommend you contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support. Please export your flight data and send it to our support.
2017-11-12
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I see in mostly all of this mishaps a YAW error as the start of SPARKS bad luck....

Question ; what is happening to the SPARK when you read a YAW error on your screen ?

Mayby DJI can explain this.

Cheers
Hans
2017-11-13
Use props
Matt_Alford
lvl.1
South Africa

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-11-12 18:15
Matt, I'm sorry about the accident and I would recommend you contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support. Please export your flight data and send it to our support.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEHdAlAh9A&t=1s

Thanks for the reply ELektra. I have contacted DJI support and I await their feedback.

This is what the screen said when the failures started happening

2017-11-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJBspark Posted at 2017-11-13 00:04
I see in mostly all of this mishaps a YAW error as the start of SPARKS bad luck....

Question ; what is happening to the SPARK when you read a YAW error on your screen ?

It comes directly from compass interference. You can read what happens in post number 8.
2017-11-13
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Yaw error is the beginig..

then ' - In Flight, working IMU encounters heading exception,please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally; Yaw Error
'

is the kiss of death.

I almost wish that DJI would program the drone to just shut down when these errors happen.
Fall out of the sky at a known position would be better than a fly away. At least you could retrive the  body and send it in  for DJI care refresh.
2017-11-13
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

LouisP Posted at 2017-11-13 12:28

then ' - In Flight, working IMU encounters heading exception,please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally; Yaw Error

Do You think they really want to become this a reality?
2017-11-13
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
United States

nixuspix Posted at 2017-11-13 14:21
Do You think they really want to become this a reality?

The trouble is, that in many of the cases of the IMU exception error, the next thing is that the drone disconnects from the RC and flies away.  
IF (big IF)  this bug is so bad that it causes the cpu in the drone to freak out to the point of loss of control, then yes.. I would prefer the drone to drop where it is.  That way your phone has the location of the corpse.   In a fly away, it could be miles away with no way of finding it.  If you are being safe and flying in open space.. a falling drone wont  hurt anyone.. but after flying away, it could ultimately crash anywhere even on top of people.

I am not talking about an ATTI mode lost drone scenario where the pilot was  not skilled enough to control the drone or the wind was just too strong.  But in a real loss of control ( and this IMU exception seems to be just that)... turning off and dropping in place would be better than continuing to fly uncontrollable.    Not that DJI or any other manufacturer would do it.. announcing that they have programmed the drone to drop if a certain software glitch happens would be admitting that they have bigger problems.
2017-11-13
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Please forgive me to not agree with your conclusion. Nothing is a "kiss of death" as long as the pilot technically can still control the AC as it has been the case here and in most other cases. The point is that flights in ATTI mode are not easy and the pilot has to react fast but also has to know how to react. Many very experienced pilots (and I am not yet one of them) are sharing their most valuable experiences in this forum, but unfortunately are not being read sufficiently. Reading as many reports as possible in this forum is a wealth of information and at least theoretical training for me to be prepared for flight situations that I could so far not experience myself in practice.
Unfortunately it is also a matter of fact that many beginners don't even read the user manual properly. This would have answered your last point. In abnormal situations with these error messages, you have it in your hands to immediately bring your Spark down whenever and wherever you deem it appropriate, but at least would have had the opportunity to manually bring it to the "softest" crash area available under the given conditions (preferably not above water). And it is not up to DJI to take this decision away from you!
This last "failsafe" option is called "Combination Stick Command" (CSC) and is explained in the user manual, although often overlooked (please note that Spark is programmed to accept CSC in flight only in emergency situations with serious error messages, you can't force it in normal flight conditions):

CSC.JPG
2017-11-13
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-13 14:49
Please forgive me to not agree with your conclusion. Nothing is a "kiss of death" as long as the pilot technically can still control the AC as it has been the case here and in many other cases. The point is that flights in ATTI mode are not easy and the pilot has to react fast but also has to know how to react. Many very experienced pilots (and I am not yet one of them) are sharing their most valuable experiences in this forum, but unfortunately are not being read sufficiently. Reading as many reports as possible in this forum is a wealth of information and at least theoretical training for me to be prepared for flight situations that I could so far not experience myself in practice.Unfortunately it is also a matter of fact that many beginners don't even read the user manual properly. This would have answered your last point. In abnormal situations with these error messages, you have it in you hands to immediately bring your Spark down whenever and wherever you deem it appropriate, but at least would have had the opportunity to manually bring it to the "softest" crash area available under the given conditions (preferably not above water).
This last "failsafe" option is called "Combination Stick Command" (CSC) and is explained in the user manual, although often overlooked (please note that Spark is programmed to accept CSC in flight only in ermergency situations with serious error messages, you can't force it in normal flight conditions):

I agree... ATTI mode is not what I am talking about.    See the reply I just posted...
Having read every 'fly away' report on the forum and on facebook for the past few months, it seems that the common denominator  (aside from pilot error) is the IMU exception error followed by loss of connection between the RC and the spark .   

ALso.. I have read that they stick maneuver will turn off the motors mid air.. but I have never tried it.. :-)
2017-11-13
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

LouisP Posted at 2017-11-13 14:52
I agree... ATTI mode is not what I am talking about.    See the reply I just posted...
Having read every 'fly away' report on the forum and on facebook for the past few months, it seems that the common denominator  (aside from pilot error) is the IMU exception error followed by loss of connection between the RC and the spark .   

Sorry, but I still disagree. More than 90% of the so called "fly aways" in reports posted actually aren't true "fly aways". After having been analysed, most of them turn out to be pilot errors (which is not meant to criticise, we all make errors! But it's a matter of fact).
Could we agree on the following definition of a true fly away?
"A flight situation where the aircraft unpredictably, unavoidably and uncontrollably (manually by pilot) leaves the intended flightpath and can not be retrieved thereafter".
At least this is what I would call a "fly away".
2017-11-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

LouisP Posted at 2017-11-13 14:48
The trouble is, that in many of the cases of the IMU exception error, the next thing is that the drone disconnects from the RC and flies away.  
IF (big IF)  this bug is so bad that it causes the cpu in the drone to freak out to the point of loss of control, then yes.. I would prefer the drone to drop where it is.  That way your phone has the location of the corpse.   In a fly away, it could be miles away with no way of finding it.  If you are being safe and flying in open space.. a falling drone wont  hurt anyone.. but after flying away, it could ultimately crash anywhere even on top of people.

Your posting this and to say the least it’s ridiculous, you have shown no proof but seem to want to create hysteria.
If you take a look at the flight log on this thread you will clearly see that when it went into Atti mode it was completely controllable and was reacting to all stick movements, what you need to show here is a flight log where stick movements don’t match up to aircraft movements.

Almost all of these cases are as a result of compass problem yes followed by Imu heading for a very short period until gps is nullified and aircraft goes to Atti mode, loosing connection with remote has nothing to do with this, you need to go and study some of these logs to educate yourself.
2017-11-13
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-13 15:14
Your posting this and to say the least it’s ridiculous, you have shown no proof but seem to want to create hysteria.
If you take a look at the flight log on this thread you will clearly see that when it went into Atti mode it was completely controllable and was reacting to all stick movements, what you need to show here is a flight log where stick movements don’t match up to aircraft movements.

Thank you hallmark007!
2017-11-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CSC will not turn off motors in the air, “what manual did you read that in” they will only turn off motors in an emergency situation I.e. if you crash and motors are still running.

What good would cutting Aircraft motors in the air achieve, your just spreading rumour and innuendo with absolute no proof.

Oops got this one wrong. My bad
2017-11-13
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-13 15:19
CSC will not turn off motors in the air, “what manual did you read that in” they will only turn off motors in an emergency situation I.e. if you crash and motors are still running.

What good would cutting Aircraft motors in the air achieve, your just spreading rumour and innuendo with absolute no proof.

Oh, here you have to blame me first ;-) See 16#. I have tested it and DJI Susan as well as another DJI support team member have confirmed my findings. And I can well imagine situations where I prefer CSC in flight in order to prevent bigger damage elsewhere.
Here my old post on the topic (video removed but if interested, I can make it available again): https://forum.dji.com/thread-112268-1-1.html
2017-11-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

So your ok with your drone dropping on somebody’s head perhaps a child’s head. Just so as you can send it to dji Care refresh?
2017-11-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-13 15:27
Oh, here you have to blame me first ;-) See 16#. I have tested it and DJI Susan as well as another DJI support team member have confirmed my findings. And I can well imagine situations where I prefer CSC in flight in order to prevent bigger damage elsewhere.
Here my old post on the topic (video removed but if interested, I can make it available again): https://forum.dji.com/thread-112268-1-1.html

Image-1.jpg Yeah I keep getting that one mixed up with Mavic, as you will see you cannot power motors off in mavic unless aircraft detects critical error. You can change setting on Mavic.My Bad.
2017-11-13
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-13 15:49
[view_image]Yeah I keep getting that one mixed up with Mavic, as you will see you cannot power motors off in mavic unless aircraft detects critical error. My Bad.

Don't worry! All is cleared now and the important part of your message rightfully stands.
2017-11-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-13 16:07
Don't worry! All is cleared now and the important part of your message rightfully stands.

Yeah thanks for the heads up.
2017-11-13
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-13 15:30
So your ok with your drone dropping on somebody’s head perhaps a child’s head. Just so as you can send it to dji Care refresh?

NO.. that is the whole point of my post... IF I know where it is flying then it WON"T be over someones head.  If it flys away uncontrolled it very well could be.
2017-11-13
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great discussion after my post.

But i wonder....it looks like that a YAW error has nothing to do with the GPS reception and use of this signal, YAW error is a NonGpsError ; its listed as such in the flight report txt.
After 0.7 seconds it is in ATTI mode even before the message om screen "Compass Error. Exit P-GPS Mode" is visible on the screen. After 2.1 seconds the IMU encouters heading exception and on screen is said "please switch to ATTI mode if....
This is a strange message because SPARK is already in ATTI mode and you as operator has no choice of switching to ATTI !! (DIJ please comment on this!)

I think the software can be altered to get different behaviour in case of a YAW > compass > IMU induced problem. A drone can fly without a compass, can use the GPS to stabilize its flight.
So why doesn`t  the SPARK  go into a GPS only mode and hover at the position of the YAW and/or compass fail an/or IMU fail. Flying LOS you can fly back the craft. If the craft is to far away (i have bad eyes ) you can software it to orbit in a radius of 10 meters, the closest distance to homepoint is the direction to fly to.
Once its flying towards home calculate the off-set of that line and yaw left or right to stay on that line.
Once visual get in manual control again.

I have not experienced a forced into ATTI mode flight, did learn to fly on 2 small drones so i should be able to cope with this situation....having said that i know its very hard to react in the right way when suddenly ATTI mode gets on. Guess my chances are 50/50 % (positive mind person) to bring my Spark safe home.

Cheers
Hans

2017-11-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJBspark Posted at 2017-11-14 00:06
Great discussion after my post.

But i wonder....it looks like that a YAW error has nothing to do with the GPS reception and use of this signal, YAW error is a NonGpsError ; its listed as such in the flight report txt.

Hi indeed yaw error has nothing to do with gps, it occurs when there is a problem with your compass , so stick movements giving command to aircraft to go one way and due to compass problem aircraft going another direction so this movement cannot be corrected by IMU so report is telling that IMU heading is not correct.
In all dji crafts this is corrected by dropping gps and going into Atti mode, your Spark can’t handle data conflict so Aircraft is set up to basically nullify gps because aircraft can fly without gps but not without compass.
This is an automatic process and happens in this situation very quickly , you see yaw error or speed error compass problem and IMU heading problem and aircraft goes to Atti mode, gps is still there in the background you can see it in the flight logs still recording coordinates etc and as soon as compass is corrected gps will return.
There have been similar suggestions to your own regarding been able to fly gps on its own I’m no expert on this matter but I believe it will also be fraught with problems, I think in your plan for it you say once you get near home you could switch to Atti mode and fly your Aircraft home , unfortunately there is no switch on spark to switch to Atti mode it’s auto, so that is one problem with your plan, it is also thought that getting correct heading would also pose further problems with gps alone.
I’m also sure that this method would have been tried or at least looked at regarding these small SUA but we haven’t seen this being rolled out either on dji’s drones or any other drones of this size on the market.

Flying in Atti mode is not as difficult as most think your aircraft will maintain its horizontal level but controller must managed its position and heading. You almost certainly have to be VLOS and if it’s very windy it can make the challenge very difficult.

But we must first start with conditions of flight the environment we intend to fly in and the correct preparation for preflight.
I don’t in anyway believe this is a bug or problem with the spark. But if you decide to fly in areas where you may experience any interference whether that is at take off or when flying in unsuitable areas I.e. built up urban areas under the cover of trees around buildings with metal roofs, flying over large forests where both gps and radio signal may be affected taking of from concrete or metal platforms, then responsibility should lie with user.
All of above is clearly laid out in the manual so it’s up to the user to be informed. I’m sure having been witness to a lot of dji’s technology over a number of years that safety is key to building their drones after all the safer they are the more people will use them, I don’t believe they would turn down the option like you suggest if it was a better and safer option, but maybe we will see a similar option in the future and one that will be a better option than is there at present.
2017-11-14
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I am not sure it is a compass error followed by disconnection of RC and Spark.  I think it is a compass error and the pilot promptly hitting RTH that makes it seem like it is ignoring the RC.  People use RTH not as a "radio failure fail safe" but as a routine method to get the drone back.  They just white lie a little and not mention RTH or mention it like it has no bearing on how the spark started behaving.

It won't work with a compass error switching to ATTI mode but they can't see it, they are in an emergency, and hit RTH by instinct.  Better as you say, to crash it right where it is while it is find-able.  Versus searching for it somewhere on planet earth.
2017-11-14
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-11-14 10:20
I am not sure it is a compass error followed by disconnection of RC and Spark.  I think it is a compass error and the pilot promptly hitting RTH that makes it seem like it is ignoring the RC.  People use RTH not as a "radio failure fail safe" but as a routine method to get the drone back.  They just white lie a little and not mention RTH or mention it like it has no bearing on how the spark started behaving.

It won't work with a compass error switching to ATTI mode but they can't see it, they are in an emergency, and hit RTH by instinct.  Better as you say, to crash it right where it is while it is find-able.  Versus searching for it somewhere on planet earth.

Agree... Everyone needs to understand that with compass error there is no RTH.
Also, flying far away or out of sight complicates things much more. if you cant see it to pilot it back without GPS, then you are going to lose your spark.

I suppose there is no one size fits all solution.... On the one hand, loss of control signal from the RC should mean the spark returns to home, but with no GPS or in ATTI mode it can't do that so it should try to land where it is.  On the other hand.... staying in the air might mean that the control signal can be regained.. but without GPS spark can't know if it is being blown farther away by the wind.
Still, I think that it should try to get to the ground as soon as possible so that it is at least near its last known position so that it can be found more easily.
Again, no one good scenario after loss of position and control.
2017-11-14
Use props
Matt_Alford
lvl.1
South Africa

Well when in a matter of under 10 seconds the screen lights up with errors and the drone flies away, one is left helpless on the ground without any control over the rogue unit.
It was a terrifying experience, watching this very expensive device just change course completely and go off on its own mission.
I'm really hoping DJI can help bring me some sort of resolution on this terrible occurrence
2017-11-14
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-14 05:31
Hi indeed yaw error has nothing to do with gps, it occurs when there is a problem with your compass , so stick movements giving command to aircraft to go one way and due to compass problem aircraft going another direction so this movement cannot be corrected by IMU so report is telling that IMU heading is not correct.
In all dji crafts this is corrected by dropping gps and going into Atti mode, your Spark can’t handle data conflict so Aircraft is set up to basically nullify gps because aircraft can fly without gps but not without compass.
This is an automatic process and happens in this situation very quickly , you see yaw error or speed error compass problem and IMU heading problem and aircraft goes to Atti mode, gps is still there in the background you can see it in the flight logs still recording coordinates etc and as soon as compass is corrected gps will return.

Hallmark007 read my txt not correctly (or ofcourse i wasn`t clear enough  as its not my native language) ; i am not saying that i want to switch to ATTI ; SPARK will automatically go into ATTI when there is a YAW failure. (few moments later that funny message as i can switch to ATTI (read the full file))

I am not sure (just my gut-feeling) that a YAW error occurs when there is a external cause for a compass error. Mayby the YAW error is a bug in the software wich leads to a compass and IMU induced problem.
Why would DJI refund a new drone is the cause of a fly away is a faulty flying enviroment....

I don`t agree that a Drone cannot fly without a compass. It can perfectly keeps position using and calculating GPS signals.

cheers Hans

2017-11-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJBspark Posted at 2017-11-14 11:56
Hallmark007 read my txt not correctly (or ofcourse i wasn`t clear enough  as its not my native language) ; i am not saying that i want to switch to ATTI ; SPARK will automatically go into ATTI when there is a YAW failure. (few moments later that funny message as i can switch to ATTI (read the full file))

I am not sure (just my gut-feeling) that a YAW error occurs when there is a external cause for a compass error. Mayby the YAW error is a bug in the software wich leads to a compass and IMU induced problem.

Flying LOS you can fly back the craft. If the craft is to far away (i have bad eyes ) you can software it to orbit in a radius of 10 meters, the closest distance to homepoint is the direction to fly to.
Once its flying towards home calculate the off-set of that line and yaw left or right to stay on that line.
Once visual get in manual control again.

Above if you read your last sentence, how can you get back manual control unless you switch to Atti mode?

Regarding yaw problem you obviously haven’t seen what happens here, your Aircraft will yaw in a direction not computed by control but caused by compass problem so not a bug but a real movement and a real problem.

Can you show me where you have seen aircraft of any kind flying alone in only gps mode or is it something new .
2017-11-14
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2017-11-14 11:56

JJBspark,
I think you were very clear in your descriptions.  I personally agree with you very much that it is crazy for DJI to ignore very valid and useful GPS data when it is still available during a Compass error.  hallmark007 just disagrees with us.  He has laid out his position on this in many posts on this forum.

In a previous thread we had a long detailed discussion on this very topic and myself at at least one other had argued for a procedure very similar to what you have presented (i.e. make some movements, then compare those movements to your home point to figure out which direction to fly to get back to the home point.
2017-11-14
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matt_Alford Posted at 2017-11-14 11:09
Well when in a matter of under 10 seconds the screen lights up with errors and the drone flies away, one is left helpless on the ground without any control over the rogue unit.
It was a terrifying experience, watching this very expensive device just change course completely and go off on its own mission.
I'm really hoping DJI can help bring me some sort of resolution on this terrible occurrence

Matt_Alford,
I spent some time looking at your log files and I really think there is a very good chance that your Spark crashed into the top of the tree at the coordinates hallmark007 had posted in post #7 of this thread.  I don't claim to be an expert, but I still think there is a good chance of it.

I say this after looking at a 3D model of your flight path as well as looking at the details of your Flight Records.  When I look at the last 3 entries in your FlightRecord log, your aircraft Yawed in one direction almost 90 degrees (from 85.5 in on entry to 176.8 in the next entry).  This was followed again by a yaw in the opposite direction of almost 130 degrees in the next entry (from 176.8 to 40.5).  

In these same 3 log entries there are also massive changes in Pitch (7 to -29.6) and Roll (-7.8 to 31.2 to -81.3).   From what I can tell, there aren't any other places in your logs where there are such massive swings in all 3 axes.  

My interpretation of this is that your Spark likely hit something (probably the top of the tree) and caused it to jerk around.  I wouldn't be surprised if during this crash, it caused the battery to pop out and is likely the reason there are no further communications after this point.

As I mentioned, I'm not an expert, but that's my interpretation.  I think it is a reasonable idea to check in and around that tree to see if your aircraft is there.

Best of luck!
2017-11-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Kloo Gee Posted at 2017-11-14 15:17
JJBspark,
I think you were very clear in your descriptions.  I personally agree with you very much that it is crazy for DJI to ignore very valid and useful GPS data when it is still available during a Compass error.  hallmark007 just disagrees with us.  He has laid out his position on this in many posts on this forum.

Kloo your wrong I don’t disagree with you, what I have asked is has it ever been done can someone show it working not just a theory or simple explanations of something working on the ground, I’m talking in the air, I’m also not sure dji have ignored this and would question how you know this. And while gps heading is dropped not all gps is dropped this can be clearly seen in flight logs where we continue to see long lag being recorded so somewhere in the background gps is working.

This is not about agreeing or disagreeing it’s about what will work best and what would be the safest option, your theory also asks for a degree of pilot skills to get the aircraft on track and pointing and flying in the direction of home or safety but what happens if this looses gps connection your back to Square one.

If someone where to come up with an option for motors to cut and a parachute to deploy when spark or any drone gets compass problem. You would want to see it working before you accept that it will work and I’m sure there would be many more ideas out there for trying to save your AC from crashing.

The one we do know and have seen working is Atti mode,
What I don’t agree is telling people that your system will work without any air test being done and the fact that you are sure that dji have ignored this and if they didn’t why?
2017-11-14
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-14 16:03
Kloo your wrong I don’t disagree with you, what I have asked is has it ever been done can someone show it working not just a theory or simple explanations of something working on the ground, I’m talking in the air, I’m also not sure dji have ignored this and would question how you know this. And while gps heading is dropped not all gps is dropped this can be clearly seen in flight logs where we continue to see long lag being recorded so somewhere in the background gps is working.

This is not about agreeing or disagreeing it’s about what will work best and what would be the safest option, your theory also asks for a degree of pilot skills to get the aircraft on track and pointing and flying in the direction of home or safety but what happens if this looses gps connection your back to Square one.

What are the pilot skills required by Kloo's procedure? it's completely automatic as long as GPS is there.

And if you lose GPS as well, there's still ATTI. But if Kloo's procedure had brought the drone closer before GPS was lost (really lost, as opposed to being valid but thrown away...) ATTI from that point forward would be less challenging.
Besides, you keep bringing up the point of "what if GPS is lost too?" when the current situation is that GPS becomes deliberately lost.
2017-11-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_Kf4iPA3 Posted at 2017-11-14 16:26
What are the pilot skills required by Kloo's procedure? it's completely automatic as long as GPS is there.

And if you lose GPS as well, there's still ATTI. But if Kloo's procedure had brought the drone closer before GPS was lost (really lost, as opposed to being valid but thrown away...) ATTI from that point forward would be less challenging.

There are many cases of gps being lost it is also always vulnerable to jamming.

Question IMU contains magnetometers these are used to keep heading of aircraft receiving instruction from controller to cpu to IMU, if IMU is disabled in any way it may cause aircrafts attitude to be seriously affected. Can you tell me how gps will control this.

2nd question can you show me your theory or kloo’s actually working in the air?

3rd question compass problem will usually start with yaw error aircraft going in a different direction than controller is commanding remember gps is still on at this stage and while on is not able to stop this how does this fit into your theory?
2017-11-14
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Kloo Gee Posted at 2017-11-14 15:17
JJBspark,

My compass data is not agreeing with the GPS data.  Which did you say is the faulty data?  And how do you know which is faulty?  Is your compass now locked onto a metal pole or is your GPS receiver now doing the trick where it shows your car driving a mile offshore the florida coastline?

2017-11-14
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules