Landing Gear Lowering Failure - lucky not carrying an X7!
1745 18 2017-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

My I2 which has logged 85 flights developed a landing gear motor failure. I tried all the usual measures to lower the landing gear and had to resort to a hand catch.

All measures to bring the gear down failed and I ended up having to manually lower the gear through the screw at the bottom of the craft. I've tried R/C and on craft (5x power button press) moves.

How often has this occured? I've scoured forum pages and they speak of some glitch in the operating system but not a real motor failure.

This type of failure  (while I'm sure quite rare) shoud certainly worry owners or potential owners of a x7 where the camera system costs way more than the aircraft.

I'd like a response from DJI as I'm sue will many professional customers.
2017-11-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Here is the working principle of landing gear: the motor (servo motor) starts and gear sets move. The screw lever rotates and the base raises or lowers. Then the shaft hole structure controls the main arm and secondary arm to raise or lower.
The issue hardly happens, if the problem persists, we recommend to send the drone in for thorough diagnosis and repair.
2017-11-12
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-12 22:28
Here is the working principle of landing gear: the motor (servo motor) starts and gear sets move. The screw lever rotates and the base raises or lowers. Then the shaft hole structure controls the main arm and secondary arm to raise or lower.
The issue hardly happens, if the problem persists, we recommend to send the drone in for thorough diagnosis and repair.

Thanks Mindy,

I've manually brought down the landing gear, It looks as if the worm drive motor just died on me. Unlike other posts, there is no sound of the motor engaging whether it would normally do so through either the power button manuever or through toggling the landing gear lever on the remote control.

At start-up, I get an error message about the landing gear fault and advice to protect the gimbal. I'm trying to get a case number to send the unit for repair.

I'm glad to hear that this is a rare problem but i'm sure that professional users on this platform will have something to say, especially when the camera payload is getting more and more expensive.
2017-11-12
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

I sent my aircraft to Shenzhen and the engineers there have assessed that I should be given a free repair.

Well done DJI   I appreciate the fair treatment here.
2017-11-21
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-11-21 21:08
I sent my aircraft to Shenzhen and the engineers there have assessed that I should be given a free repair.

Well done DJI   I appreciate the fair treatment here.

Thanks for your positive feedback. Glad you solve your problem.
2017-11-22
Use props
Mafia16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

i have the same exact error i send the i2 to DJI and they fix it for free under warranty
2017-11-22
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Mafia16 Posted at 2017-11-22 18:44
i have the same exact error i send the i2 to DJI and they fix it for free under warranty

Glad you didn't damage your camera!
2017-11-23
Use props
Mafia16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-11-23 06:21
Glad you didn't damage your camera!

I have to hand catch it many times, also did you try the X7?? on the I2 im waiting for a good reason to buy it
2017-11-23
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Mafia16 Posted at 2017-11-23 07:41
I have to hand catch it many times, also did you try the X7?? on the I2 im waiting for a good reason to buy it

No, I can't justify the purchase of an X7, the X5S is good enough for my uses.
2017-11-24
Use props
FlyaDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 188750 ft
United States

My dealer replaced my first I2 due to landing gear stuck issues. And he replaced it on the spot with anew one out of his inventory. However we ran into problems with the second controller so I have the second aircraft and the first controller in combination. That makes for an interesting situation.
2018-1-27
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-11-21 21:08

Well done DJI   I appreciate the fair treatment here.

MTC

Glad you were able to get this resolved and the  repair was free. Did DJI service tell you what the point of failure was? Wondering if they replaced the center frame or just the landing gear motor unit.

Hope all is well  and a Speedy return of your I2
Rich
2018-1-27
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-1-27 21:43
MTC

Glad you were able to get this resolved and the  repair was free. Did DJI service tell you what the point of failure was? Wondering if they replaced the center frame or just the landing gear motor unit.

Rich,

Thanks for asking. This was quite awhile ago. I don't know what they fixed to be honest- it was a motor failure but I don't know if the centre frame was replaced as well. I've flown quite a bit since without further issues.

Mike
2018-1-28
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2018-1-28 05:25
Rich,

Thanks for asking. This was quite awhile ago. I don't know what they fixed to be honest- it was a motor failure but I don't know if the centre frame was replaced as well. I've flown quite a bit since without further issues.

Mike,
Sorry, I missed this when you originally posted it. Glad that everything is working well again.  I have had my Cendence landing gear button "Bd" not deploy my landing gear. It really scared me at the time (wasn't expecting problems) and I brought the Inspire 2 down close to the ground causing the automatic landing gear to deploy. I have seen this a couple of times but was very unexpected.  I have tested my Cendence several times since plus calibrated all the knobs, dials and sticks.

Lot's of stuff that can go wrong, but really enjoy my I2 when things work correctly.  
Rich
2018-1-28
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-1-28 09:23
Mike,
Sorry, I missed this when you originally posted it. Glad that everything is working well again.  I have had my Cendence landing gear button "Bd" not deploy my landing gear. It really scared me at the time (wasn't expecting problems) and I brought the Inspire 2 down close to the ground causing the automatic landing gear to deploy. I have seen this a couple of times but was very unexpected.  I have tested my Cendence several times since plus calibrated all the knobs, dials and sticks.

Good to hear. You have a veritable DJI fleet of aircraft! What do you do with your various birds?
2018-1-29
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2018-1-29 19:19
Good to hear. You have a veritable DJI fleet of aircraft! What do you do with your various birds?

Mike
I fly mainly as a hobby enjoying retirement. Sometimes get talked into some special work.
but, mountains, river action and landscapes are the focus of my endeavors. managed to fly at the west coast ocean beaches too.  

Rich

2018-1-29
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-1-29 20:50
Mike
I fly mainly as a hobby enjoying retirement. Sometimes get talked into some special work.
but, mountains, river action and landscapes are the focus of my endeavors. managed to fly at the west coast ocean beaches too.  

Something to aspire to.... Keep it up.
2018-1-29
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2018-1-29 20:59
Something to aspire to.... Keep it up.

Thank you sir...   

All the best
Rich
2018-1-29
Use props
ClearBluePhoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4498074 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Having the same issue.  new aircraft, less than 20 flights.  After several flights for a film production the other night landing gear refused to come down and had to hand catch.  Have tried everything to get it to work and currently can only manually lower the legs with the screw on the bottom.  No error messages on the controller screen and when I try to use the aircraft button to lower the legs the aircraft status indicator turns blue and the aircraft beeps 4 times.  Nothing in the manual to decipher this.  You can see that here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tLaePPFuc3tRVDT03   

Pretty disappointed.
2018-3-19
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

ClearBluePhoto Posted at 2018-3-19 12:12
Having the same issue.  new aircraft, less than 20 flights.  After several flights for a film production the other night landing gear refused to come down and had to hand catch.  Have tried everything to get it to work and currently can only manually lower the legs with the screw on the bottom.  No error messages on the controller screen and when I try to use the aircraft button to lower the legs the aircraft status indicator turns blue and the aircraft beeps 4 times.  Nothing in the manual to decipher this.  You can see that here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tLaePPFuc3tRVDT03   

Just send it in. DJI will repair for free. I've flown >130 flights on this machine and its generally worth the investment. Chill man, life goes on.
2018-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules