Draing of lake Geode in Iowa-Update 7-2018
1814 14 2017-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Some interesting video of the draining of this lake in southeastern Iowa. It covers about 175 acres, and it was decided it needed to be drained because of some concerns with pollution from pesticides and such from the surrounding areas. Plans are to drain the lake and let it dry for a least a year. Removal of the silt in the bottom along with reshaping the bottom and making it more habitable for the fish, is expected to take up to 3 years. Original plans thought it would take several months to drain this much water, but I took this video after only 2-weeks of pulling the plug. I have never witnessed anything like this before.
Took this with my Phantom 3 Advanced.

2017-11-13
Use props
Phantom One
First Officer
Flight distance : 135299 ft
United States

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.  So there had to be fish in the lake, correct?  How did they go about removing them?
2017-11-13
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Phantom One Posted at 2017-11-13 10:59
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.  So there had to be fish in the lake, correct?  How did they go about removing them?

Good question, and what I was told was they let them go out the drain on the one end of the lake, which was draining into a small nearby river via a creek. I have no idea how true that may be. You will notice though there is no vegetation at all on the bottom of the lake. I'm curious as to just how much of a fish population there really was. Certainly caught my eye when I drove upon it. There are some tires and such you  may or may not be able to see, which is what was put in the shoreline to help promote the fish life. This lake was apparently up to 50 feet deep in some areas.
2017-11-13
Use props
Phantom One
First Officer
Flight distance : 135299 ft
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-11-13 11:07
Good question, and what I was told was they let them go out the drain on the one end of the lake, which was draining into a small nearby river via a creek. I have no idea how true that may be. You will notice though there is no vegetation at all on the bottom of the lake. I'm curious as to just how much of a fish population there really was. Certainly caught my eye when I drove upon it. There are some tires and such you  may or may not be able to see, which is what was put in the shoreline to help promote the fish life. This lake was apparently up to 50 feet deep in some areas.

Yeah, no vegetation at all.. couldn't have been too much, if any at all, wildlife in them waters.  lol
2017-11-13
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Good use of the P3A and a useful bit of footage to monitor how it all goes. Be nice if you could do a few followup's as it goes along.
Presume lake was man made?
2017-11-13
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

sky wombat Posted at 2017-11-13 12:07
Good use of the P3A and a useful bit of footage to monitor how it all goes. Be nice if you could do a few followup's as it goes along.
Presume lake was man made?

Yes, I plan on doing a couple follow up throughout the project.
2017-11-13
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Nice watch!  Keep posting the progress.
2017-11-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very interesting.
Looking forward to see how it looks next.
2017-11-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Great job! Thanks for sharing!
2017-11-13
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

I recently flew over the Lake Geode project here in Iowa. It has been a year now since the draining of this lake was started. Weather has caused some delays, but here is an update of what it looks like. A lot of vegitation has now grown up from the bottom. They are excavating areas of the bottom and taking the soil up to an adjacent area as you can see in the video. The project is supposed to be completed by 2019, and then the natural filling of the lake will be left to "Mother-Nature". It is estimated it will take a minumum of 5 years for the lake to return to normal levels.

2018-7-18
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>

Great to have the follow up footage. Now don't forget to mark all the deeper bits as possible fishing sites when they refill the dam.
2018-7-18
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Hope they restock it with bass.
2018-7-18
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

sky wombat Posted at 2018-7-18 11:56
Great to have the follow up footage. Now don't forget to mark all the deeper bits as possible fishing sites when they refill the dam.

Yeah, that would be a good idea. LOL I'm not a fisherman myself, but it will be interesting to see how it goes.
2018-7-18
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-7-18 13:01
Hope they restock it with bass.

Hard to tell. I would think being a state park they would do something.
2018-7-18
Use props
dronto
Second Officer
Singapore

very interesting...did not know about this lake in Iowa previously
2018-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules