Did top speed in P mode change?
2319 9 2017-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
REAL_Z11
New
Flight distance : 318451 ft
United States

I was flying my P4 this weekend and noticed that in P mode i can only achieve about 13 mph in any direction.  I don't remember what standard speed was but I know it was faster.  In S mode I'm getting about 41-42 mph regardless of tailwind.  Previous top speed in S mode is 58 mph.  I'm using the DJI GO 4 app but that should not have an impact on speed?  

Thanks in advance for your input.
2017-11-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There are only two things that should change the top speed you can achieve in P-GPS mode.
1.  Flying into a headwind
2. Flying with obstacle avoidance enabled.
With OA enabled your top speed would be 22mph.  Without OA you should get around 36mph

Is it possible that you are looking at speeds that are displayed in metric units?
13 metres/sec = 29mph
2017-11-13
Use props
REAL_Z11
New
United States

Labroides
Thanks for your reply.  It is mph and the drone is noticeably slower in the air.  It looks like it's crawling along.   Maybe time for a firmware update?
2017-11-13
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

Actually if you're in P mode with obstacle avoidance turned on you should achieve about 22 mph at altitude, but if you're flying close to the ground, like say 3-5 feet above the ground it will fly considerably slower.

--Jim
2017-11-13
Use props
REAL_Z11
New
United States

Labroides,

Thanks for the quick reply.  The units are mph and the drone is noticeable slower in the air.  It looks like it's crawling at 13 mph.  App and firmware are up to date.  
2017-11-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would suggest to fly in another location without interference and check again. Alternatively, you can disable the VPS to see whether it works. Please kindly note that P-mode requires larger stick movements to achieve high speeds.
2017-11-13
Use props
REAL_Z11
New
United States

*** UPDATE AND SOLUTION ***
Well, I was able to fix the slow flying P4 by installing DJI Assistant 2 and resetting the unit back to "Factory Default".  I also "refreshed" the current firmware.  Don't know which of the two actually fixed it but all is good now.  Thank you all for your comments.
2017-11-16
Use props
fansb885c69e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 349419 ft
Canada

Perhaps you were in "tripod mode" that slows the unit down quite a bit,
2017-11-16
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

REAL_Z11 Posted at 2017-11-16 14:56
Well, I was able to fix the slow flying P4 by installing DJI Assistant 2 and resetting the unit back to "Factory Default".  I also "refreshed" the current firmware.  Don't know which of the two actually fixed it but all is good now.  Thank you all for your comments.

Good outcome - well done.

I'd recently found that if I update firmware on my P4, do a factory reset, then refresh the firmware again, the craft has a better likelihood of a fully operational update. That corresponds with what you've found, so that's good to have verified with another.
2017-11-16
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

REAL_Z11 Posted at 2017-11-16 14:56

Aloha Z11,

Can you put that "Update and Solution" in the subject lline of the Thread?  That way people can see that the problem is solved and look at what you did.

Good to hear you fixed the problem!

Aloha and Drone On!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-11-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules