imovie for editing drone footage.
3579 16 2017-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 607336 ft
United Kingdom

Since i've downloaded imovie on to my macbook pro i would say the macbook as slowed down a little? i would say the only thing i could do to speed up the macbook is t add some ram, the macbook is running on 4 meg of ram at the moment and i know it could go to 8 meg of ram. What's your thoughts on this?

Also do i need to leave my clips and project in imovie or would it be best for me to empty the movie's that i have created to free up some space for the computer to run faster. I have the movie's on hard drive and stick memory. any thoughts please.
2017-11-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I presume you mean Gigabytes of memory rather than Megabytes? The best thing you could do to speed up the process is equip the Mac with an SSD drive, a normal HDD can slow it down. And copy all movies to the SSD before editing them, do not run the movies or attempt to edit them from the stick drive.
2017-11-13
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

To keep plenty of free space for the Mac to work uninterrupted, transfer files onto stick drive. I've transfer all video/photo work onto a 128 gb stick drive to free up plenty of space. I would remove what you have stored and transfer onto a stick drive. Don't keep video/photos on the iMovie. Save your original file on desktop then transfer to that stick. So much easier and you'll notice a speed difference with the Mac.
2017-11-13
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

"Also do i need to leave my clips and project in imovie or would it be best for me to empty the movie's that i have created to free up some space for the computer to run faster."

Yes, good move.
2017-11-13
Use props
JohnEKay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 217917 ft
United States

I doubled my ram from 4 to 8gb that's an easy one then look into SSD drives, youtube a comparison everything loads much faster.
2017-11-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-11-13 15:51
To keep plenty of free space for the Mac to work uninterrupted, transfer files onto stick drive. I've transfer all video/photo work onto a 128 gb stick drive to free up plenty of space. I would remove what you have stored and transfer onto a stick drive. Don't keep video/photos on the iMovie. Save your original file on desktop then transfer to that stick. So much easier and you'll notice a speed difference with the Mac.

I don't know where your information comes from, but if by 'sticki drive' you mean a memory dxrive connected via USB, then it will not help to keep movies stored there. You are limited to the speed of the USB interface, which is quite slow. Far better to use an SSD on the computer and keep the files there.
2017-11-13
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-11-13 18:53
I don't know where your information comes from, but if by 'sticki drive' you mean a memory dxrive connected via USB, then it will not help to keep movies stored there. You are limited to the speed of the USB interface, which is quite slow. Far better to use an SSD on the computer and keep the files there.

I just transfer files from the external drive, use it to create my videos, delete what I don't need then store the actual video there and post up. No need to use up my hard drive space to store videos/photos etc.

2017-11-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-11-14 14:51
I just transfer files from the external drive, use it to create my videos, delete what I don't need then store the actual video there and post up. No need to use up my hard drive space to store videos/photos etc.

Sorry, I may have misunderstood you. If you are just storing the video footage on the stick drive, that's fine. But when playing it or editing it, you are better off with an SSD.
2017-11-14
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-11-14 15:18
Sorry, I may have misunderstood you. If you are just storing the video footage on the stick drive, that's fine. But when playing it or editing it, you are better off with an SSD.

"But when playing it or editing it, you are better off with an SSD."

2017-11-14
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-11-13 15:51

I'm saving my iMovie movies video that I have created on stick then transfer to an external hd which frees my MacBook up but in iMovie I still have the clips that I have edited, what do I do with them? I can't seem to find a way of saving the clips incase I need to go back in and make any adjustments.
2017-11-15
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-11-14 14:51

So when you've finished all your editing do you delete all the video's and clips from iMovie which leaves nothing in iMovie? until the next time you do some editing?.

If so, what do you do If you need to make adjustments to your final cut?
2017-11-15
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-11-15 01:00
So when you've finished all your editing do you delete all the video's and clips from iMovie which leaves nothing in iMovie? until the next time you do some editing?.

If so, what do you do If you need to make adjustments to your final cut?

That's correct. I delete from iMovie because it'll then store it there in the computers hard drive (you don't want that b/c it'll eat up your hard drive space then your computer will become slower with time due to lack to HD space). I keep all my completed videos on a separate hard drive stick (128 gb is ideal). Whenever I want to transfer files or view a video, just stick the HD external drive back to the computer's port. Simple. Now you have all the untouched HD space to use.

On FCPX, again I just use to create/edit then export video but onto the HD stick I'd mentioned. Delete the video from FCPX because it'll then use up the HD on my computer. Makes sense?

2017-11-15
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-11-15 00:38
I'm saving my iMovie movies video that I have created on stick then transfer to an external hd which frees my MacBook up but in iMovie I still have the clips that I have edited, what do I do with them? I can't seem to find a way of saving the clips incase I need to go back in and make any adjustments.

Okay, that's a bit different. If you decide to save all the videos you've created to then go back and make adjustments/edit later then you can keep those on your computer's main hard drive but remember, you'll be using up your hard drive space. For me, once I've made them, the videos, I usually delete because I'm not going back to edit.

I have however separate video clips on a separate HD in case I wanted to re-use the clips but again they're not on my main computer's hard drive.
2017-11-15
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-11-15 05:52
Okay, that's a bit different. If you decide to save all the videos you've created to then go back and make adjustments/edit later then you can keep those on your computer's main hard drive but remember, you'll be using up your hard drive space. For me, once I've made them, the videos, I usually delete because I'm not going back to edit.

I have however separate video clips on a separate HD in case I wanted to re-use the clips but again they're not on my main computer's hard drive.

Thanks M.C.pilot that all makes sense. thanks for your advice.
2017-11-15
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-11-15 05:52

Would you do me a favour and take a look at some video's I've done and give me some advice on how to better my technique in aerial photography.

I'll send you my youtube name if your interested.
2017-11-15
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-11-15 07:36
Would you do me a favour and take a look at some video's I've done and give me some advice on how to better my technique in aerial photography.

I'll send you my youtube name if your interested.

sure, send ytube name
2017-11-15
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

paultomo 1000

Cheers
2017-11-15
Use props
Advanced