1052 19 2017-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spoki
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102257 ft
Germany

Hope this is not to silly.....  

I have my Spark some weeks now and I am still trying to get used to it.
Yesterday I tried to fly without connecting my smartphone.
So I only used the rc.
The problem I see is I only could fly a very short distance and than the spark was stuck in the air.
After connecting my smartphone additional I was able to fly a longer distance,
What is the problem? Is that normal. I just wanted to fly without connecting smartphone just to have some fun and the distance I could go was very short.
Maybe 50 meters I can just guess.

Ideas very appreciated.

Roland
2017-11-14
Use props
andwluv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 167241 ft
Malaysia

Really! i didn't know it able to take off without smartphone connecting to RC. i try it out and it do Back to your post, i guess it's a fail safe mode that only can fly 30m up and 50m away without any smartphone linkup
2017-11-14
Use props
Spoki
lvl.2
Germany

andwluv Posted at 2017-11-14 05:08
Really! i didn't know it able to take off without smartphone connecting to RC. i try it out and it do Back to your post, i guess it's a fail safe mode that only can fly 30m up and 50m away without any smartphone linkup

Thanks for the reply. Sad to hear about that limitation but it looks like.
Roland
2017-11-14
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Spoki Posted at 2017-11-14 05:17
Thanks for the reply. Sad to hear about that limitation but it looks like.
Roland

As you did not connected to our app, you might not log in the DJI account and it would lead to range limitation. Please connect to smartphone first and ensure that you log in the account. Then leaving your spark open when you disconnect your phone. Flying without phone means that there is no flight record. Please fly with caution.
2017-11-14
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

andwluv Posted at 2017-11-14 05:08

Please try the advice in 4# and inform us if the problem still here.
2017-11-14
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Without having a camera view, I probably wouldnt fly it any further.  
But thats probably only me. ;-)
2017-11-14
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

The times I have flown in the front yard with RC only, I noticed initially the Spark wouldn't fly above the low power lines to the house. After 1 to 4 minutes the Spark was then able to fly above the tree tops. I suspect limits are imposed until the Spark acquires enough GPS sats to go from ATTI to GPS mode from within the Spark. I can only attest to altitude as the yard is lined with trees and the longest run is probably only 40-50 m. Anywhere else I always fly with the Go 4 app/phone attached to the RC.
2017-11-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Pappy3 Posted at 2017-11-15 00:15
The times I have flown in the front yard with RC only, I noticed initially the Spark wouldn't fly above the low power lines to the house. After 1 to 4 minutes the Spark was then able to fly above the tree tops. I suspect limits are imposed until the Spark acquires enough GPS sats to go from ATTI to GPS mode from within the Spark. I can only attest to altitude as the yard is lined with trees and the longest run is probably only 40-50 m. Anywhere else I always fly with the Go 4 app/phone attached to the RC.

I would recommend you fly in a place with good GPS signal. Please note that drones need at least 6 satellites to record the home points.
2017-11-15
Use props
Spoki
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-11-15 00:38
I would recommend you fly in a place with good GPS signal. Please note that drones need at least 6 satellites to record the home points.

I will try advice 4 as soon as the temperatures are going up again. It’s about 0 degrees. Fu..... cold for fly.
2017-11-16
Use props
Ryan's Sparky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302316 ft
Norway

wow, I never knew you could fly just with RC but no phone!
2017-11-16
Use props
Micato
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2057103 ft
Croatia

Ryan's Sparky Posted at 2017-11-16 09:56
wow, I never knew you could fly just with RC but no phone!

Yes, you can but with restrictions. VLOS about 50 m away.
2017-11-16
Use props
realtortom
New

United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-11-14 19:41
As you did not connected to our app, you might not log in the DJI account and it would lead to range limitation. Please connect to smartphone first and ensure that you log in the account. Then leaving your spark open when you disconnect your phone. Flying without phone means that there is no flight record. Please fly with caution.

To explore this option, should I turn the iPhone off in order to keep it from communication via wifi while using the RC?
2017-11-16
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

realtortom Posted at 2017-11-16 17:22
To explore this option, should I turn the iPhone off in order to keep it from communication via wifi while using the RC?

I think you can turn off your Iphone if you want to fly with RC without app. But I would recommend you fly with app instead for your drone's safety.
2017-11-17
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Spoki Posted at 2017-11-16 09:26
I will try advice 4 as soon as the temperatures are going up again. It’s about 0 degrees. Fu..... cold for fly.

Please keep us updated, hope it can work.
2017-11-17
Use props
Spoki
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-11-17 04:48
Please keep us updated, hope it can work.

Update.

Still f.... cold here but I tried today and I had a different frightening experience.

So I just started only with RC and no phone.
I could fly more than the expected 50 meters, but than the spark got,stuck in the air about 100 meters away from me.
I was not able to get it back and also RTH did not work.
I think it got the wrong gps data, maybe I started before it had gps data.
I connected my phone than and after 30 seconds ICAS able to get the spark back to me.
I think I will not fly without my phone anymore. I was frightened to not get my drone back.

Happy Sunday.
2017-11-19
Use props
andwluv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 167241 ft
Malaysia

Spoki Posted at 2017-11-19 06:27
Update.

Still f.... cold here but I tried today and I had a different frightening experience.

Thanks for the heads-up
2017-11-19
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Someone told me long ago that this is not possible, this just proves them wrong.  You can fly without connecting to the app.
2017-11-19
Use props
Spoki
lvl.2
Germany

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-11-19 08:07
Someone told me long ago that this is not possible, this just proves them wrong.  You can fly without connecting to the app.

yes it works. but with the mentioned limitations.
2017-11-20
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

Without initial gps position from the phone, it takes longer time for the spark to find gps fix.
(Pappy3 almost said that)
2017-11-20
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Spoki Posted at 2017-11-19 06:27
Update.

I think it is much safer when you fly with app. Because you can check the GPS signal and message from your app and do action before crash. I think the limitation was caused by weak GPS signal. Please ensure that you fly in a place with good signal and no interference.  
2017-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules