1509 23 2017-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone Man
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3896588 ft
United States

Good morning,
With recent updates to the P4 and Go 4 app my ipad mini 2 has become useless due to the
CPU processing requirements of the drone and app, I suspect many others are having a similar issue with ipads and phones,
My suggestion,
Can DJI put out a "stripped down" version of the Go app ??
For example,
No editor or other features that don't affect the drone flying.
Would this help with the now large CPU demands on our devises ??
2017-11-14
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is a lot going on here and you would be better off upgrading your tablet. As things roll on you will need as much speed and memory as you can obtain. I don't see DJI doing a stripped down version, only a larger version. I use a Mini 4
2017-11-14
Use props
Nebicaneser
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

I m 100% agree with the Drone Man  idea : I deleted about 100 mb of content from the editor part . I dont really need this content.

2017-11-14
Use props
Håkan K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 262946 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

There is a stripped down app from DJI called pilot. But it’s only available on android and or CS. Would have been great with a port to iOS to overcome these issues.
2017-11-14
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

I wonder how many people even use all those extra features (many of them seem like gimmicks that you might try once or twice when you first get the drone and then on after never use them again)
2017-11-14
Use props
McCraik
lvl.3
Flight distance : 338366 ft
United Kingdom

A stripped down flying only version sounds good, I to have only quickly looked at the rest of the app and find it of no real use. I to have a mini2 and occasionally get a green screen or processor overheat warning, Just a quick question Drone Man have you upgraded to iOS 11? I have read on other forums that the mini2 is the lowest spec for the upgrade and iOS 11 causes lag without running DJI Go.
2017-11-14
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

You could strip down much of what is in the app and it would make no difference. Things like the editor only use resources when that section is in use, not when the aircraft is flying. If you want a leaner app, then try Litchi. But I would second Roger8's suggestion of updating your iPad mini, more processor power is always handy.
2017-11-14
Use props
Drone Man
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3896588 ft
United States

McCraik Posted at 2017-11-14 15:21
A stripped down flying only version sounds good, I to have only quickly looked at the rest of the app and find it of no real use. I to have a mini2 and occasionally get a green screen or processor overheat warning, Just a quick question Drone Man have you upgraded to iOS 11? I have read on other forums that the mini2 is the lowest spec for the upgrade and iOS 11 causes lag without running DJI Go.

Yes I made the mistake of upgrading to ios 11,
My mini 2 on ios 11 with the GO 4 app  4.1.17 works perfectly flying my Mavic Platinum,
However not with my P4, green screen with CPU overload warning.
I do have a mini 4 that I will start using.
Has anyone heard of a mini 5 release ??
2017-11-14
Use props
Hartwell
New
Flight distance : 228940 ft
United States

Very much agree here. I understand the drive by DJI is to put as many goodies as they can into the App to drive sales and consumer adoption. Lets face it, a lot of people don't have a computer with video editing software sitting around they can jump on and use when editing their videos and pics. My issue is that these tools don't belong bundled into my flight controller. As more and more stuff gets pushed into the DJI GO app, the likelihood of bugs and instability increases, along with processing power and space. The app slows down, or crashes or both. If my video editor runs slow or crashes, it can be annoying. You reload and move on, annoyed perhaps, but its not the end of the world.  If my flight controller crashes or slows down and my $2000 drone crashes, is damaged or lost, I'm not annoyed, I am looking for DJI to refund my $2000.
2017-11-14
Use props
Hartwell
New
Flight distance : 228940 ft
United States

Ask yourself, was the cool editor feature you crammed into my flight controller worth the $2k refund, upset off customer and negative PR. Likely, not so much. Would it not be better to create a 'DJI Create" or some such app that does all the cool stuff like video editing and streaming to FB, etc. in a package designed for it and separate from my flight controller. Let the consumer choose to download the 'DJI Create' App if they want these tools, onto the device they use to fly or onto a device they use to review and edit. But, let me download and use just the DPI GO app with the core, stable, reliable flight controls and camera setting features I need to use the drone in the field without fear of lockups, freezing and unexpected crashes.

If DJI has a feed back loop, I do hope they take this feedback seriously.
2017-11-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

As Geebax has already suggested, Litchi (and no doubt a number of others) is a leaner app. It works fine on a Mini 2 without green screens. I run both litchi and DJI GO - each for a different reason. And to buy a copy of Litchi is cheaper than upgrading your iPad.

That being said, I opted to upgrade from my Mini 2 to an Air 2 anyway. Just thought it was time...
2017-11-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The latest APP requires more powerful devices. I understand your situation and will report to our engineers for review.
2017-11-14
Use props
Peo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 25409177 ft
Sweden

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-11-14 06:37
There is a lot going on here and you would be better off upgrading your tablet. As things roll on you will need as much speed and memory as you can obtain. I don't see DJI doing a stripped down version, only a larger version. I use a Mini 4

I'm using an ipad mini 4, even complaining about the CPU nowadays. Soon you will have to bring your stationary computer to the field
2017-11-14
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Peo Posted at 2017-11-14 23:11
I'm using an ipad mini 4, even complaining about the CPU nowadays. Soon you will have to bring your stationary computer to the field

Most likely not. The processors get faster and memory larger very rapidly as well. I figure that there is a faster version of the Mini 4 on the horizon. I really enjoy my Mini 4. It is the perfect size and weight for my RC's
2017-11-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hartwell Posted at 2017-11-14 18:06
Ask yourself, was the cool editor feature you crammed into my flight controller worth the $2k refund, upset off customer and negative PR. Likely, not so much. Would it not be better to create a 'DJI Create" or some such app that does all the cool stuff like video editing and streaming to FB, etc. in a package designed for it and separate from my flight controller. Let the consumer choose to download the 'DJI Create' App if they want these tools, onto the device they use to fly or onto a device they use to review and edit. But, let me download and use just the DPI GO app with the core, stable, reliable flight controls and camera setting features I need to use the drone in the field without fear of lockups, freezing and unexpected crashes.

If DJI has a feed back loop, I do hope they take this feedback seriously.

If my flight controller crashes or slows down and my $2000 drone crashes, is damaged or lost, I'm not annoyed, I am looking for DJI to refund my $2000.
Ask yourself, was the cool editor feature you crammed into my flight controller worth the $2k refund, upset off customer and negative PR.

The flight controller is in your Phantom and is completely unrelated to the app in your tablet.
Nothing from the app gets uploaded to the flight controller.
An app crash does not make your Phantom crash.
You still have full control even if the app crashes.

But I agree with you about the unnecessary way the app has blown out and it would be a good idea to have a striped back app that works for everyone.
2017-11-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Håkan K Posted at 2017-11-14 10:12
There is a stripped down app from DJI called pilot. But it’s only available on android and or CS. Would have been great with a port to iOS to overcome these issues.

Are you sure about that and is it suitable for modern Phantoms?
If there is, it's well hidden:  https://play.google.com/store/search?q=dji&c=apps&hl=en
In the old days before lightbridge Phantoms, there was a Pilot app.
It was replaced by the Go app.
2017-11-15
Use props
Håkan K
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Labroides Posted at 2017-11-15 05:01
If there is, it's well hidden:  https://play.google.com/store/search?q=dji&c=apps&hl=en

I would assume so. It's currently being used for Matrice. Matrice downloads I don't have an android device so I can't try it.
2017-11-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-11-14 18:11
As Geebax has already suggested, Litchi (and no doubt a number of others) is a leaner app. It works fine on a Mini 2 without green screens. I run both litchi and DJI GO - each for a different reason. And to buy a copy of Litchi is cheaper than upgrading your iPad.

That being said, I opted to upgrade from my Mini 2 to an Air 2 anyway. Just thought it was time...

& you are glad you did?! Ha

Flying my Phantom 3 Pro with the The iPad Air2 Cellular.
It being one heck of a powerhouse, workhorse device.
Had mine going for a couple of years already, never even a single hiccup, in all that time.
I began this adventure with the original Pilot app, until it grew up, and out.  
Now both the Go apps have slowly become bloated...
Too many devices expected to run well, on one app.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2017-11-15 05:01

When the Phantom 3 Pro first became available, the defunct Pilot app was our only option.

The newer updated Go app was released a few months later...

RedHotPoker
2017-11-15
Use props
McCraik
lvl.3
Flight distance : 338366 ft
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-11-14 18:11

That’s spooky, following slight problems with mini2 I went to local CEX and got a second user air2! Have got the cellular for the gps, still deciding if it is too large for carrying about. I think the ideal would be a mini4 cellular but couldn’t source one locally and refuse to pay full Apple price.
2017-11-15
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

Could probably rewrite it as a "native app" using C++. That way Android doesn't use Java, but iOS is already C# (I assume) so in that case it probably wouldn't make much difference
2017-11-15
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

My suggestion was a Go app on Win10 on an I7 CPU with 4 or 8 GB RAM.
2017-11-15
Use props
Da Lata
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008297 ft

Brazil

Håkan K Posted at 2017-11-14 10:12

I can't find the app on the play store. Do you have a link?
2017-11-17
Use props
Håkan K
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Da Lata Posted at 2017-11-17 02:37
I can't find the app on the play store. Do you have a link?

See comment 17. There is a link there. Follow that link and bottom right.
2017-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules