Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Otg cable
2551 36 2017-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3f16d419
lvl.3
Flight distance : 25758 ft
Norway

Hey guys and girls. What do you recommend, otg cable or wifi?? I would love to get som helpful feedback. Btw i fly the dji spark with an otg cable.
2017-11-14
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Intriging question, what will you do if 51% of the respondants uses WIFI?
Do what makes you happy i would say....
2017-11-14
Use props
Cookster670
First Officer
Australia

I used to ahve issues with wifi, having to choose channels all the time, breaking up images..etc.   Admittedly, I didn’t stick with it that long before I decided to go OTG.   With OTG it’s very reliable, but I notice some of the settings don’t seem to stick (eg max altitude, max distance, button functions).

Not sure if the 701 Firmware fixes any of this, but I still prefer OTG at this stage
2017-11-14
Use props
AlfexOmega
lvl.3

United Kingdom

In my experience you get a much more stable and reliable connection with OTG
2017-11-14
Use props
LouisP
Captain
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

I have not noticed any difference between wifi and OTG...  That said,  some people using android find a big improvement.
Some Android phones won't use cellular data if the wifi is connected, IOS doesn't seem to have that problem.   So if you are using android and want to have connection to the internet at the same time to stream or download maps, then OTG might be useful to you.
2017-11-14
Use props
mtnlandpix
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Never used an OTG cable.  Wifi has always worked great. I guess it never made sense to me to use a cable when the wifi connection was only a distance of 4 or 5 inches.  However, I am in the US.  Might be different if I was in Europe.
2017-11-14
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Using OTG (with iOS for me) can no longer save your settings and will restrict your height and distance, wifi has come a long way and it is dependable in my opinion.
2017-11-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

First of all, the recommended connection way is via WiFi. The connection between the Spark RC and the mobile device via OTG cable has not been fully tested, so if you do want to use an OTG, I would suggest that you use it with caution.
2017-11-14
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Please fly with wifi instead of OTG cable. Using OTG won't make the range larger and it is not recommended.
2017-11-14
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-11-14 22:03
Please fly with wifi instead of OTG cable. Using OTG won't make the range larger and it is not recommended.

But it should be:

Androids (most, afaik) can't mobil data Internet, if in a "no internet" wifi connection
And how is the band change, RC-AC connection loss, from 5.8 to 2.4 possible, if the phone does not support 5.8 wifi connections to RC?
On top, the video feed is less laggy and more stabil with OTG connected

So, why DJI is not "just" testing it fully and start recommending it?
All about sales figures for the Mavic, perhaps?
2017-11-14
Use props
BerkoZg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2628 ft
Croatia

AlfexOmega Posted at 2017-11-14 14:04
In my experience you get a much more stable and reliable connection with OTG

I agree. No disconects, image transfer is great. No glitches and breaks in video. Video delay is almost real time. With wifi it was around 3 sec in my case.
2017-11-14
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-14 22:54
But it should be:

Androids (most, afaik) can't mobil data Internet, if in a "no internet" wifi connection

When it comes to video lag, please ensure that no bluetooth device and interference around. And our engineers are working on improving the performance of image transmission。
2017-11-15
Use props
fans3f16d419
lvl.3
Norway

Thans for all the good answers. I have decided to stop using the otg cable for a while because i can fly much higher without it.  And now i wanna ask you guys if i should use the 2,4 ghz or 5,8? I know that with 5,8 the distance is abit limited. What are youre thoughts about 2,4 and 5,8?
2017-11-15
Use props
The Quadfather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439026 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

i have some problems with responsiveness on Wifi - half a second here a second there is not what you want when remoting an aircraft - OTG made this better and have so far reduced the lag i had
2017-11-15
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

I have recently tested the OTG cable, and I must say it really makes a difference for me especially when taking the Spark to the limit range, the image does no longer lag or glitch, and some how I get less disconnections when I fly to the limit range wich also has been increased when connected to the 2.4GHZ.
2017-11-15
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2017-11-15 14:04
I have recently tested the OTG cable, and I must say it really makes a difference for me especially when taking the Spark to the limit range, the image does no longer lag or glitch, and some how I get less disconnections when I fly to the limit range wich also has been increased when connected to the 2.4GHZ.

I certainly would not give away my OTG cables any more! To me it is simply obvious that a cable connection from the RC to the monitor (whichever you are using) can only be better and more stable than a WiFi connection. On the other hand, if users are happy with the image transmission quality they are getting via WiFi, all is well too. At the bottom line I believe that the key element is anyway, how good the connection between the Spark an the RC is.
2017-11-15
Use props
fans3f16d419
lvl.3
Norway

But do you recommend 2,4 or 5,8 ghz? Im pretty new to this whole experiens. So i would love some great pros or cons for the 2,4 and 5,8. Greetings from a pretty fresh drone pilot. Ho btw love everything about the experience.
2017-11-15
Use props
LOMELI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 887031 ft
Panama

After  4 emails back and forth I have not gotten any REAL answer from DJI support but to send my Spark in for service. My unit is not broken not failing.

I started using an OTG due to the fact that the lag I was getting made it impossible for me to control the drone and even dangerous put in it close to people or objects (by the time I stop the drone, what I assumed it was 30 - 40 ft away it was already more like 10 ft from the objects). All of this while in LOS, but at a certain distance it is hard to judge the real separation between objects.

My quest for info stared due to the fact that with OTG, the GO 4 app will not save greater max altitude or distance, but will save lower values, I'm hoping this is an app glitch and not a "lock" from DJI.

My real disappointment is that DJI in no means has tried to share real and solid information about this product (maybe others either). Util right now I have not been answered the following questions:
1. Will OTG lock my max altitude / distance values due to a bug in the app?
2. If OTG is not supported by Spark, why does it work better than WiFi?
3. Why/where can't I find official DJI answers that do not seem to be dodging the facts?

Any "unofficial" ideas?
2017-11-15
Use props
LOMELI
Second Officer
Panama

Could you please explain why is it not recommended.
2017-11-15
Use props
LOMELI
Second Officer
Panama

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-14 21:21
First of all, the recommended connection way is via WiFi. The connection between the Spark RC and the mobile device via OTG cable has not been fully tested, so if you do want to use an OTG, I would suggest that you use it with caution.

Is DJI aware of the situation where max altitude / distance values cannot be modified?
2017-11-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

LOMELI Posted at 2017-11-15 17:35
Could you please explain why is it not recommended.

OTG cable is not fully tested and it may cause new problems. For you second question, can you give more details about the max altitude? What is the version of your app? Any error message when you failed to modify the setting?
2017-11-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-11-15 20:27
OTG cable is not fully tested and it may cause new problems. For you second question, can you give more details about the max altitude? What is the version of your app? Any error message when you failed to modify the setting?

"may cause new problems"

Yep, that may.
I am still looking for them.
But it is solving SOME other problems.
It is not "it may solve".
2017-11-15
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Captain
Spain

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-15 14:59
I certainly would not give away my OTG cables any more! To me it is simply obvious that a cable connection from the RC to the monitor (whichever you are using) can only be better and more stable than a WiFi connection. On the other hand, if users are happy with the image transmission quality they are getting via WiFi, all is well too. At the bottom line I believe that the key element is anyway, how good the connection between the Spark an the RC is.

You are absolutely right.
2017-11-15
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Captain
Spain

fans3f16d419 Posted at 2017-11-15 15:23
But do you recommend 2,4 or 5,8 ghz? Im pretty new to this whole experiens. So i would love some great pros or cons for the 2,4 and 5,8. Greetings from a pretty fresh drone pilot. Ho btw love everything about the experience.

It depends on the signal "noise" you get in each frequencies, 2.4 is more unstable in city areas where 5.8 is more stable but has much shorter range than 2.4...you have to try both and see witch suits you best.
2017-11-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

I do think in CE it is 2.4 if in non urban, but 5.8 in urban areas.
I FCC, in LOS, it is in both areas a advantage, to stay in 5.8: less interferences
And even in LOS, but far, far away, till now 5.8 is not a deal breaker.

2017-11-15
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
First Officer
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

My very old Anrdoid phone (LG G3) can, in fact, remain connected to cellular data while connected to RC Wifi. It's an option you can set in Settings - if your WiFi doesn't have internet connection, use cellular data.
I have other issues with WiFi though. The Wifi client isn't robust enough, and also it always prefers Wifi connections with internet access. If I happen to be near one which it knows, it would ditch the connection to the RC and connect to that one instead.
That's why I prefer OTG as well, even though it's not officially supported. I find it more robust and trustworthy.
2017-11-16
Use props
m1n1s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 319915 ft
Israel

I have to use OTG cable with my DJI goggles , can you explain why i should not use it with my phone/tablet?

I never had a video problem with the goggles but many issues with wifi to my phone and tablet?

2017-11-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

LOMELI Posted at 2017-11-15 17:38
Is DJI aware of the situation where max altitude / distance values cannot be modified?

If you connect the drone and mobile device via WiFi directly, then the max altitude and distance will be set to 50 and 100 meters and are not able to modify.
2017-11-16
Use props
djiuser_Ul6QCWh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 987710 ft
China

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-11-15 20:27

Hi, when using OTG cable, the return height is limited to 50m.

The max flight altitude looks no problem, but if you enter a number greater than 50m, close the menu. It will return to 50m the next time you open the menu.

App version is v4.1.17(3015). Mobile device is iphone6.

We understand that OTG is not recommended. But this limit didn't happen in former version app.
2017-11-16
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_Ul6QCWh Posted at 2017-11-16 03:13

[view_image]

That may be so on iOS
I can not see such setting on my Droid!
2017-11-16
Use props
Krrisstoff
Captain
Flight distance : 1725610 ft
  • >>>
Poland

In my case, using WIFI is a problem as I have to set the phone (LG G6) in airplane mode so I do not have internet access. From what I see, Dji's support does not fix this problem. Why?
2017-11-16
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

[view_image]

It is a known problem for the current iOS version only. No problems with Android.
2017-11-16
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Krrisstoff Posted at 2017-11-16 08:27
In my case, using WIFI is a problem as I have to set the phone (LG G6) in airplane mode so I do not have internet access. From what I see, Dji's support does not fix this problem. Why?

But you don't need internet. It's even a risk for distracting you from monitoring the flight.
2017-11-16
Use props
LOMELI
Second Officer
Mexico

[view_image]

Same exact issue
2017-11-16
Use props
LOMELI
Second Officer
Mexico

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-16 02:09
If you connect the drone and mobile device via WiFi directly, then the max altitude and distance will be set to 50 and 100 meters and are not able to modify.

I believe you misunderstood, I use a remote controller to fly my drone.

I will make a video of what happens, to show you, in hopes of making this a learning experience we can all benefit from.
2017-11-16
Use props
Micato
Captain
Flight distance : 2057103 ft
Croatia

Hi to all !

In my experience as a videographer and Spark user for a few months I would like to say, use an OTG cable.

I have tried a lot of Android devices some old and some new, 7 or 8 of them and I have never been satisfied with the LAG in the picture even when using an OTG cable.

So I bought old I-pad mini 2 for 150$ and that for me was a GAME CHANGER with an OTG cable connected. The LAG was gone.

My advice to Android users is try to borrow I-pad from a friend and try to fly with an OTG cable.

I do not like APPLE stuff "closed code" etc. but my I-pad mini2 serve the purpose, I am on 5.8GHz allways and I have clear picture up to 170-200 metres,away, wich is enough for me.

Hope it helps.

2017-11-16
Use props
LOMELI
Second Officer
Mexico

I finally got time to make the videos. I could not upload them to the site so I used private videos on YouTube.

After this video I managed to fly up to 500 meters height with the app stating a max flight altitude of 50 m. I'm happy that I am not limited (seems the aircraft takes the command but the app does not), but I wish everything worked as advertised.

HL
2017-11-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules