Power Lines
3365 20 2017-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rwcreigh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 111818 ft

United States

just a simple question, I have a P4 and still new with it. I have not flown over a half mile away from my take off location mostly because or the fear of power lines. does it or will it see the lines and stop?  I feel like it word be a lost drone and one heck of a light show. has anyone had any issues with Power lines?
THX
2017-11-14
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I wouldn't trust it to pick them up. Why not just stay higher than they are?
2017-11-14
Use props
Jim Watkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

It will not see power lines.
2017-11-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

+1

Power lines are not a problem unless you fly into them.  
2017-11-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Fine objects such as tree branches and power lines are difficult to avoid, please keep away from these if applicable.

2017-11-14
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3799423 ft
Australia

With your camera level fly to the same height as them then add 10m to that to be on the safe side, if you always fly at or above this then you will have nothing to worry about, I’ve done this for the highest tree where I live.
Also make note of how far away they are so you can approach with caution and get a visual on them.
Also this height will be in reference to your take off point so you will need to use the same take off point for this method to be accurate.
2017-11-14
Use props
rwcreigh
lvl.4

United States

thanks to all..
2017-11-15
Use props
markdaviesmedia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 464961 ft
United States

Flying beyond visual line of sight is never a good idea if there is any chance of obstacles, IMO.

That said, you could do some research about the standard height for power lines and make sure you are above that.

Good luck.

2017-11-15
Use props
Vendex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

beware of thin objects and power lines and high voltage power lines. It's bad for the compasses and for electrical board of the battery
2017-11-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Vendex Posted at 2017-11-15 11:50
beware of thin objects and power lines and high voltage power lines. It's bad for the compasses and for electrical board of the battery

There is no evidence that flying near high voltage power lines will affect anything on the drone. There is a guy near me who uses a P4P for inspecting power lines all the time, and he is flying very close to 220,000 volt transmission lines. But one thing is for sure, the object avoidance will not see the lines.

2017-11-15
Use props
Vendex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Geebax Posted at 2017-11-15 16:21
There is no evidence that flying near high voltage power lines will affect anything on the drone. There is a guy near me who uses a P4P for inspecting power lines all the time, and he is flying very close to 220,000 volt transmission lines. But one thing is for sure, the object avoidance will not see the lines.

Not good at all, it may become a voltaic arc from 1 or more meters and goodbye phantom 4 pro. He need a drone with thermovision camera to check the weak contacts of power-line cables but whatever ...
2017-11-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

2017-11-16
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I agree with a few others that your phantom will not see those lines, or anything else like them that are as thin as they are. I don't know what the criteria is for the phantom to see things such as tree limbs and such either.
Pretty sure a telephone pole, or something a bit larger it will see. As far as the voltage from those power lines, they shouldn't be a problem. I have flown directly over high voltage lines and around them at a reasonable and never had 1-issue. Just be mindful of how close you are getting to them. Not to repeat, but it is very difficult to see those lines on your tablet. I have come very close a couple times only to realize that I barely escaped disaster just by luck, after viewing the footage I had taken.
2017-11-16
Use props
KavinW1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 553629 ft
United States

markdaviesmedia Posted at 2017-11-15 06:43
Flying beyond visual line of sight is never a good idea if there is any chance of obstacles, IMO.

That said, you could do some research about the standard height for power lines and make sure you are above that.

I don't think there is a "Standard height" for power lines.
2017-11-16
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

Close shave:  I recently had a lucky escape when flying almost 2Kms from Homepoint.  On the tablet display I spotted the PYLON of a 400Kv line dead ahead, just before reception went haywire.  I pulled the yawstick hard left and hit the RTS whilst crossing fingers and toes.   After fully a minute of Angst which anyone reading this will understand,  I heard the re-assuring beep-beep of the homecoming bird.
I attach a frame grab from the video, in which you'll see the pylon and the white dots which are  the line separators - but the 400Kv lines are INVISIBLE even on the 4K video, much less on the tablet screen.
I reckon I escaped with about 50m to spare ( or 2 seconds of flight time)   Take heed!
Close shave.jpg
2017-11-16
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 2017-11-16 12:50
Close shave:  I recently had a lucky escape when flying almost 2Kms from Homepoint.  On the tablet display I spotted the PYLON of a 400Kv line dead ahead, just before reception went haywire.  I pulled the yawstick hard left and hit the RTS whilst crossing fingers and toes.   After fully a minute of Angst which anyone reading this will understand,  I heard the re-assuring beep-beep of the homecoming bird.
I attach a frame grab from the video, in which you'll see the pylon and the white dots which are  the line separators - but the 400Kv lines are INVISIBLE even on the 4K video, much less on the tablet screen.
I reckon I escaped with about 50m to spare ( or 2 seconds of flight time)   Take heed!

Very lucky.
2017-11-16
Use props
Vendex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Blériot53 Posted at 2017-11-16 12:50

These are real high voltage power lines, not these on the video with the old man showing some standard street power lines...
2017-11-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Vendex Posted at 2017-11-16 13:05
These are real high voltage power lines, not these on the video with the old man showing some standard street power lines...

And I said I know of a guy who uses a P4P to inspect 220,000 Volt power lines, are those REAL power lines for you? His aircraft is not affected by transmission lines.
2017-11-16
Use props
Vendex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Geebax Posted at 2017-11-16 15:28
And I said I know of a guy who uses a P4P to inspect 220,000 Volt power lines, are those REAL power lines for you? His aircraft is not affected by transmission lines.

Copy that, excuse me
2017-11-17
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

As you fly, check out the utility poles ahead. As long as you fly a bit higher than the poles you will not hit any power lines. As far as that goes, if you fly a bit higher than anything in front of your drone you will not hit it...unless it can jump!
2017-11-17
Use props
rwcreigh
lvl.4

United States

thanks again everyone.
2017-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules