How To Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck
512 5 2017-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

That's the title of a book by Steve Stockman that I just read.  I recommend it HIGHLY ! ! !  After posting many videos here, I'd decided that perhaps I should find some training in the art of videos.  I ordered this book from Amazon - under $10 - and man, has this been a great investment.   I've kept a word processor open during my reading and have over 20 points that I want to remember as I make my future videos.  After reading this book, I can tell you that I will be changing MUCH in how I shoot and post process my future ones.  If you buy it, I'll bet you will too.  (I have no relationship with the author nor Amazon. I'm doing this just as a member of this forum trying to contribute to us all).
2017-11-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for your recommendation. It would be better show us the footage you've leaned from the book.
Looking forward to more works from you.
2017-11-14
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-14 23:42
Thanks for your recommendation. It would be better show us the footage you've leaned from the book.
Looking forward to more works from you.

Well, there's no single video that is going to use all the things taught in that book.  I can list a few of the 20+ major ideas that I took from it:
Keep nearly all your shots at 10 second or less
Get facial expressions
Zoom with your feet, avoid digital zoom.
Keep lights behind you.
Know your story:  hero, beginning, middle, end.
Use transitions VERY sparingly.  
He did a lot of comparisons between our videos versus real movies / TV shows.  
He pointed out that most scenes there follow the 10 second advice - and we never notice it.
Anyway, as I said, tons of great advise in his book.
2017-11-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-11-15 08:02
Well, there's no single video that is going to use all the things taught in that book.  I can list a few of the 20+ major ideas that I took from it:
Get facial expressions

Great advice indeed, I'm sure they will be useful for video shooting.
2017-11-16
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-11-15 08:02
Get facial expressions

",,,He pointed out that most scenes there follow the 10 second advice - and we never notice it..."

That has nothing to do with shooting video, however -- that's part of the editing process. In fact, you would normally leave several seconds of footage at the front and end of the clip when shooting.
2017-11-18
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
United States

LenMiddx Posted at 2017-11-18 02:24
",,,He pointed out that most scenes there follow the 10 second advice - and we never notice it..."

That has nothing to do with shooting video, however -- that's part of the editing process. In fact, you would normally leave several seconds of footage at the front and end of the clip when shooting.

I guess there's two ways to look at it.  In the past, I've turned on "record" and sometimes let it run for a couple of minutes.  In post, yes, you can break it up into a bunch of smaller ~10 second shots.  But knowing that I'll do that also has me shooting shorter shots as well.  Both are useful techniques.  But, to your point, the book I recommended gives good tips for both shooting and post processing.
2017-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules