How To Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck
858 15 2017-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

That's the title of a book by Steve Stockman that I just read.  I recommend it HIGHLY ! ! !  After posting many videos here, I'd decided that perhaps I should find some training in the art of videos.  I ordered this book from Amazon - under $10 - and man, has this been a great investment.   I've kept a word processor open during my reading and have over 20 points that I want to remember as I make my future videos.  After reading this book, I can tell you that I will be changing MUCH in how I shoot and post process my future ones.  If you buy it, I'll bet you will too.  (I have no relationship with the author nor Amazon. I'm doing this just as a member of this forum trying to contribute to us all).
2017-11-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Stanford,

Mahalo for the Heads-Up!  Sharing resources is what this is all about!  How many pages is it?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-11-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for sharing.
It is on my wishlist
Good to have some gift suggestions for my birthday
2017-11-15
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-11-14 23:35
Aloha Stanford,

Mahalo for the Heads-Up!  Sharing resources is what this is all about!  How many pages is it?

248 pages.
2017-11-15
Use props
Sunny D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70883 ft
  • >>>
United States

Turn those bullet points into a YouTube video and post it here
2017-11-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Practice, increasing your experience. That is the best way to improve your technique.

There are no magic spells or insider tricks. Just flying, recording and then deleting anything not considered a keeper. Make slow turns, and tilt the gimbal slowly as well.

Just like learning a new song on a musical instrument. Practice Makes Perfect.

Reading others tips and suggestions can be helpful, but our circumstances and lighting quality all differ.What I enjoy are seeing the many wonder filled videos on here, from every continent, but Antarctica.

Looking forward to seeing much more from you as well...

RedHotPoker
2017-11-15
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Also available as an iBook in the apple store. Also for those of us who can’t read, which, judging by the amount the DJI user manuals are used, seems to be most of us. It is also available as an Audiobook.
2017-11-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dockater Posted at 2017-11-15 11:28
Also available as an iBook in the apple store. Also for those of us who can’t read, which, judging by the amount the DJI user manuals are used, seems to be most of us. It is also available as an Audiobook.

What, no links?

Why I ought to... Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2017-11-15
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-15 11:33
What, no links?

Why I ought to... Hahaha

Ok RedHotPoker you have just proved you can read, or at least have a good helper. Here is a link

https://www.workman.com/products ... -that-doesnt-suck-1

2017-11-15
Use props
NGF
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174 ft

United Kingdom

All the advice I need has been via this forum. I've learned so much and still learning. All you need to do is search whatever it is that you're looking for. It is here somewhere.
2017-11-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dockater Posted at 2017-11-15 11:41
Ok RedHotPoker you have just proved you can read, or at least have a good helper. Here is a link

https://www.workman.com/products/how-to-shoot-video-that-doesnt-suck-1

Helper? Where are your manners? ;-)
Ok, ok never mind. You speak in Germanic English phrases...

Otherwise, Ah, I pity the fool... Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2017-11-15
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
United States

NGF Posted at 2017-11-15 11:50
All the advice I need has been via this forum. I've learned so much and still learning. All you need to do is search whatever it is that you're looking for. It is here somewhere.

I took a look at your video entitled "Derby Cathedral . . ."  A couple of things that you might have changed if you would read that book I recommended:
1.  The author points out that you rarely - almost never -  see transitions used in real movies, tv shows, viral videos.  I used them a lot, like you do.  But the author is right.  I will only use dissolve and wipe in future - and very sparingly.  Just like the pros.
2.  Again, looking at movies, tv, and great videos:  You rarely see a continuous camera shot that goes more than 10 seconds.  I'd never noticed until I read it in his book, but if you also start watching closely, you'll agree.  
3.  Every video I've loaded here in the past was made with me looking hard at what I thought was really good.  In future, I'll take his advice and think real hard about what my viewers will find good.  I also found that there's a difference.  
There were a couple dozen other great ideas like that in the book.  Now I've been on this forum a lot - and I too have learned much.  But I got more out of that book than I have in all my time here.   Anyway, everyone can of course decide where to find improvement.  For me, the book really added to what I've gained here on the forum.  ;)
2017-11-15
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-11-15 16:27
I took a look at your video entitled "Derby Cathedral . . ."  A couple of things that you might have changed if you would read that book I recommended:
1.  The author points out that you rarely - almost never -  see transitions used in real movies, tv shows, viral videos.  I used them a lot, like you do.  But the author is right.  I will only use dissolve and wipe in future - and very sparingly.  Just like the pros.
2.  Again, looking at movies, tv, and great videos:  You rarely see a continuous camera shot that goes more than 10 seconds.  I'd never noticed until I read it in his book, but if you also start watching closely, you'll agree.  

I need no persuading, I have the book on my iPad following your first post. I think that RedHotPoker might be considering the Audiobook as well.

2017-11-15
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-11-15 16:46
I need no persuading, I have the book on my iPad following your first post. I think that RedHotPoker might be considering the Audiobook as well.

Thanks Dockater.  Now, I've used iMovie for my post work ever since I got into drones. I have a nephew who is a professional videographer, and I asked him whether he'd recommend that I move up a notch to Adobe Final Cut (kinda pricey).  He said that he would suggest that I use a free program called DaVinci Resolve.  So, I downloaded that, and it looks to be MUCH more complex than iMovie.  Guess what I did?  Since I'm done reading "videos that suck", I now have a copy of a book on using DaVinci.  So, in a week or two, you may see another book recommendation from me.  ;)
2017-11-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thanks for your recommendation! I think it needs a lot of patience to read a book. Hope you can keep your passion.
2017-11-18
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the input, I'll check it out. Always eager to see someone else thoughts.
2017-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules