Fail - Phantom 4 Pro + in the ocean - Day one of use
2081 18 2017-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
xxcoopxx
New
Australia

Hi all,

Bought a new Phantom 4 Pro + today, and on my second flight, I believe a had a catastrophic battery failure, which resulted in the drone falling into the water near my jetty. Has this happened to anyone else, or is it even capable of occurring given the number of fail safe options that are part of the drone itself. For clarification, I have a Mavic Pro, hence he user platform is near identical, and I am not a novice flyer, this was definately not a user fault issue.

The battery warning came on and literally within 10 seconds, after it automatically enabled its return to home feature, the drone disconnected and fell into the ocean.

Any help with this would be appreciated, have uploaded a video on YouTube hoping for advice on how to proceed, and more importantly, why this occurred.

Thanks in advance

Dave
2017-11-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Really sorry for your experience. I would recommend you contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support. Please provide the flight record for further analysis. Thanks for your support.
2017-11-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

You could also upload your log to the phantomhelp page and post the link, if you wanted.  The membership could take a look and give opinions.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Sorry for your loss
2017-11-15
Use props
xxcoopxx
New
Australia

Thanks for the comments. Given I am new to this particular drone type, I only just found the flight log as you suggested. It shows exactly what I presumed was the case, the battery pretty much "capitulates"..... loses 15% power within a matter of seconds, return to home mode was set at 20% as we have never travelled any more then 1km from where we are flying
2017-11-15
Use props
LarBear360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63537 ft
United States

So what exactly triggered the RTH? How far out were you? How about wind conditions? Your log would definitely help explain. Upload to phantomhelp and post the link back here.
2017-11-15
Use props
xxcoopxx
New
Australia

Return to home was triggered by the battery reaching 20% mark on the BDI, as we set it to be. For whatever reason, I can't upload the log. I have videoed the footage, and forwarded it to DJI as they have requested. I am actually in the battery business, and have never personally seen a percentage drop of suck magnitude in any given application that I have been involved in. Absolutely the battery at fault for what I can gather. Wind was ok, height was 120metres, and distance from home only 88 metres when this occurred. Sorry I can't shed more light at this time, is there any way I can upload the video to the comments section of this forum ?
2017-11-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

xxcoopxx Posted at 2017-11-15 05:52
Return to home was triggered by the battery reaching 20% mark on the BDI, as we set it to be. For whatever reason, I can't upload the log. I have videoed the footage, and forwarded it to DJI as they have requested. I am actually in the battery business, and have never personally seen a percentage drop of suck magnitude in any given application that I have been involved in. Absolutely the battery at fault for what I can gather. Wind was ok, height was 120metres, and distance from home only 88 metres when this occurred. Sorry I can't shed more light at this time, is there any way I can upload the video to the comments section of this forum ?

You can upload your video on youtube or dropbox and post the link here.
2017-11-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

xxcoopxx Posted at 2017-11-15 05:25
Thanks for the comments. Given I am new to this particular drone type, I only just found the flight log as you suggested. It shows exactly what I presumed was the case, the battery pretty much "capitulates"..... loses 15% power within a matter of seconds, return to home mode was set at 20% as we have never travelled any more then 1km from where we are flying

I'm sorry but I can't find much in what you've said that's any help in determining what went wrong.
Don't waste effort on video, it won't explain what was going on in the Phantom.
Recorded flight data is what's needed.

If you go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet and come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.
2017-11-16
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

When the drone crashed into the water was it 60 feet or less from the controller?
2017-11-16
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Ouch thats an expensive crash, I am sorry that it happened. Like the comments below please post the flight data and hope we can understand what happened.
2017-11-16
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Sorry for your loss, i know the frustration, and can confirm all sorts of random unexplained things happens with this model now and then, speaking from personal experience owning two P4P, and all the previous models.
Where is the link to your video?
Did it drop like a stone, or slowly in a steady phase? Other strange irregular behavior on the way down?
Like other suggested, we can get more info from the log when we see it.
2017-11-16
Use props
andy10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4585692 ft
  • >>>
Slovenia

Was the battery at 100% or something like that at start up?
2017-11-17
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like the battery was not fully locked in. Just a thought
2017-11-17
Use props
JoeQ7583
lvl.1

United States

I had same issue kind of put a fresh battery in took it up and it just shut down. The drone is at DJI getting repaired now and they said it was a total power failure from a manufacturer defect. Good luck
2017-11-17
Use props
CMDP4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 181867 ft

I just had something similar happen: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/PIOTMBXEKTIIK1H56Q5X/  And final video… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP5UcG02DKU Catastrophic failure at 3:46
2019-10-1
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>

99.0% the prop came off.   You can see it when you slow the video down to 0.25 towards the end of 3:46.

Something appears in the bottom middle but then when it starts to rotate at the bottom middle something white, looks like the prop.

2019-10-1
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

That right there is a very good EYE.

I watched and could be......
2019-10-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>

AntDX316 Posted at 10-1 19:21
99.0% the prop came off.   You can see it when you slow the video down to 0.25 towards the end of 3:46.

Something appears in the bottom middle but then when it starts to rotate at the bottom middle something white, looks like the prop.

Inclined to agree, having watched it over and over at that point, i can see, for the most part, a complete prop, the distinct definition of the shape of the v2 prop is shown and sad to say, it appears to be the full complete prop therefore its unlikely to be a manufacturing issue but a pilot error, namely not triple checking the props fitment (been there myself, never again), one sure way is to make sure the gap underneath between roto hub and motor is the exact same, another way is to physically to to remove the prop without any pushing down, another is to push down unlock and lock again paying attention to the return springing back at your fingers, not spring back means not seated properly, a bit late for you now but i do a combination of all the methods with 2-3 tries with the trying to remove without pushing down, once when first attached, another when pick it up to place on the mat, another when i start talking and not concentrating lol and 1 more when its on the mat, again, no help to you now good to know when you get ya next one..
2019-10-3
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

Bashy,  good work flow.   Distractions mean skipped steps in the work flow.

Props checks are critical to flying without incident.   As is battery seating, Gps, sensors, HD etc.....

Randy
2019-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules