Gimbal noise
1800 9 2017-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Confuso
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Morning,

Received my Mavic Pro yesterday and during sensor calibration I noticed that, when held in a vertical position with the nose pointing upward, the gimbal make an unhealthy rattling noise.  I'm wondering if this is an issue or something that is to be expected

I have seen a reference to gimbal noise on start-up but not during calibration.

i would appreciate any help on this.

Regards

Barry
2017-11-15
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

What sensor calibration were you doing. if doing compass calibration, then you should be pointing the nose down and during compass calibration, the camera should be moving around. Yes, at startup the gimbal does move around a lot which is normal, might make a little noise, which is normal. Would make more noise if you have a bad filter installed. I think the problem was pointing it up.
2017-11-15
Use props
Confuso
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Locoman Posted at 2017-11-15 07:39
What sensor calibration were you doing. if doing compass calibration, then you should be pointing the nose down and during compass calibration, the camera should be moving around. Yes, at startup the gimbal does move around a lot which is normal, might make a little noise, which is normal. Would make more noise if you have a bad filter installed. I think the problem was pointing it up.

Thanks for the response

I was doing the downward  sensor calibration following the instructions in Assistant 2.  You have to hold the drove vertically pointing upwards

Thanks
2017-11-15
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

Confuso Posted at 2017-11-15 08:41
Thanks for the response

I was doing the downward  sensor calibration following the instructions in Assistant 2.  You have to hold the drove vertically pointing upwards

You're supposed to point the drone downward - with the camera end of the drone down.
2017-11-15
Use props
Confuso
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks but I was simply following the Assistant 2 instructions which shows the drone held vertically camera up
2017-11-15
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

Confuso Posted at 2017-11-15 10:44
[view_image]

Thanks but I was simply following the Assistant 2 instructions which shows the drone held vertically camera up

Apologies!! I misread what you said and thought you were talking about the GPS calibration...
2017-11-15
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Normally you would start the Mavic on a level surface before commencing the calibration and the gimbal shouldn't move after that. Did the Mavic restart during the calibration?
2017-11-15
Use props
Confuso
lvl.1
United Kingdom

No, didn't restart.  I did the calibration again and have found whenever I hold the drone vertically (nose up) the gimbal vibrates noisily.  Obviously it would never be in this position during normal operation (hopefully anyway) so maybe it is nothing to worry about.  Just concerned it might be a portent of future problems.
2017-11-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is caused by the gimbal slightly touching the vent to the front of the drone directly behind the gimbal when held vertically. It may also happen when doing the IMU calibration and you have to place the drone in a vertical position as one of the positions. If you literally touch the underneath of the gimbal the vibration stops instantly and it won't impact on either calibration.  The gimbal should perform perfectly in level flight. You can try refreshing the firmware using Assistant 2 and/or calibrating the gimbal itself afterward and this may help. That said, it is a minor physical defect which you can either live with or return to DJI for repair/replacement but to be honest, if that is your only issue with the drone then I'd keep it and just fly it as it won't cause any problems.
2017-11-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

There might be a slight gimbal noise when you hold the drone vertically, if you are worried about it, you can also make a short video with audio for us to check.
2017-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules