Who here used to fly RC Aircraft ?
854 6 2017-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

Hi Guys

Just wondering who here used to (or still do) fly RC aircraft (planes / helis)

I used to fly both years ago, but stopped after kids, this was my first foray back into it.

The improvements over the last 10 years is amazing, the stability of the spark amazes me.    Thankfully the spark flies the same as a heli, but a hell of lot easier.

2017-11-15
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

I am a heli flyer during many years.
Please don’t compare the spark to a heli. A heli flies so much better.
The only thing the spark does better is holding a camera steady.
2017-11-15
Use props
Zbig
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349 ft
Poland

I've played with RC helis for a brief time few years ago. First co-axials, then micro-sized 4-channel Walkera (FP) for flying indoors. Then got Honey Bee King 3 (6ch, CP) and promptly crash-landed it in some bushes after the slightest of wind gusts. I agree the technological advancement in electronics-aided stability is tremendous. With Spark, I feel more like I'm just another input for the autopilot than anything (and that, indeed, is the case). If it was a cheesy aviation analogies time, I'd say an RC heli is like flying Extra 300 while Spark is like programming Airbus' autopilot with knobs and buttons. The downside (at least for me) is that DJI products became so available to everyone that many people expect them to be a flying iPhone: "just work" no matter how silly their actions are. With RC helis, on the other hand, there was more "natural selection", so to speak.
2017-11-15
Use props
Arnor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

I had a micro heli a few years ago...but switched to RC car racing during my student time :-)
2017-11-15
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I used to fly both on and off over the years.  Here's a pic of my 1st RC heli, a Kavan Jet Ranger with a massive 5 ft 3 in (1.6 m) main rotor.  No gyros and mechanical control mixing operated by an analog 5 channal radio.  Take-off weight 11.25 lbs (~4.5 kg) Circa 1976.

Kavan.JPG
2017-11-15
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

So a lot of heli flyers here then.   

An RC Heli is a different beast, but in sport mode it's pretty comparable (minus the ability to flip, invert, 3D..etc).    I just feel more relaxed with the spark.  With a heli, if you're not flying it, you're crashing it.  With the spark, you get into trouble, let go of the sticks.  lol

2017-11-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

I would recommend you fly with app as it will record flight records and have message reminding you the current situation.
2017-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules