Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 / Battery Cell Error
13863 65 2017-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc49dce13
lvl.1
United States

So no one has a solution other than just replacing the battery? Wow.
2018-2-26
Use props
kineticnz
New
Flight distance : 1552 ft
New Zealand

I'm adding to the thread here. I have an un-useable set of batteries. Paired since day dot. Unusable since just after the warranty expired due to what was a very small voltage deviation. Only got 16 cycles out of them. My reckoning is it cost me about $2/min to fly that pair of batteries. I have serious doubts that any of them will ever see 200 cycles.
2018-2-26
Use props
JoeCec
First Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

If I can put my .02 cents in. I had the same issue where my battery was out of spec and would not take off. I believe I discovered my issue that caused this as I was charging batteries in anticipation for a shoot and at the first sign of a full charge, I pulled the batteries off the charger. I don't believe the batteries were given time to properly balance causing the #2 cell of the #2 battery to be out by .14 of a volt. I discovered this error on the shoot so that was disappointing but once I returned home I left the I2 on for a while until the cells depleted enough to come back into tolerance. I then threw them on the charger and let them fully charge and balance. Seemed to fix the issue for the time being at least.
2018-3-2
Use props
djiuser_fiQgdFqHaUQg
lvl.4

Philippines

You can still fly the inspire 2 since the other battery will keep going.
2018-3-2
Use props
davevonfintel
United States

Back to a question asked earlier ... how do you tell which is Battery 1 and Battery 2? I have the same issue which happened before but only want to replace the bad battery.
2018-4-2
Use props
Barry Goyette
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

davevonfintel Posted at 2018-4-2 12:50
Back to a question asked earlier ... how do you tell which is Battery 1 and Battery 2? I have the same issue which happened before but only want to replace the bad battery.

battery 2 is on the left, battery 1 is on the right. Just like the SD card goes in label side down. :-)
2018-4-2
Use props
patou72
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3316614 ft

To make it short i had the same experience with a battery with only 16 cycles. As a lot of you i bought another set of batteries for safety reasons.

It seems to me that instead of the inspire 1 there are a lot of problems with the balancing of the cells for the Inspire 2 and DJI should take the time to resolve this problems...

2018-4-2
Use props
Airpixel Studio
lvl.3
United Arab Emirates

Guys I just saw another thread where DJI reps say that this is a firmware issue to be fixed in a future release. I had the same issue which I posted in this thread and tried discharging down to 5% but this seems to have bricked the battery entirely
2018-4-5
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

GerryPacher Posted at 2017-11-20 04:39
Hi RichJ53 - well -  you are right and I ordered a replacement already. I don't wanna risk my I2. I was just a bit irritated that this cell voltage deviation occurred so early. 34 loading cycle aren't that much and I do never ever store the battery fully charged.

Thank you for your kind offer but I think the expenses for shipping (live in Switzerland) isn't worth it.

Gerry

Florida Drone Supply sent me 2 batteries. I fixed the first one by taking the case apart and using my harness to connect directly to the cell post. This battery had 3 cells that were out of balance. see my screenshots. I will have a video showing my process soon.  I have not taken the other battery apart yet. Getting the battery case apart without damage is very hard; but doable.
Rich

IMG_9769.jpg IMG_9985.jpg IMG_9986.jpg IMG_9999.PNG
2018-4-5
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1998786 ft
United Kingdom

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-4-5 20:24
Gerry

Florida Drone Supply sent me 2 batteries. I fixed the first one by taking the case apart and using my harness to connect directly to the cell post. This battery had 3 cells that were out of balance. see my screenshots. I will have a video showing my process soon.  I have not taken the other battery apart yet. Getting the battery case apart without damage is very hard; but doable.

Impressive stuff. No way I'm going to attempt that but it proves that the hardware wasn't irrepairable.
2018-4-6
Use props
epicjib
First Officer
Flight distance : 3016060 ft
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-4-5 20:24
Gerry

Florida Drone Supply sent me 2 batteries. I fixed the first one by taking the case apart and using my harness to connect directly to the cell post. This battery had 3 cells that were out of balance. see my screenshots. I will have a video showing my process soon.  I have not taken the other battery apart yet. Getting the battery case apart without damage is very hard; but doable.

That IR seems high?
2018-4-6
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

IR will change depending on the rate of charge (current) and as the cells heat up; i.e. higher resistance.

Actually, the IR is all pretty close between the cells. The way I look at IR, is the resistance of all the cells should be similar, not the number. Yes, some of the high quality LiPo packs have matched cells of very low IR. But, DJI batteries are not at this level of quality ((IMO))

Hope you are doing well and enjoying your Inspire 2.

Rich
2018-4-6
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fansdb6ff1f7 Posted at 2018-4-6 02:07
Impressive stuff. No way I'm going to attempt that but it proves that the hardware wasn't irrepairable.

Thank you!
to be honest, the first time was very hard (PIB) I learned a lot and the battery was in very good shape. I will be posting a video on Youtube for others to see the battery information.

Rich
2018-4-6
Use props
Rocky.P
Flight distance : 7507 ft
Malaysia

I have the same problem, any idea to fix? its my Inspire 2
2018-4-15
Use props
Nods
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Another Frustrated Inspire 2 owner here.
I updated the firmware on my I2 and now two sets of paired (since purchase) batteries have gone out of balance and show different charge cycles (8 & 11) they are just out of warranty and I am furious.  This is incredibly frustrating.  When I first bought the I2 and updated the firmware it grounded the drone.  It took months to be diagnosed and eventually had to be sent back.  Now this.  It is incredibly frustrating especially as it seems to be another Firmware upgrade glitch.  Any solution @DJI? @Mindy?

2018-4-17
Use props
Swooper6
lvl.1
Canada

Hi all,

Having used lithium batteries for many years I can say cell balancing is definitely not something to take lightly. It was a good surprise to read that DJI safety features won't even allow takeoff with a far out of balance cell.

At full voltage, a deviated cell of 4.1v from a full 4.2v or DJI's specified 4.25v is very far out. Once discharged, this cell may greatly deviate from the others and could go far enough as to catch fire/smoke. Once one cell differs by about 0.05v from others, I would start to get nervous.

Another thing I was surprised about was how DJI includes a 4-batt parallel charger with this machine. From years of experience in the Heli world, parallel charging is a great time saver, but a battery shouldn't spend it's whole life through parallel charging. The more a LiPo is parallel charged the more easily cells will differ from each other and come unbalanced. The general rule I have always told and heard from fellow pilots is to charge batteries one at a time for every 5-10 parallel charges.

If you pay attention to your cell voltages before and after a flight to see how well the battery holds up you can use your judgement to charge singular more or less often.

By doing so, your balancer will have more authority to balance each cell. 6s lithium batteries are NOT something to take lightly, lithium in general can be very dangerous if mistreated and 6s is a lot of power in a small package.
2018-4-17
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 150932 ft

Swooper6 Posted at 2018-4-17 07:13
Hi all,

Having used lithium batteries for many years I can say cell balancing is definitely not something to take lightly. It was a good surprise to read that DJI safety features won't even allow takeoff with a far out of balance cell.

So, are you recommending we mix and match the batteries in the battery station slots instead of always charging them together?And, FWIW, I'm told the FW update will be coming this week.
2018-4-17
Use props
Swooper6
lvl.1
Canada

AvatarAir Posted at 2018-4-17 07:57
So, are you recommending we mix and match the batteries in the battery station slots instead of always charging them together?And, FWIW, I'm told the FW update will be coming this week.

AvatarAir, I am sorry I do not understand what you mean by mix and matching the batteries.

I am no DJI rep, and am new to the inspire 2 but from reviewing MANY posts about battery issues on this machine from balancing, I am lead to believe parallel charging is not helping.

In the heli world, and RC in general cells dropping voltage after long-term parallel charging was common. Cycling one battery at a time usually corrected this.

That being said, I am curious to see if DJI will chime in on this. Their charger does not convey any data towards the user besides charge state and we cannot tell if their parallel charging process is the same as a typical RC hobbyist setup.
2018-4-17
Use props
Second Officer

Swooper6 Posted at 2018-4-17 09:56
AvatarAir, I am sorry I do not understand what you mean by mix and matching the batteries.

I am no DJI rep, and am new to the inspire 2 but from reviewing MANY posts about battery issues on this machine from balancing, I am lead to believe parallel charging is not helping.

In the battery station there are matched slots the batteries go in. So, all my sets are labeled like 'A', or 'B', and so on, and the dual battery compartments are labeled A thru D. The display shows a lot of info about them. What I meant was mixing an 'A' battery with differently matched battery. So, charging a 'A' and 'C' battery, for instance.
2018-4-17
Use props
Swooper6
lvl.1

AvatarAir Posted at 2018-4-17 13:40
In the battery station there are matched slots the batteries go in. So, all my sets are labeled like 'A', or 'B', and so on, and the dual battery compartments are labeled A thru D. The display shows a lot of info about them. What I meant was mixing an 'A' battery with differently matched battery. So, charging a 'A' and 'C' battery, for instance.

Unfortunately, I do not have the battery station for the Inspire 2, only the stock 4-port charger and cannot share my opinion there. Apologies for the confusion on my part.

I was unaware of that setup until you mentioned it though... very interesting may have to order one.

Hopefully, this FW update arrives this week and fixes these cell balancing issues.
2018-4-17
Use props
Second Officer
United States

Swooper6 Posted at 2018-4-17 17:07
Unfortunately, I do not have the battery station for the Inspire 2, only the stock 4-port charger and cannot share my opinion there. Apologies for the confusion on my part.

I was unaware of that setup until you mentioned it though... very interesting may have to order one.

I'm told the FW Update will drop this week. We'll see.
2018-4-17
Use props
RockyP

I have the same problem, Gerry
2018-4-23
Use props
RockyP
Malaysia

I have the same problem, Gerry
2018-4-23
Use props
RockyP
Malaysia

I have the same problem, but no response for DJI, it's been 2 weeks
2018-4-23
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Swooper6 Posted at 2018-4-17 07:13
Hi all,

I disagree with your assessment.

Respectfully:
1]]  The battery management system (intelligent circuit is built into the battery) in addition,  charging circuit is also built into the battery and the user has no control at all. It appears   that, once these batteries are over 140mV out of balance, the DJI Intelligent battery circuit cannot correct the problem.  Some think this happened on the last battery FW version 1.0.58 that was included in the total FW package.  

DJI has released a new FW version which will have the DJI battery circuit self balance the cells. However, it is to soon to say if the severely out of balance packs can be rescued...  New battery FW version is 1.0.65

2]]  The DJI  4 port charging hub is nothing more than a smart power supply that talks to the battery management system. So you can plug your batteries onto the hub and it will see which packs are paired together and try to monitor them. It doesn't matter which pack is plugged into slot 1,2,3,4  it will read the IA information.

By the way only two batteries can charge at one time. This is based on the amount of remaining charge on the batteries and start the highest charge level batteries first. then it will switch to the next set of batteries. Each battery monitors the charging process (built into the battery) and only uses the hub as the power supply.

So you cannot compare this to a normal LiPo charger system.

Any multi chemistry battery chargers can charge, discharge, storage and balance hobby batteries. Normal hobby batteries have a set of power leads on one connector and the balance port connector (determined by the number of cells)  The charging mode and parameters are set up by the user and can be a number of tasks, i.e.  normal or fast charge, balance or storage.   

If you use a Parraboard to charge multiple batteries, the batteries must all be pretty close to the same voltage and state of charge. The power leads are plugged into the board along with the cell balance connectors. The charger only see's one bigger sized battery (not individual packs) and the charging parameters are set by the user.   

So with all this said, DJI wants to keep their drone batteries more user friendly and simple. So no user control over the batteries and rely on FW updates when needed,  or buy new ones when they don't work.  Less liability and hopefully better information to the pilot when the batteries are not working correctly.

For those serious Inspire 2 owners, check out the new DJI Battery Station, it is awesome  but expensive too.

https://www.dji.com/tb50-battery ... ndsite&from=nav

Hope this helps
Rich
2018-4-23
Use props
Graphite
lvl.1
Flight distance : 629642 ft

Hello, i have diferent kind of issue, i have 3 set of baterry, and sudenly on of the pairs is having a strange issue, they charge, normally, i put them on the drone take off and all the cells are balanced, after a little wilhe one of the baterry disconnects, staying with only one led turned on, i got a message of N/A on the app, i land with a solid red on inspire2, if i put them on the charger that specific battery, is like if was completly discharged... i alredy order onether set, is there anyway to solve this issue? they have 85cycles... thanks
2019-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules