Compass error - cause?
1593 15 2017-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StarFishUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54970 ft
United Kingdom

I have only had one instance where I received a compass error causing the Spark to go into Atti mode (and leg it away from me like a greased otter). I have spent a lot of time thinking about what might have caused this. I could just have been a random a thing, but at the time I received the rror my neighbour was mowing his lawn with a perol engine lawn mower - about 25 feet away from the Spark.

Could a noisy, clattery, unshielded petrol engine cause compass interference at that range?

2017-8-26
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I would not say that it can not.
I had compass errors only because I dit put the spark for start on a conrete garden table.
Lifting it 10 cm, the compass was fine again.
This little AC is very sensitive,methinks!
2017-8-26
Use props
fans78376957
lvl.3
United States

Too close to a metal object during take off triggers my compass error alert.
2017-8-26
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

It doesn't take much. I bought a folding card table to get up out of the grass and away from the dogs and I get a compass error on it. The only thing metal in it are the legs.
2017-8-26
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had placed a craft on a cooler, which happened to be filled with some old stereo equipment instead of ice and drinks.  That equipment included some speakers (which have magnets).  That little bit of metal, and just a couple of speakers, and that caused the craft to go haywire.
2017-8-26
Use props
Hankmeister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19465 ft
United States

Normally I'm in Ventura, Ca. and every thing was oky, but went to St Louis for the eclipse and started to get compass error and gps drop out and go atti mode. dji go4 app indicated all was normal but was stiil getting the error on and off. I did compass calibration many times and after three days of this stuff, it started to function normally. Back in Calf things are still normal but my confidence is way low, hopefully I can go higher and farther and get confidence in Spark again.

I am trying to determine how to get the log print out that shows those drop put errors, any help on that?
2017-8-26
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hankmeister Posted at 2017-8-26 11:26
Normally I'm in Ventura, Ca. and every thing was oky, but went to St Louis for the eclipse and started to get compass error and gps drop out and go atti mode. dji go4 app indicated all was normal but was stiil getting the error on and off. I did compass calibration many times and after three days of this stuff, it started to function normally. Back in Calf things are still normal but my confidence is way low, hopefully I can go higher and farther and get confidence in Spark again.

I am trying to determine how to get the log print out that shows those drop put errors, any help on that?

If I understand the question, I think this is the answer:

2017-8-26
Use props
HomePoint
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have two screws in both my ankles and both hips replaced, my Spark doesn't seem to care
2017-8-26
Use props
Hankmeister
lvl.2
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-26 11:33
If I understand the question, I think this is the answer:

https://youtu.be/ngEHdAlAh9A

still having problems. it is something like "phantom help log viewer"

or
DJI/dji.go.v4/FlightRecord

example...not mine
http://phantomhelp.com/logviewer/SVWEOO40N6P4NDOQ83DI/
2017-8-26
Use props
Hankmeister
lvl.2
United States

Hankmeister Posted at 2017-8-26 14:21
still having problems. it is something like "phantom help log viewer"

or

I found the log viewer
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

my log showing error.......not much help in finding why the errors
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5JNW1CVI0UGM01F8LR40/
2017-8-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would recommend you to fly away from interference such as buildings, trees, hills, magnetic interference and etc. Calibrating compass might be helpful before take-off.
2017-9-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hankmeister Posted at 2017-8-26 15:07
I found the log viewer
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Please refer the tutorial video of 7# and export the data for analysis, thanks!
2017-9-3
Use props
StarFishUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Yaw Error / ATTI Mode - What am I doing wrong?

I had another switch to ATTI mode today. I have attached the logs - which if nothing else, show that I was nowhere near any electromagnetic interference. If you can't fly safely in a place like this then we have to face facts - you can't fly safely anywhere. Prior to it going into ATTI mode I noticed it was "drifting" to the West (as you can see on the logs) - I've no idea why it was doing this.

I was able to fly safely and brought it in to land, although it regained GPS mode quite quickly anyway. But what am I doing wrong? What steps can I take to stop this happening? Should I calibrate the compas more often? This is now the third time this has happened and I'm getting really nervous to fly at all. I've kind of lost confidence in the device.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/SFDGP8L2NQ66OY5T9NUK/

2017-11-15
Use props
StarFishUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-3 22:24
I would recommend you to fly away from interference such as buildings, trees, hills, magnetic interference and etc. Calibrating compass might be helpful before take-off.

Thanks for this response. But hills, seriously?? How do hills cause interference? I'm starting to wonder if there is anything that doesn't cause interference. Even living in a very rural part of Scotland it is difficult finding anywhere regarded as safe to fly.

I will certainly take you advice about calibrating the compass before take-off.
2017-11-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

StarFishUK Posted at 2017-11-15 23:52
Thanks for this response. But hills, seriously?? How do hills cause interference? I'm starting to wonder if there is anything that doesn't cause interference. Even living in a very rural part of Scotland it is difficult finding anywhere regarded as safe to fly.

I will certainly take you advice about calibrating the compass before take-off.

Ha, you got me... I mean the high mountain that the signal can be easily shielded. I'll attach the video for your reference.

2017-11-21
Use props
StarFishUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-11-21 02:46
Ha, you got me... I mean the high mountain that the signal can be easily shielded. I'll attach the video for your reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Zf90zR378&feature=youtu.be

Now I understand. Thanks Susan.
2017-11-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules