I2 skied during low battery RTH
986 24 2017-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
klickdavis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23724 ft
United States

The old saying " Its not if but when" applied to my shoot today.
Was doing low altitude "dolly" shots from a walking path in woods of automobile  passing by on road thru the trees.

Had done 3 -75 foot runs at 10 ft high and was in air waiting for car and another take..... Tripod mode, OA off with 25% on battery (started @100%)
All very fine, car is taking awhile to roll back down the road for my last shot before landing and changing batteries. Warning comes on screen@ 22%,
followed by Low Batt RTD message.  I decide to land right here (by hand, not auto).
When I touched the sticks to decend (from 10 ft and battery @ 18%) the I2 rapidly took off straight up into overhanging branches trees.
Glad those trees were there cause I'm sure it would have been a flyaway. As it was going I hit the sticks  to \ / but that did nothing, no time for
stick/ button combo. Batteries still show 1 light. Last clip was not saved to SSD (rats.... would have been interesting to look at "incident" from Skippy's POV

Damage: three props, starboard motor spar twisted in outrigger housing, gimbal mount torn up and X5S gimbal arm snapped.   Ego...dinged
Will be going back to DJY for this and an unresolved CineSSD issue.

Anyone have any thoughts on this??
Thanks
Rick

2017-11-15
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Hi Rick,

What height did you have the RTH set at?  If the bird is lower than this set altitude it will go straight up when the RTH is triggered. Was the home point set correctly? From what you have told us, It sounds like it did exactly what it was supposed to.
If you intend taking your failsafe to the limit, as you say "it's not if but when". Learn what you will from this incident and be grateful nobody was hurt.

Safe flying dude.

Mark G.
2017-11-15
Use props
klickdavis
lvl.2
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-11-15 12:20
Hi Rick,

What height did you have the RTH set at?  If the bird is lower than this set altitude it will go straight up when the RTH is triggered. Was the home point set correctly? From what you have told us, It sounds like it did exactly what it was supposed to.

Hi Mark,
Did not set RTH on this flight as it was under 10 feet and 75ft in one direction and back.
No need in my estimation.
Still had 18% on battery, surely enough to land the thing...which I tried to do.

2017-11-15
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

klickdavis Posted at 2017-11-15 12:59
Hi Mark,
Did not set RTH on this flight as it was under 10 feet and 75ft in one direction and back.
No need in my estimation.

Seems a bit odd then.
2017-11-15
Use props
Blackwood
lvl.4

United States

Once it goes into RTH, you have to switch from P mode to A mode and back again to cancel out the RTH.  I've had this happen more than once with my old Phantom 2 and once with the Inspire 2 but I was ready for it.  Being prepared for this situation was part of the training I went through at DLSR Pros when we bought the Phantom a few years ago.  The instructors intentionally used low batteries to induce the situation and the students had to be able to regain control.
2017-11-15
Use props
klickdavis
lvl.2
United States

HeyO................ Just went and checked. Fired up the broken thing, limping but FOV works.
My emergency RTH was set at 30m... ok        I had obstacle avoidance off so I could fly down an
narrow path with trees on both side (yeah I know)   SO, in fact the eRTH worked as designed.
But pilot was trying to "save it" and still feel manual override @ 18% should have been doable.
Tricky stuff this UAV cinematography. Will acquire wisdom. ( btw I'm part 107 cert, safe the thing)
2017-11-15
Use props
klickdavis
lvl.2
United States

Blackwood Posted at 2017-11-15 13:21
Once it goes into RTH, you have to switch from P mode to A mode and back again to cancel out the RTH.  I've had this happen more than once with my old Phantom 2 and once with the Inspire 2 but I was ready for it.  Being prepared for this situation was part of the training I went through at DLSR Pros when we bought the Phantom a few years ago.  The instructors intentionally used low batteries to induce the situation and the students had to be able to regain control.

Blackwood, So quick finger move on little stubbie switch to A and back to P gets you in control again.
Gotta play more video games.
Think I'll go back to my old 30% rule when I fly low and slow. Thanks
2017-11-15
Use props
Blackwood
lvl.4

United States

klickdavis Posted at 2017-11-15 15:07
Blackwood, So quick finger move on little stubbie switch to A and back to P gets you in control again.
Gotta play more video games.
Think I'll go back to my old 30% rule when I fly low and slow. Thanks

Pretty much.  It's been a long time since I've had to do it, so I don't remember if just switching to Sport mode will do it or if you have to go all the way to ATTI and then back.  It all happens so quick.
2017-11-15
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

When the drone is in RTH mode, my understanding is to cancel it on the app when it pops up and says it is in RTH mode. Never heard of switching from P to A and back? Got to try it at home.
2017-11-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

klickdavis, sorry to read about your crash accident, my thought is the same as Mark's post in 2#, the drone may trigger RTH during landing.
Our team will check the logs to make it clear for you, please send in at your most convenience.
If you need any further assistance during this process, please let me know.
2017-11-15
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-11-15 12:20
Hi Rick,

I agree Mark
2017-11-16
Use props
klickdavis
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-15 20:02
klickdavis, sorry to read about your crash accident, my thought is the same as Mark's post in 2#, the drone may trigger RTH during landing.
Our team will check the logs to make it clear for you, please send in at your most convenience.
If you need any further assistance during this process, please let me know.

Hi Mindy,
Will be sending crashed UAV in for repair, Case#-...CAS-1233885-W2Q6W5.
Also need to address problem (still) with CineSSD .... got new card from DJI but
still no go for format and recording

Was able to upload log.got invalid info message.
Tried phone # with and w/o country code
Here is screen shot

Thanks ...Rick
2017-11-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

klickdavis Posted at 2017-11-20 08:34
Hi Mindy,
Will be sending crashed UAV in for repair, Case#-...CAS-1233885-W2Q6W5.
Also need to address problem (still) with CineSSD .... got new card from DJI but

Please send in the aircraft and SSD card directly once you get the shipping label, our team will help to export the log for analysis, thank you.
2017-11-21
Use props
klickdavis
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-21 02:49
Please send in the aircraft and SSD card directly once you get the shipping label, our team will help to export the log for analysis, thank you.

Mindy,
Ooooops! Too late. Shipped inspire2, Zenmuse 5XS (no lens) and controller to Cerritos CA yesterday.
Did not leave card in bird..........
I have downloaded logs to my pc though ...will that help?
Or shall I send SSDcard by us Mail/FedX... and to who.

Also the CineSSD issue is still unresolved. We had conversation and I sent in my card and DJI replaced it with new but same problem.... can not record or format card (240gb)
over to you
thanks
Rick
2017-11-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

klickdavis Posted at 2017-11-21 06:19
Mindy,
Ooooops! Too late. Shipped inspire2, Zenmuse 5XS (no lens) and controller to Cerritos CA yesterday.

Rick, have you described clearly about the SSD card issue? Hope local repair team will find out the reason.
Please leave me with the case number, I will leavea message in the case. Thank you.
2017-11-23
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

klickdavis Posted at 2017-11-21 06:19
Mindy,

Sorry to hear but I doubt you'll get any joy about the lost clip on the SSD. Did you try reviewing the footage on the Go4 App?
2017-11-23
Use props
klickdavis
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-23 05:05
Rick, have you described clearly about the SSD card issue? Hope local repair team will find out the reason.
Please leave me with the case number, I will leavea message in the case. Thank you.

Mindy,
The CineSSD issue  was discussed between you and I a few months back and I did send it in for
a check( the SSD) and I received a new one within comment. Tried to record / format to new one
but would not do either. So I need to have team to review that problem on with the I2. Here is case#
Case Number: CAS-1233885-W2Q6W5. T
Thanks for checking in on this for me.
best
Rick
2017-11-23
Use props
klickdavis
lvl.2
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-11-23 06:29
Sorry to hear but I doubt you'll get any joy about the lost clip on the SSD. Did you try reviewing the footage on the Go4 App?

Hi Mike,
Actually I did review the footage beautiful dolly shot thru trees of client  vehicle.
The last few seconds show I2/camera very stable, waiting for return of truck then
it levitates UP and into beech trees and leaves. and,,..........."cut"
Should be a sticky bout RTH skying
best
Rick
2017-11-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

klickdavis Posted at 2017-11-23 09:54
Mindy,
The CineSSD issue  was discussed between you and I a few months back and I did send it in for
a check( the SSD) and I received a new one within comment. Tried to record / format to new one

I remember, I cannot find the previous case number with your email address in the new case, would you please post that one as well?
I would like to check more details about the previous SSD card, thank you.
2017-11-24
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

klickdavis Posted at 2017-11-23 10:00
Hi Mike,
Actually I did review the footage beautiful dolly shot thru trees of client  vehicle.
The last few seconds show I2/camera very stable, waiting for return of truck then
Hi Rick,
So you did have that some part of that footage saved.

What happened to you occured to me over a year ago with an Inspire 1. Fortunately, there was no damage to the craft but I never forgot the panic of seeing the craft go up and was slow in responding appropriately. .... It was quite something to bring the craft down from the tree but that's another tale for another day....
2017-11-24
Use props
klickdavis
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-24 00:33
I remember, I cannot find the previous case number with your email address in the new case, would you please post that one as well?
I would like to check more details about the previous SSD card, thank you.

Mindy,
Do not have records from CineSSD return.
my phone is 484-356-5394
Here is forum link to that conversation.....https://forum.dji.com/thread-109089-1-1.html
Thanks
Rick
2017-11-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

klickdavis Posted at 2017-11-27 05:50
Mindy,
Do not have records from CineSSD return.
my phone is 484-356-5394

I know, DJI Elektra suggested to send in for further diagnosis, but didn't get your case number.
No worries, I have left a message in the case, the team will look into the SSD card.
2017-11-27
Use props
klickdavis
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-27 23:39
I know, DJI Elektra suggested to send in for further diagnosis, but didn't get your case number.
No worries, I have left a message in the case, the team will look into the SSD card.

Nice Catch Mindy... Electra did step in at the end of issue.
Most appreciated....
Hope I didn't break everything!!!!!!!
Rick
2017-11-28
Use props
klickdavis
lvl.2
United States

klickdavis Posted at 2017-11-28 15:27
Nice Catch Mindy... Electra did step in at the end of issue.
Most appreciated....
Hope I didn't break everything!!!!!!!

Mindy/Electra

Got my I2 back from crash repair. Great job, reasonable price, nice informative friendly techs and got back to me a day early!!! The CineSSD is working fine. But FOV camera is / angled and does not return to dead flat. Need to do firmware updates,calibrate etc.... hopefully it will fix itself.
Thanks for your help!!
Rick
2017-12-13
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

It is clear that DJI will not be able to meet your expectation in delivering repair service. From what I heard on the forum, a lot of business users has a second bird for emergency back up. It may be something to consider.
2017-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules