Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
PS3 travels in one direction in ATTI mode with no controller input.
764 13 2017-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NuminousD
lvl.1
United States

Hello,

I replaced my Rear Left motor in my PS3, and now the drone flies diagonally towards the Front Right while in ATTI mode, with no controller input. I'm not talking slight drifting either.. it flies in that direction and won't stop unless I correct it. This is only in ATTI mode. in GPS mode it seems to hold position OK.  IMU and Compass were calibrated and I am not getting any errors. I am flying in an open field, no interference.

Does anyone know why this is happeneing and how to fix? Could it be that ESC needs to be calibrated? Perhaps the tilt of the new motor is wrong?

Thank you.
2017-11-15
Use props
TXBiker63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 253 ft

United States

ATTI is with the band aids off basically. Your in control of the quad and have to fly it. Put it back in P mode.
2017-11-15
Use props
NuminousD
lvl.1
United States

TXBiker63 Posted at 2017-11-15 16:41
ATTI is with the band aids off basically. Your in control of the quad and have to fly it. Put it back in P mode.

I am trained to fly it in ATTI mode, so I do know how to control it well. For true smooth cinematic motion, the pros use ATTI mode. The problem is that once I replaced the motor, the drone now travels in that particular direction. It didn't happen before the motor replacement.
2017-11-15
Use props
Dockater
First Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

If it is travelling in the direction of the new motor, then, either the the motor is lagging (not turning freely) or as you suggest it is not mounted true. Check the motor seat, the screws etc. If the problem was elsewhere it would mean that other components which were working fine are now defect, that sounds less likely.
2017-11-15
Use props
NuminousD
lvl.1
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-11-15 17:58
If it is travelling in the direction of the new motor, then, either the the motor is lagging (not turning freely) or as you suggest it is not mounted true. Check the motor seat, the screws etc. If the problem was elsewhere it would mean that other components which were working fine are now defect, that sounds less likely.

Actually it is moving in the opposite direction of the new motor. Rear-Left motor was replaced, and now it moved Forward-Right, seemingly exactly diagonally. I will check and  re-seat the motor and screws and see how it goes. Thank you
2017-11-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

<removing dumb post in light of Elektra's post below...>
2017-11-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

NuminousD Posted at 2017-11-15 18:52
Actually it is moving in the opposite direction of the new motor. Rear-Left motor was replaced, and now it moved Forward-Right, seemingly exactly diagonally. I will check and  re-seat the motor and screws and see how it goes. Thank you

Please note that it is normal if the drone drift in ATTI mode as it has no GPS signal to help it maintain the position. I would recommend you fly in P mode to improve the flight performance.
2017-11-15
Use props
CineView Media
First Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Sounds like the motor is slightly off its seat, causing the propeller to be more "efficient" than the others, or an imbalance to the dihedral effect.
In gps mode it wont, cause the controller would mix the three other motors to compensate for the extra efficiency it creates.
Thats what makes most sense to me, after what you describe...
2017-11-16
Use props
G_Sig
Captain
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Are all motors the same 2312 or 2312A?
2017-11-17
Use props
stuka75
First Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Proper motor/prop replacement?
2017-11-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

I agree with Elektra's post - wind, even a slight 3 mph cross-breeze will cause the AC to fly to the left or right in ATTI.  But the OP says he has experience in ATTI, so this is odd.

It doesn't make sense to me that the new motor install would cause the problem (and only in ATTI) because the gyros and ESCs should compensate for something such as an unlevel motor.  Besides that, how would you install a motor uneven unless you were doing it deliberately?  

2017-11-17
Use props
WD9EON
Captain
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

Have you calibrated the controller sticks?
2017-11-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

That was my first idea but the OP claims the problem only exists in ATTI - not in GPS - so if the controller is out of calibration, it would be off in both modes.   So it's probably not the controller calibration...
2017-11-17
Use props
NuminousD
lvl.1
United States

Looks like the problem is solved. I reseated the motor, re-calibrated the controller and recalibrated ICU. Seems to work ok now. Thank you everyone.
2017-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules