Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Choppy footage on smartphone and on playback
1501 16 2017-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
maxim8609
lvl.1
Flight distance : 361 ft
Russia

[size=14.6667px]Hi all. [size=14.6667px]A few days ago I realised that SOMETIMES (usually when the aircraft is moving or at least gimbal is moving) my footage looks choppy and kinda "damaged" when I was looking it on my smartphone during flying. And there is same result on playback. I use U3 speed class memory card and tried with a few other ones. Moreover I reproduced the same issue when I was recording footage just in FullHD resolution - so I have choppy FullHD video on playback (I can upload it if it's needed). Thus It's definitely not about memory card problems.

[size=14.6667px]I also have sometimes "No Signal" issue. I can reproduce it sooner or later if I take the aircraft in my hand and rotate it quite gently. BTW after "No Signal" notice appears gimbal usually fully yaws to the left or to the right. After a few seconds signal usually regains and gimbal initial middle position regains as well.

[size=14.6667px]Everything is up to date. I had completely reinstalled my DJI GO 4 APP. I also tried another smartphone (samsung galaxy s8 instead of my [size=14.6667px]samsung galaxy note4[size=14.6667px]) and reproduced these issues pretty easily.

[size=14.6667px]Looks like there are some troubles with gimbal/camera. Any thoughts?
[size=14.6667px]Thanks!

2017-11-16
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

If you look at the video direct from the sd card on a pc, is it ok?
2017-11-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-11-16 20:12

Just a small tip on that, don't view video from an SD card, copy it to a HDD or SSD first, then view it from there. The reason is that some SD card readers are woefully slow.
2017-11-16
Use props
maxim8609
lvl.1
Russia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-11-16 20:12

Yes, it's ok. And it's ok when seen from computer.
Here's the example of FullHD choppy video - https://drive.google.com/open?id ... ZxP5bVRtizpX5Hmmfcc
2017-11-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sir, have you tried to reset the camera settings? Does the issue remain if changed to another IOS devices?
2017-11-16
Use props
maxim8609
lvl.1
Russia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-11-16 23:48
Sir, have you tried to reset the camera settings? Does the issue remain if changed to another IOS devices?

Yes. Camera settings had been reset automatically after "No Signal" error a few times. I didn't reset it manually though.

Haven't tried yet with IOS devices. But have tried with another Android device - Samsung Galaxy S8 instead of my usual Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
2017-11-17
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Australia

maxim8609 Posted at 2017-11-16 22:42
Yes, it's ok. And it's ok when seen from computer.
Here's the example of FullHD choppy video - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iLKoMuRalZGBiZxP5bVRtizpX5Hmmfcc

So the video on the sd card is ok which means there probably isn't anything wrong with your camera. It is either a lot of interference in the video signal or the phones you have tried have a problem processing the video. Both of those phones should be able to handle the video signal.
Are you always flying in the same place where this happens? If so, could you try flying in a different area. Could you also check the GO 4 settings HD icon when this is happening and see if there is a lot of signal interference.
2017-11-17
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-11-16 21:27
Just a small tip on that, don't view video from an SD card, copy it to a HDD or SSD first, then view it from there. The reason is that some SD card readers are woefully slow.

Yes, I agree with you on that.
2017-11-17
Use props
maxim8609
lvl.1
Russia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-11-17 20:13
So the video on the sd card is ok which means there probably isn't anything wrong with your camera. It is either a lot of interference in the video signal or the phones you have tried have a problem processing the video. Both of those phones should be able to handle the video signal.
Are you always flying in the same place where this happens? If so, could you try flying in a different area. Could you also check the GO 4 settings HD icon when this is happening and see if there is a lot of signal interference.

I'm really sorry but it was just my misspelling   . The video is NOT ok on computer. It looks choppy - exactly the same as I seen on smartphone screen during recording. I provided a link above for uploaded video.
As I mentioned I reproduced the problem even in Full HD resolution. It's choppy on smartphone screen and on computer as well and it is just in FullHD resolution.
I've tried a few memory cards which worked before nicely - with speed classes U1 and U3.
That's why I think the problem is definitely not in memory card.

And I think "No signal" notice proves that I need to dig somewhere around gimbal/camera.
2017-11-17
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Australia

maxim8609 Posted at 2017-11-17 21:08
I'm really sorry but it was just my misspelling   . The video is NOT ok on computer. It looks choppy - exactly the same as I seen on smartphone screen during recording. I provided a link above for uploaded video.
As I mentioned I reproduced the problem even in Full HD resolution. It's choppy on smartphone screen and on computer as well and it is just in FullHD resolution.
I've tried a few memory cards which worked before nicely - with speed classes U1 and U3.

Well the only things I have read that may help are checking that the gimbal is seated correctly, a gimbal calibration and an IMU calibration. If the problem has started since you last updated the firmware, then you could try refreshing the firmware in case there was a glitch the first time. Failing all that, it would be time to contact support.
Has the Phantom  ever been crashed?
2017-11-17
Use props
maxim8609
lvl.1
Russia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-11-17 21:45
Well the only things I have read that may help are checking that the gimbal is seated correctly and underneath the tabs front and back, a gimbal calibration and an IMU calibration. If the problem has started since you last updated the firmware, then you could try refreshing the firmware in case there was a glitch the first time. Failing all that, it would be time to contact support.
Has the Mavic ever been crashed?

Thanks for advice. It is phantom 4 pro. There was kinda mini-crash recently. Drone was taking off and wind gust appeared. Quad overturned on the ground and lay down on props.
2017-11-18
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Australia

maxim8609 Posted at 2017-11-18 11:24
Thanks for advice. It is phantom 4 pro. There was kinda mini-crash recently. Drone was taking off and wind gust appeared. Quad overturned on the ground and lay down on props.

Sorry, should have realised it was a Phantom. There is a beta version of the firmware available which you could try which has been fixing gimbal issues. Not sure if it will fix your problem but probably worth a try. You would just need to contact one of the Administrators to get access to it.Just one other thing, was the video working properly prior to the overturning incident?
2017-11-18
Use props
maxim8609
lvl.1
Russia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-11-18 21:38
Sorry, should have realised it was a Phantom. There is a beta version of the firmware available which you could try which has been fixing gimbal issues. Not sure if it will fix your problem but probably worth a try. You would just need to contact one of the Administrators to get access to it.Just one other thing, was the video working properly prior to the overturning incident?

Footage that had been taken before incident and after that is good. It's okay. I was in trip, incident was in trip but everything is fine with video taken in trip after this incident. I returned to home 2 days later and after returning started experiencing these issues. Drone was in hand luggage and I'm pretty sure I was carrying it safely. After returning I've recalibrated compass of course.

Yesterday recalibrated IMU and gimbal on flat surface. The problem persists.
Thanks for advice with beta-version firmware update. Will consider it.
2017-11-18
Use props
maxim8609
lvl.1
Russia

Gimbal and camera looks absolutely normal. But when I rotate the gimbal on switched off aircraft I can hear kind of little dusty noise. May be it's ok, maybe it points on some dust inside gimbal mechanisms.
2017-11-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

maxim8609 Posted at 2017-11-19 01:13
Gimbal and camera looks absolutely normal. But when I rotate the gimbal on switched off aircraft I can hear kind of little dusty noise. May be it's ok, maybe it points on some dust inside gimbal mechanisms.

It looks like the hardware has been damaged. If refreshing the firmware does not work, please consider to send it in: https://twitter.com/DJISupport
2017-11-21
Use props
Titanbot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2485909 ft
United States

Been through this, even went out and bought a fast sd card but it came down to being the processor speed of what you viewing the footage on. I had to knock the recording down to 720 even for my desktop to play without glitching.  Phantom 4 pro
2017-11-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Titanbot Posted at 2017-11-21 16:18
Been through this, even went out and bought a fast sd card but it came down to being the processor speed of what you viewing the footage on. I had to knock the recording down to 720 even for my desktop to play without glitching.  Phantom 4 pro

Yes, true. This complaint, in various forms, occurs quite often, and in most cases it comes down to the device or computer you are viewing the material on. Unfortunately no-one tells you anywhere that as well as buying a DJI aircraft with 4K recording capability, you may also have to invest in a modern computer to play it back on.
2017-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules