1959 11 2017-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jason WAI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I have just received my Mavic Pro Platinum. I’m just wondering if the propellers should be removed from the rear arms before unfolding it.  The tip of the propeller seems to be fragile / very thin. I’m wondering if the propeller tips might be easily broken during storage. Any advice? Thanks.

2017-11-16
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

They are somewhat fragile, I don't use them unless there is a need for a quieter flight. Keep'em in the box safely tucked away until needed.
2017-11-16
Use props
Airbus350XWB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 705768 ft
Indonesia

No propellers should be removed if you store it properly. At least for me
2017-11-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Technically, the Mavic is designed for portability (no matter what colour you prefer) so the idea is to leave the props on and simply unfold them before take off though the drone uses centrifugal force to separate the blades anyway after arming the motors. I have a set of the new 8331 props for my Alpine White Mavic and the winglet tips are very thin so to be safe, I personally take these off and only use them when a quieter flight is needed. If I had the Platinum model I would remove them to minimise the risk of damaging them. One set back for a quieter flight but as they are a quick release design it will take you seconds to put them on and at least they won't be unbalanced or damaged whilst in storage.  
2017-11-16
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

I have the MPP and was concerned with how fragile the propellers seemed to be. However, I always fold up the aircraft and put it into the bag without removing the propellers. Haven't had an issue yet.
2017-11-16
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Thanks everyone
2017-11-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use a strap around my props. I’ve noticed that when removing the Mavic the bottom props can get caught and may bend.
2017-11-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2017-11-16 15:45
Technically, the Mavic is designed for portability (no matter what colour you prefer) so the idea is to leave the props on and simply unfold them before take off though the drone uses centrifugal force to separate the blades anyway after arming the motors. I have a set of the new 8331 props for my Alpine White Mavic and the winglet tips are very thin so to be safe, I personally take these off and only use them when a quieter flight is needed. If I had the Platinum model I would remove them to minimise the risk of damaging them. One set back for a quieter flight but as they are a quick release design it will take you seconds to put them on and at least they won't be unbalanced or damaged whilst in storage.

Is that different from what you would do with the 'normal' Mavic Props (like do you leave them on?)
2017-11-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-17 06:58
Is that different from what you would do with the 'normal' Mavic Props (like do you leave them on?)

Yes, I always left my 8330 props on as the blades are more robust.
2017-11-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2017-11-17 08:25
Yes, I always left my 8330 props on as the blades are more robust.

Wow, so the new ones are more weak?
2017-11-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-18 10:26
Wow, so the new ones are more weak?

The tips are very thin and could bend out of shape quite easily if pressed hard or even split. Be careful if you get them. They do reduce the noise (or at least change the frequency) but the benefits end there.
2017-11-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for the participants. And I agree with 3#, if you store it softly and properly,  you don't have remove the props.
2017-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules