Black dots in Pictures
1157 10 2017-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bphlmn
New
United States

Alright, I am having an issue with the camera on the DJI Phantom 4.  As you can see, I'm getting mainly black dots in some of my photos.  I've ask DJI help and they have said to calubrate the IMU and compass.  I've done both but the problem is still happening.  I've also tried the orginal micro sd that came with the drone, also bought a new sandisk extreme pro card with the same results.  

I've reset the camera setting back to default, lock thru the forums about camera.  But wasn't able to find issues that I'm getting.  The attached picture is a taste of what I'm getting, but not all pictures are getting the black dots.  Should I send it back for repairs or am I doing something wrong.  Some help would be great.

Sky

Sky

2017-11-16
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Geebax is the camera expert.  Maybe he'll have a look.
2017-11-16
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nothing to do with the IMU OR the COMPASS. Did you clean the lense? Are they always in the same location on the pictures? Suggest posting few more pictures in DNG format without editing.
2017-11-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

'  I've ask DJI help and they have said to calubrate the IMU and compass. '

Unfortunately this demonstrates the utter futility in contacting DJI support for help. They are just a bunch of un-trained phone-jockeys, probably in some Asian sweatshop who have no technical skills whatsoever.

They are too sharp to be dust or dirt. What you are seeing are known as stuck pixels, and it is a fault in the camera. I would suggest you send the aircraft back for repair.
2017-11-16
Use props
bphlmn
New
United States

Well I tried to upload another picture but must not like the size of the picture (23MB) that is in BNG format.  But with what Geebax said I'll get it sent out for repairs.  Thanks for the info, been killing my brain for a few weeks thinking that it might be a setup problem.
2017-11-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Does the issue also occur in the video? Please send us some original pictures for better assistance, thanks!
2017-11-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

bphlmn Posted at 2017-11-16 18:54
Well I tried to upload another picture but must not like the size of the picture (23MB) that is in BNG format.  But with what Geebax said I'll get it sent out for repairs.  Thanks for the info, been killing my brain for a few weeks thinking that it might be a setup problem.

Not a good idea to try and upload pictures to the forum, it has a size limitation. Post them on Dropbox or simlar, then place a link on here.
2017-11-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I'm pretty sure they would have made a suggestion to Calibrate the IMU and gimbal. ;-)

Not sure where the compass made an entrance. But no compass calibration will fix a camera problem.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

bphlmn Posted at 2017-11-16 18:54

Why would you bang your head against the wall for two weeks, without reporting the situation here?

That would have been excruciating... For sure. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-11-16
Use props
bphlmn
New
United States

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtbVmCHbw8D8hCxPcTviaBSWzNT-
This should have 2 photos to look at
2017-11-17
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Dark ones look like typical dirt on the sensor in first image.  White ones are hot pixels and need to be mapped out if DJI can do that.  Some cameras have that ability built into them to map out the white ones (My Olympus has it built in.), but the blacks will need a good sensor cleaning which requires some dismantling to get to it.

My DSLR's need an occasional cleaning to get rid of the debris.  Some of it seems to get stuck as the sensor gets heated (Sensor does get hot in move mode.) and it bakes onto the surface where a wet cleaning is needed to get rid of it.  It usually is more apparent at the smaller f/stops like f/8-f/22 than shooting wide open.  You could try shooting wide open with a ND filter, and then stopped down without the ND filter and see if it makes any difference which it should, but either way it needs attention or you'll spend a lot of time in editing them all out.

However, the ones posted in you OneDrive look more serious like a sensor issue as they are lines running vertically.  Could be a cable or sensor itself.

Time to send it in.

2017-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules