Petition Poll - Please vote - Do you want Ground Station for P3?
13153 99 2015-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

pete1144@me.com Posted at 2015-4-13 01:55
I've said it once....and I will repeat it here....there will be NO WAYPOINT capability coming from D ...

Good point.  Did not think of the autonomous aircraft angle being the hang-up.  Like above post the Inspire has been out for 6 months.... and still nothing for them. I am not holding my breathe either. But I still love the P3p over my P2 night and day improvements.
2015-6-3
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

I thought there might be a slight chance of a waypoint capability for the Inspire and P3, when the 3DR Solo got released....DJI's way of softening the impact of the competitor's release. But nothing from DJI...
2015-6-6
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Getting 10% response is actually a good result.  Most surveys only get between 3-5%.  Seeing how this is such a closed group, the 10% number makes sense.  
2015-6-9
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

tpallai Posted at 2015-4-12 23:27
Yea seriously!   We paid $3000 and now the Phantom 3 has almost identical features for $2000 less

DJI is a company that grew real fast lots of employees lots of structure what happens when you grow that fast is a need for constant cash flow where else could they go, I saw this coming, what else could you do with the phantom besides this, I bought the vision plus when it came out and now I have bought a P3P my vision plus just sits there now.  DJI had to do this for several reasons, cash flow, keep the technology and sales moving, they will likely come up with a new inspire 2 and your old inspire will set in the corner also LOL  they will likely get me again on there next move and I still want an Inspire so don't feel bad enjoy your inspire until they compel you to buy again
2015-6-13
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

pete1144@me.com Posted at 2015-6-7 08:26
I thought there might be a slight chance of a waypoint capability for the Inspire and P3, when the 3 ...

It's all guesswork, but I think liability is a BIG deal here. This includes both warranty liability as well as responsibility for tools they put into the hands of untrained consumers.

There is a calculation here:
How many people won't buy it because it doesn't have waypoints - or, more accurately, won't accept waypoints from 3rd parties later?

VS.

How many extra warranty and replacement claims and unhappy customers come from crashes and loss when using waypoints (it requires learning and skill to know mapping, etc)?
and
What are the legal ramifications - you could, for example, put bad stuff on a quadcopter and make it fly into a crowd, etc. when you were not there, etc. etc.???
and
What is our responsibility as the largest (by far) member of the drone coalitions and lobbying groups?

As as example, look at the Solo claims of "Selfie shots" - lawyers are probably raising a toast to that one! A flying blender without a zoom camera with factory-approved automated moves to get very close to people!

I know it's easy to think that corporations don't have souls or standards....but the combination of legalities combined with their own self-interest can often steer their direction.

As consumers we want a lot of things. But we really don't know - en masse - what is safe. Witness the crazy things people are doing with these. Waypoints would mean people doing circuits of the NYC skyline, checking out the local air force base and looking hard for Area 52 :-)

2015-6-27
Use props
Stdquad
lvl.1

Canada

I really can't see what the problem is.  DJI can limit way point location be be within the restricted airspace, same idea as airport restrictions.  maybe restict way points to be within a normal visual distance.

What do you think
2015-6-29
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-28 09:16
It's all guesswork, but I think liability is a BIG deal here. This includes both warranty liability ...

hmmm... With or without the automated flights, it is still a darn heavy blender without a zoom camera.

DJI has the ground station for other models right?

They are just doing what they do better... play lazy, watch and see.

It is all up to sales.

But I do hope they do this.

Cheers!

BuyDJI.ca
2015-7-5
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Paniza Posted at 2015-7-6 01:38
hmmm... With or without the automated flights, it is still a darn heavy blender without a zoom cam ...

I don't mean liability of it hitting you - although some modes like follow me and selfie are almost asking for trouble.

There are a couple issues here.

1. It takes knowledge of mapping, elevation, topography, compass direction, etc to properly fly waypoints - what % of pilots really have these skills?

2. In the USA and some other countries, operator control and line of sight is the only method we are supposed to fly. Waypoints could be used to do otherwise.

3. Security - it's not hard to imagine that waypoints could be used to fly something into something with no one there to answer for it.

4. Warranty - when things go wrong with waypoint missions, customers are going to be blaming DJI - and then getting angry because they lost their machine or crashed it into something.

So they have the benefits of a new feature - and the downsides!

They had a weak GS in the Phantom 2V+ - it did make you agree to a disclaimer before you can get to it.

On top of all that they do have the legal issues - again, if LOS and operator control is the norm, you can just imagine the lawyers saying "well, then why did your provide a package that could do this?".
2015-7-5
Use props
austin
lvl.2

United States

I have not bought a P3 I won't until waypoints come out along with being able to use Pix4D or similar. For now the P2+ having waypoints is still the top of the line small drone, keep yours may be more valuble than what we are aware of. I do hope soon though the P3 will come out with waypoints, I will buy 1 then...DJI, any update or info you'll can share on waypoints for the P3?

We have supported you'll by making you'll millioniares, please share with us back updated info on P3 waypoints
2015-7-5
Use props
frandenr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4026 ft
  • >>>
United States

pete1144@me.com Posted at 2015-4-13 01:55
I've said it once....and I will repeat it here....there will be NO WAYPOINT capability coming from D ...

Really,
DJI didn't seem to have a problem releasing waypoints for the Phantom 2 Vision+.
And when DJI released waypoints for Phantom 2 Vision+, they thought it was a brilliant idea.
If you don't remember, check it out for yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/qajTB3g8TrU
A more probable reason that DJI did not provide waypoint software for Phantom 3, is their hurry to push the new product out.
Perhaps their competition will change their minds.
Take a look at what comes with Solo's 3DR.
And as for the person who thought no one would respond the survey posted by 'droneking', the last time I counted, it was 544 in favor, and 16 opposed.
If one pays close attention to this forum, it's easy to see that DJI reads these postings.
Keep telling them way you want: how else will they know?

2015-7-5
Use props
Inspector_Tim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35899 ft
United States

Having a P2V+ before the P3P... I thought it would have, and seemed like I remember reading that it would have groundstation, but may have said "will be coming" dunno, my fault I guess. However, there are now apps that are moving forward with this, correct? I know there is/was an Android app that is pretty close, hopefully an ios to follow
2015-7-11
Use props
DrACE
lvl.3

United States

Can someone explain what ground station is?
2015-8-3
Use props
TimmyG94
lvl.1

United States

DrACE Posted at 2015-8-3 21:59
Can someone explain what ground station is?

Ground Station is an app that allows autonomous flight via GPS waypoints --- ie, you enter specific points on a Google "satellite view" map and altitudes you want your UAV to be at those specific points and then press "Launch" and the UAV will take off and fly to those points sequentially without any need to be controlled in flight by the operator.

It worked great for the Phantom 2, but we have no idea why DJI is hesitant to release a version for the P3.  Gut feeling tells me it has something to do with FAA and other civil aviation authorities frowning on any autonomous flight by civilians, and BLOS flight is prohibited by the FAA.   Naturally, the military gets to do it in order to kill people it doesn't like.

2015-8-4
Use props
DrACE
lvl.3

United States

^TY TimmyG94 for the explanation.  
2015-8-4
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Has had waypoints since nearly day 1 for the P3 and with the firmware release today you no longer need beta firmware from DJI:

https://play.google.com/store/ap ... .djiultimateflight3

Amongst the traditional point and touch for waypoints there is also a draw and fly (no, this is not like the Pilot app where YOU draw it and YOU fly it; this is you draw it and the app creates the mission).

Also POI/Orbit and it will have follow but DJI has removed that from the SDK for the near term; I expect it back soon.
2015-8-4
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

kenargo Posted at 2015-8-5 04:28
Has had waypoints since nearly day 1 for the P3 and with the firmware release today you no longer ne ...

Hey Ken, you would know this.

It is sounding like the new 1.3.20 has everything enabled except follow-me. Is that correct?

Should we update to this one for doing dev with the SDK?

Thanks
2015-8-4
Use props
jwoo
lvl.1

United States

martinmarty Posted at 2015-4-14 22:45
I'm not sure what you people are talking about, but I think it may be relevant to my quest. What I w ...

Martinmarty, are you located in Columbus Ohio?
2015-8-5
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

suqsid.bobmail Posted at 2015-8-5 09:20
Hey Ken, you would know this.

It is sounding like the new 1.3.20 has everything enabled except fo ...

Technically, 1.3.x had waypoint and orbit/POI, only missing follow however, DJI said that 1.3.x was not supported for SDK based apps so I'm not sure what would work and not; it did appear to work though.

A few days ago DJI released SDK firmware 1.4.x; that has everything, waypoint, follow and orbit and I've updated my app to expose all new functionality.  In the Google group for my app I have links to the firmware (P3 Pro, Adv and Inspire 1) and a link to download an updated app.  DJI has tied the firmware to specific versions of the SDK so you need both in order to work.
2015-8-15
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>
United States

TimmyG94 Posted at 2015-8-4 19:15
Ground Station is an app that allows autonomous flight via GPS waypoints --- ie, you enter specific ...

With a course laid out and the bird is following the course do you still have the ability to rotate to point the camera...as in IOC without stopping the programmed course.

Butch
2015-8-15
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-8-30 05:46
I have Litchi.  No need for GS.

Agreed with it
2019-2-20