Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Former Sunnyside Hospital in Black and White
1405 35 2017-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
G Davidson
Captain
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

Former Sunnyside Hospital, Scotland in Black and White

Sunnyside Hospital BW

Sunnyside Hospital BW

2017-11-17
Use props
AlanHd
Captain
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Another nice shot, thanks for sharing.
2017-11-17
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

woow
Nice shot!
Come and join the Black Friday Contest!
2017-11-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very impressive.
2017-11-17
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
United Kingdom

AlanHd Posted at 2017-11-17 03:01
Another nice shot, thanks for sharing.

Thank you Alan!
2017-11-17
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
United Kingdom

DJI Grace Posted at 2017-11-17 03:04
woow
Nice shot!
Come and join the Black Friday Contest!

Thank you Grace!
2017-11-17
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
United Kingdom

Thank you! The site is going to be redeveloped so I wonder how it's going to look in a few years time. At least the historic buildings will be kept.
2017-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

G Davidson Posted at 2017-11-17 08:13
Thank you! The site is going to be redeveloped so I wonder how it's going to look in a few years time. At least the historic buildings will be kept.

Another great pic. You really amaze me. Your pics are always well done,

Thanks for sharing them with the forum...

RedHotPoker
2017-11-17
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-17 09:32
Another great pic. You really amaze me. Your pics are always well done,

Thanks for sharing them with the forum...

You're too kind RHP. I'm happy to share what I can of scenery around me
2017-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

G Davidson Posted at 2017-11-17 09:56
You're too kind RHP. I'm happy to share what I can of scenery around me

Perhaps you will revisit this sight, and share the new look, once construction has been completed.

You certainly have a great knack for photography, obviously wonderful eye sight too. ;-)

It's our pleasure, to see what you bring to the forum table. Thanks again, for these unique perspectives.
To be quite honest, I have already shared a couple of your wonderful pics on another forum, that is dear to my heart...
Yes, you are worthy!! Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-11-17
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-17 10:19
Perhaps you will revisit this sire, and share the new look, once construction has been completed.

You certainly have a great knack for photography, obviously wonderful eye sight too. ;-)

I'd certainly like to go back and see what changes. I'd been there a few times walking around with a camera but only the aerial views did it justice.

I got into photography about 14 years ago - just a hobby that has made me appreciate the locality and learn a little more of the history. Spent most of my days prior to that taking it all for granted.

I'm honoured you felt some of my works worth sharing
2017-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

G Davidson Posted at 2017-11-17 11:25
I'd certainly like to go back and see what changes. I'd been there a few times walking around with a camera but only the aerial views did it justice.

I got into photography about 14 years ago - just a hobby that has made me appreciate the locality and learn a little more of the history. Spent most of my days prior to that taking it all for granted.

Yes, 14 years, is a long education, but it payed off for you.

This is why we say it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become proficient.

Imagine if you took an actual, photography course? ;-)
Or perhaps you will go on to be an instructor in drone photography. Future is bright.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-17
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-17 11:34
Yes, 14 years, is a long education, but it payed off for you.

This is why we say it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become proficient.

Hehe - I learnt a lot of things the hard way and went off on a few tangents. Learning how to "see" the way the camera does was probably the toughest. My approach was something along the lines "I may not know much about art, but I know what I like"

I think many conventional photographers are still to discover the third dimension (up) and the freedom a drone gives to choose the best angle. Interesting times ahead!
2017-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

G Davidson Posted at 2017-11-17 11:55
Hehe - I learnt a lot of things the hard way and went off on a few tangents. Learning how to "see" the way the camera does was probably the toughest. My approach was something along the lines "I may not know much about art, but I know what I like"

I think many conventional photographers are still to discover the third dimension (up) and the freedom a drone gives to choose the best angle. Interesting times ahead!

Hard lessons are often those we remember the best.

I frequently think about taking a professional photogtpraphy course, myself. It would be great.
Not for the credits or diploma, just the lessons learned. So valuable.

I'm glad that you paid attention to detail, as your pics are delightful. Very warm and inviting.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-17
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-17 12:12
Hard lessons are often those we remember the best.

I often think about taking a professional photogtpraphy course, myself. It would be great.

A course would be a great way to go. Many throw money at gear thinking it will make them a better photographer but if the money was spent on their personal development of photography skills, it would be better value for money initially!

I will confess to falling into the gear trap and falling prey to the technical minutiae but it eventually helped let me get the gear out of the way of creativity later on. I'm happy with "good enough" for now.

Thanks again for the kind feedback

2017-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

G Davidson Posted at 2017-11-17 12:33
A course would be a great way to go. Many throw money at gear thinking it will make them a better photographer but if the money was spent on their personal development of photography skills, it would be better value for money initially!

I will confess to falling into the gear trap and falling prey to the technical minutiae but it eventually helped let me get the gear out of the way of creativity later on. I'm happy with "good enough" for now.

True that. When I bought my Nikon FE, I thought I would never need to buy another 35mm camera.
Now I'm carrying a Nikon D800 with the new 80-400mm lens. Ah, surely I won't be buying more cameras gear. So where did the Phantom 3 Pro enter the big picture? Blame that on my local Great Hobbies store, that brought me into the DJI fist pilot experience, discussion and demo. I was fascinated and intrigued by it all...

Man that new Nikon D850 has some swell features... Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-11-17
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-17 10:19
Perhaps you will revisit this sight, and share the new look, once construction has been completed.

I agree with RedHotPoker, revisit the site as the work progresses. A local country store here burned down. I took photos every week as it was demolished and re-built, then made a slide show.  It turned out really nice, the owners loved it.
2017-11-17
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-17 12:42
True that. When I bought my Nikon FE, I thought I would never need to buy another 35mm camera.
Now I'm carrying a Nikon D800 with the new 80-400mm lens. Ah, surely I won't be buying more cameras gear. So where did the Phantom 3 Pro enter the big picture? Blame that on my local Great Hobbies store, that brought me into the DJI fist pilot experience, discussion and demo. I was fascinated and intrigued by it all...

The D800 and the D810 are great cameras. I just love the image quality and dynamic range they give and yearn for the day we can get that quality in the air inexpensively!

I started with a P3P too. I did get some buyers remorse but it didn't last long when I discovered I could do aerial 360s!

D850... very nice indeed, but the price! I think if I didn't have D810, I'd be quite keen!
2017-11-17
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
United Kingdom

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-11-17 12:53
I agree with RedHotPoker, revisit the site as the work progresses. A local country store here burned down. I took photos every week as it was demolished and re-built, then made a slide show.  It turned out really nice, the owners loved it.

It's been in the back of my mind to ask the developer if they would allow it. They were happy for me to take images beforehand but once it turns into a construction site, there might be difficulties. Would be great to see though!
2017-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

G Davidson Posted at 2017-11-17 12:56
The D800 and the D810 are great cameras. I just love the image quality and dynamic range they give and yearn for the day we can get that quality in the air inexpensively!

I started with a P3P too. I did get some buyers remorse but it didn't last long when I discovered I could do aerial 360s!

I had to take a step back, and be thankful forall that I have, and not feeling remorse for what I can't have.
New gear and products are released every few months it seems, and the prices never seem to be any less, but frequently increased substantially..

No, I'm going to wear out my present photography setup, before getting that shopping bug...

I had considered the D810, but felt the extra cost, didn't meet my present day, amateur needs. ;-)

Driving a shiny Rolls, who needs a brilliant Bentley. Haha

RedHotPoker

2017-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-11-17 12:53

Are you going to share your slide show?

I would Love to see it... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

G Davidson Posted at 2017-11-17 12:59
It's been in the back of my mind to ask the developer if they would allow it. They were happy for me to take images beforehand but once it turns into a construction site, there might be difficulties. Would be great to see though!

If you fly before or after work hours, you should be fine...
Flying above a working construction sight may become a problem, for you.

Asking prior permission would be wise, for your freedom at any time of the day or night.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Such a lovely name for an evil-looking place.
2017-11-17
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-11-17 13:36
Such a lovely name for an evil-looking place.

It was Scotland's oldest asylum - I would imagine all sorts of things happened there!

There is a website dedicated to it; here is a link to its photo gallery.

http://www.sunnyside.me.uk/the_main_building_photo_gallery.html
I took a 360 in front of some of the buildings at https://goo.gl/maps/HoB6kUtLkQn and another in the air at https://goo.gl/maps/TmDBUEaKy472

Perhaps more astonishingly, it may even have been home to one of the World's first commercial electric wind turbines in 1895 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Blyth_(engineer)invented by a local Scotsman
2017-11-17
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-17 13:05
Are you going to share your slide show?

I would Love to see it... ;-)

I hadn't thought about it, all the photos were taken with a DSLR not a drone so probably not appropriate for here.
2017-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-11-17 15:20
I hadn't thought about it, all the photos were taken with a DSLR not a drone so probably not appropriate for here.

The forum is a combination of DJI drone use and photography.

I don't know of anyone here who would mind. I have interest, surely others here would as well.

If the mods dislike it, they will show you their disapproval by deleting it. But I strongly doubt that will transpire.

The ultimate decision is yours.
Please open a new thread and share your work...

RedHotPoker
2017-11-17
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-17 15:34
The forum is a combination of DJI drone use and photography.

I don't know of anyone here who would mind. I have interest, surely others here would as well.

I tried, unfortunately, the file is too large.
2017-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-11-17 16:38
I tried, unfortunately, the file is too large.

Never mind, I got the link telepathically. Hahaha

Thanks. For thinking of me. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-11-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

G Davidson Posted at 2017-11-17 13:48
It was Scotland's oldest asylum - I would imagine all sorts of things happened there!

Awful therapies like Electro-Convulsive Therapy come to mind.
2017-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-11-17 20:39
Awful therapies like Electro-Convulsive Therapy come to mind.

Brings to mind, Jack Nicholson, in One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

A little zap will do you... ;-)

I was talking to Ken about the Insane Asylum escape, in Hawaii.
37 years in the nut house, and the guy just walks away, hailed a cab to the airport and heads to California. He is back though, after being caught.
The Great Escape?

RedHotPoker
2017-11-17
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

G Davidson Posted at 2017-11-17 13:48

Aloha G,

Be sure to only get these shots on the right cloudy days.  The clouds make your shots.  Brilliant!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-11-18
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2017-11-18 01:35
Aloha G,

Be sure to only get these shots on the right cloudy days.  The clouds make your shots.  Brilliant!

Thank you!

Indeed -  I'm a fan of nice skies. I wish I had a convenient location I could quickly get to so that I could shoot sky hemispheres for later use in my 360s. I've lost out capturing some cracking skies!

2017-11-18
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-11-17 13:07
If you fly before or after work hours, you should be fine...
Flying above a working construction sight may become a problem, for you.

I will make some enquiries - the take off point would need to be in the construction area and once work begins there may be all sorts of issues around getting permission (site access/health and safety on site etc).

Maybe one day we'll get a drone deemed safe enough to have relaxed flight regulations!
2017-11-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

G Davidson Posted at 2017-11-18 02:33
Thank you!

Indeed -  I'm a fan of nice skies. I wish I had a convenient location I could quickly get to so that I could shoot sky hemispheres for later use.

Aloha G,

As long as you understand the concept - and no one will ever say you do not! - you will always have arrows in your quiver.  You have a good eye and do good work!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-11-18
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

I can't believe that it is a hospital! It looks like a castle.
2017-11-19
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
United Kingdom

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-11-19 19:02
I can't believe that it is a hospital! It looks like a castle.

Back in those days there seemed to be great civic pride - the craftsmanship that went into all the stonework alone must have been amazing.
2017-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules