Compass error in flight.
984 7 2017-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wurzle
New
Norway

Hi Right out of the packet my phantom 4 has been flying to the left. I have calibrated the compass several times but it makes no difference. My last flight I got compass errors while it was flying. Is there something I need to send this drone in for repair?
I see that others have the same issue with the left drift but no one else has said that the compass stops working mid flight.

2017-11-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

You might calibrate the IMU and then the compass - see if that helps.  Make sure you are calibrating the compass away from metals...
2017-11-17
Use props
Wurzle
New
Norway

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-11-17 03:23
You might calibrate the IMU and then the compass - see if that helps.  Make sure you are calibrating the compass away from metals...

Thanks for the help. Yes I removed my watch and made sure my telephone was a long way away etc. The drone is starting up with everything good IMU Compass etc. During flight it is coming with compass errors.
2017-11-17
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Wurzle Posted at 2017-11-17 03:40
Thanks for the help. Yes I removed my watch and made sure my telephone was a long way away etc. The drone is starting up with everything good IMU Compass etc. During flight it is coming with compass errors.

Can you screenshot the error or something? Maybe you have bad compass in the drone or something
2017-11-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

the compass stops working mid flight

The compass doesn't usually stop working and if it did, you would not be able to control the Phantom at all.
A compass error is usually a good compass telling you that it has detected a magnetic field that's different from the earth's normal magnetic field.
Look around at where you are flying to see if there's an obvious magnetric influence.
Are you launching or flying close to a lot of steel or reinforced concrete?
2017-11-17
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Wurzle Posted at 2017-11-17 03:40

Did you change an environment and check again? Or you can try to flash your firmware and see if it works. Please ensure that you fly in a place without interference. Please provide a screenshot with the error message. Thanks for support.
2017-11-18
Use props
Wurzle
New
Norway

Thanks for your help. I will provide a screen shot the next time it happens. I fly in North Norway well away from any interference. Over the sea too.
2017-11-19
Use props
Vendex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Ensure there are no any metals around you at least 1.5 meters from you when calibrating compass, than check the compasses interference from Sensors in your app. You should see green light if everything is okay. Also you can check compasses when in mid-flight to see if there are any differences.
2017-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules