Centering the Yaw Motor after replacement?
20491 36 2017-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mundus
lvl.1
Denmark

Hi,
I have just replaced the yaw arm, the yaw motor and the vibration damper after a crash. The camera will not calibrate even after all the trix in the book. Keeps pointing the camera to the left far left as if thats were the normal center is. Is there a way to change the center position? Could it also be possible that I have just recieved a defect yaw motor.... any ideas?
2017-11-17
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Sounds like you didn't install the motor in the correct position.
2017-11-17
Use props
Mundus
lvl.1
Denmark

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-11-17 08:05

Hi, many thanks for the answer...but the way I see it, you can’t mount the yaw motor wrong on the P4P gimbal...or please correct me if I am wrong. Your guidance will be highly appreciated. This is my first non-diy drone, my 4 other drones are diy’s based on flamewheel, so very inexperienced with the Phantom series.
2017-11-17
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

Mundus Posted at 2017-11-17 14:26
Hi, many thanks for the answer...but the way I see it, you can’t mount the yaw motor wrong on the P4P gimbal...or please correct me if I am wrong. Your guidance will be highly appreciated. This is my first non-diy drone, my 4 other drones are diy’s based on flamewheel, so very inexperienced with the Phantom series.

Does it make any noises like it's trying to correct itself?  
2017-11-17
Use props
Mundus
lvl.1
Denmark

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-11-17 14:39
Does it make any noises like it's trying to correct itself?

Hi, no - no strange noise. Goes true then normal initialization procedure, and then after approximately 5-10 seconds the camera slowly turns to the far left and stays there. In this position it seems to work okay when moving the drone around...although still pointing to the far left... very strange behaviour!
2017-11-18
Use props
Olivier Vietti-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11618934 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

hello, there was a post with the answer of susan which indicated that it was simply necessary to turn off the drone then turn the top of the nacelle on the opposite force a little and then turn on the drone, I did this at home and it works . Probably the base is simply resting on a rubber and the position can move in time
2017-11-18
Use props
Mundus
lvl.1
Denmark

Olivier Vietti- Posted at 2017-11-18 01:47
hello, there was a post with the answer of susan which indicated that it was simply necessary to turn off the drone then turn the top of the nacelle on the opposite force a little and then turn on the drone, I did this at home and it works . Probably the base is simply resting on a rubber and the position can move in time

Hi Many thanks for your suggestion, just tried that. Also just changed the robbon cable as someone else suggested. The gimbal initializes correctly, but when I move the drone it swirvels to the left and starts to move back and forth as if it is trying to "force move" the yaw moter stop... wird behaivour.
2017-11-18
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Have you done all the calibrations?  Just a gimbal calibration may not be enough...
2017-11-18
Use props
Vendex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Can you post a video?
2017-11-18
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you tired a gimbal calibration with aircraft in this position, I also found the gimbal twist needed to be done while the P4P was on, obviously don't twist too hard just a bit more than the point of resistance

2017-11-18
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

I also think that the motor shaft has to be in a certain position, Don't think it has a flat end side. You could try different positions to see if it makes a difference.
2017-11-18
Use props
Mundus
lvl.1
Denmark

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-11-18 05:21
I also think that the motor shaft has to be in a certain position, Don't think it has a flat end side. You could try different positions to see if it makes a difference.

Hi, many thanks for all the good suggestions.. have tried them all. I can’t see that it is possible to mount the yaw mother wrongly on a p4p, it is rather fixed in its mount I.e. apparently no way to adjust or “zero” the position. I will try to post a video... as suggested!.
Tried:
New yaw motor, new yaw arm, new ribbon cable, new vibration damper, calibration normal and vertical followed by all the rest of the normal calibrations... non of it have had any effect...starting to think that I might have  received a faulty yaw motor.But also on this subject... I have build more than 20 drones by now mostly race drones but also 4 DJI flamewheels with gimbals and all the trimmings.... they can take a beating! The Phantom 4 Pro is extreamly sensitive a short trip into the trees and you are in my situation - sucks!
2017-11-18
Use props
Mundus
lvl.1
Denmark

Put a video of my problem on YouTube :
2017-11-18
Use props
Mundus
lvl.1
Denmark

Vendex Posted at 2017-11-18 04:14
Can you post a video?

Just posted a video. Hope it gives you some ideas.
2017-11-18
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

It is definitely trying to find the center point, but can't.  Did you try moving the motor shaft?   Maybe someone else who has repaired one and ran into the same problem and can help . Sorry you're having a problem.
Don't give up!
2017-11-18
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

This may help, may not.      https://phantompilots.com/thread ... -on-youtube.125204/
2017-11-18
Use props
Mundus
lvl.1
Denmark

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-11-18 08:27
This may help, may not.      https://phantompilots.com/threads/watch-dji-phantom-4-yaw-motor-replacement-on-youtube.125204/

Many thanks, I will test it even if I it is a brand new motor.
One thing against the suggestion is the fact that the Gimbal behaves okay right until you start provoking it I.e. it is actually finding all the “home points” when it you just “swing” the drone very gently.
2017-11-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Mundus Posted at 2017-11-18 07:38
Put a video of my problem on YouTube : https://youtu.be/HlbFsIAtQZ4

Hi there, if gimbal calibration doesn't help, you can also try to refresh the firmware. But if the issue persists, I suggest sending it in for repair. You can click here for applying an online repair case.
2017-11-18
Use props
Mundus
lvl.1
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-18 23:49
Hi there, if gimbal calibration doesn't help, you can also try to refresh the firmware. But if the issue persists, I suggest sending it in for repair. You can click here for applying an online repair case.

Hi Thor (Like the name - i'm from Scandinavia :-))
Does it help if I say that the gimbal gets VERY varm as wel?
Tried the firmware refresh and did another attempt on calibration - still act as you see on the video.
Also, I changed the Yaw motor, as one of the first things (Bought on e-bay), is there any additional alignment needed when changing the Yaw motor?
2017-11-20
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

If the motor is getting hot, then it's working overtime to correct itself. Probably need to send it to repair.
2017-11-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Mundus Posted at 2017-11-20 07:18
Hi Thor (Like the name - i'm from Scandinavia :-))
Does it help if I say that the gimbal gets VERY varm as wel?
Tried the firmware refresh and did another attempt on calibration - still act as you see on the video.

Glad that you like my name, me, too. Haha, just kidding.
But, I can not easily tell which part needed to be replaced how to replace. I recommend sending it back so we can help to take care of it. And you can contact support.nl@dji.com for a further help.
2017-11-22
Use props
Mundus
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-22 05:38
Glad that you like my name, me, too. Haha, just kidding.
But, I can not easily tell which part needed to be replaced how to replace. I recommend sending it back so we can help to take care of it. And you can contact  for a further help.

I am very surprised.... I fiddled around with my damaged P4P for quite long time trying to repair it myself... in the end I send it if the DJI service centre, just to find that they repaired it and put it into mint condition for only 130€ - WHAT A GREAT SUPPORT.
I will never attempt to repair DJI drones myself again – Sending it to DJI service are much cheaper and more efficient!
2018-1-11
Use props
treebranch
lvl.1

United States

I am experiencing this same issue. Replaced the yaw motor and it aligns just as you post in your video. Did DJI say what was wrong? Did they have a problem with you trying to repair it yourself at first?
Thanks
2018-1-16
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

treebranch Posted at 2018-1-16 07:14
I am experiencing this same issue. Replaced the yaw motor and it aligns just as you post in your video. Did DJI say what was wrong? Did they have a problem with you trying to repair it yourself at first?
Thanks

Have a look and see if there is a 'yaw' adjustment in DJI Go 4 under the 'Adjust Gimbal', as shown in this other Post
2018-1-16
Use props
liverspread
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388199 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

lannes Posted at 2017-11-18 04:43
Have you tired a gimbal calibration with aircraft in this position, I also found the gimbal twist needed to be done while the P4P was on, obviously don't twist too hard just a bit more than the point of resistance

is it okay to calibrate in this pos? i have difficulty in calibration i dunno if maybe magnetic interference or something
2018-1-16
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

liverspread Posted at 2018-1-16 09:48
is it okay to calibrate in this pos? i have difficulty in calibration i dunno if maybe magnetic interference or something

Yes, I find it works better in this position and it was recommended by DJI Support
2018-1-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Mundus Posted at 2018-1-11 04:36
I am very surprised.... I fiddled around with my damaged P4P for quite long time trying to repair it myself... in the end I send it if the DJI service centre, just to find that they repaired it and put it into mint condition for only 130€ - WHAT A GREAT SUPPORT.
I will never attempt to repair DJI drones myself again – Sending it to DJI service are much cheaper and more efficient!

Glad that you got the worked drone now. Thank you for your feedback, happy flying.
2018-1-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

treebranch Posted at 2018-1-16 07:14
Thanks

Please try the calibration method lannes posted on 10# or if you are also using the Phantom 4 Pro, you can refer to Aardvark's post on 24# to adjust the gimbal Yaw. If it doesn't help, you might need to send it back.
2018-1-19
Use props
matjonze
lvl.1
Flight distance : 55692 ft
United Kingdom

If the motor isn't keyed into a position (I've not looked), then free the motor from the gimbal mech and power up the drone and allow it to find its center points. Then lock it all back in place with the center point marked. I've done similar things with non-DJI gimbal mechs where motor shafts have no flats and I've locked the arms onto non-center points on shafts.
2018-1-19
Use props
treebranch
lvl.1

United States

Thank you for the responses. I have tried the recommended calibrations and nothing works. It either wants to align far left or far right of center. Just like Mundus, the gimbal arm gets very hot. Think this could be a bad yaw motor?
2018-1-23
Use props
Mundus
lvl.1
Denmark

treebranch Posted at 2018-1-23 08:07
Thank you for the responses. I have tried the recommended calibrations and nothing works. It either wants to align far left or far right of center. Just like Mundus, the gimbal arm gets very hot. Think this could be a bad yaw motor?

Definitely a faulty yaw motor! I tried to change the motor myself with some motors bought on e-bay… but they were all defect (never buy DJI parts on e-bay). I suspect that the yaw motor is specific matched to the control board as both part was changed during the DJI repair i.e. it is no point trying to change the motor alone. Also if the motor gets extremely hot, so will the control board and electronics that has been over 60 degree Celsius for some time is definitely damaged!
I had the Yaw motor, the electronics, cables, landing gear and a few other parts related to the collision avoidance changed for only 130€… so why bother trying to repair it you self?
2018-1-28
Use props
Mk4Thumper
lvl.2

How long did it take for DJI to repair and send back to you?
2018-4-10
Use props
fans218a958c
lvl.1

United States

lannes Posted at 2017-11-18 04:43
Have you tired a gimbal calibration with aircraft in this position, I also found the gimbal twist needed to be done while the P4P was on, obviously don't twist too hard just a bit more than the point of resistance

Thank you so much for this calibration tip. I recently had to replace my yaw motor and nothing I tried would center the camera until calibrating it in this position. Is anyone still having this trouble? I believe I can help
2018-5-22
Use props
APPSolute
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25095 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

This thread has the solution: https://phantompilots.com/thread ... ken-plz-help.96906/

(You only have to replace the yaw motor's bottom part, and put the old magnetic cup onto the new motor shaft. The electronics in the back of the yaw arm are calibrated to the magnets of the yaw and roll motors. Unfortunately there is no way of recalibrating it to a new motor.
2018-6-19
Use props
Dog Man
lvl.4
Flight distance : 34380 ft
United States

Check this out.
2019-12-14
Use props
djiuser_F8BDVJXbnxor
lvl.1

Sweden

APPSolute Posted at 2018-6-19 02:17
This thread has the solution: https://phantompilots.com/threads/phantom-4-yaw-motor-broken-plz-help.96906/

(You only have to replace the yaw motor's bottom part, and put the old magnetic cup onto the new motor shaft. The electronics in the back of the yaw arm are calibrated to the magnets of the yaw and roll motors. Unfortunately there is no way of recalibrating it to a new motor.

Why isn’t it possible to calibrate it with a new motor? I have a problem with a Phantom 3 pro yaw motor. That shaft has a flat side, so there is only one position that the shaft can be in, because the yaw arm is connected to the shaft with a screw that goes on the flat side.

However, how the motor magnets and sensors are positioned within the ”cup”....is that of importance?
2020-10-28
Use props
djiuser_sa66xCS0XFaW
lvl.1

India

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-11-17 08:05

What do you mean by correct position can you explain please??
2021-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules