Loosing connection after 120-200 meters ??
12Next >
8608 52 2017-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TonyFonagerDK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245013 ft
Denmark

I am still having huge issues with loosing connection to my drone, somewhere between 120 meters and up to 200 meters.

Video signal is lost and shortly after its performing RTH - I can often cancel that and reconnect, as the AC is much closer now.

But, I did not have this issue the first few months - I did change my phone to iPhone 8 Plus - but I would not think that was the reason.

There has been some DJI Go / firmware updates, but I have not seen a pattern ...

I live in Denmark, Europe.

Anyone has any ideas ?

- fiddle with wifi (is that even possible)
- OTG cable ?

Its kinda annoying that it looses connection all the time - for the last 5-6 trips, it has lost it every time .... *bummer*

2017-11-17
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2136716 ft
United Kingdom

I'm having similar problems and have just sent the Spark back to Heliguy for evaluation. They suggested changing the region on my iPhone to US then manually selected a channel. I then managed to take it to 500m. I understand that doing this in the UK is illegal though.
2017-11-17
Use props
djiuser_FcRm4qF
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49610 ft
United States

I've got same problem as well

Do you mean change region in phone settings? how do i manually select a channel?
Is this becasue i'm in the UK and limited to 120m?
2017-11-17
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

How busy are the 5.8 and 2.4ghz channels where you fly?  How are your antennas oriented?  The max range only applies to perfect clear radio spectrums.
2017-11-17
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

How busy are the 5.8 and 2.4ghz channels where you fly?  How are your antennas oriented?  The max range only applies to perfect clear radio spectrums. There are very few open channels even where I am out in the farm lands.  Seems the local internet company broadcasts internet to distant houses with antennas and all those houses have tri band routers rented from the company.  Worse, farmers are tinkerers.  No doubt they like adding amplifiers to their systems to get more range on 2.4ghz than is legal.

The spark doesn't have as robust a connection as the higher end drones.  There is no frequency hopping or dual control control receivers each listening to two channels like a pricier drone would have.  Distant flight enthusiasts should get a Mavic or Phantom for those flights beyond visual range (not that you are flying that far).
2017-11-17
Use props
Si...
lvl.1
United States

When i looked at the bands to see the red or green bars nothing appeared, it was blank or do i need to wait longer for it to appear?

There's plenty of videos on youtube of people flying the spark 4000ft away

I had the antennas straight out one with the flat side towards me one with the flat side away from me... is that ok ?
2017-11-17
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

today I had a RTH on 5.8gHz after just 30 meters straight up in my back yard , that will teach me not to fly with the parabolic reflectors on the antenna.

did a power off and back on of the drone , flitted the reflectors and flew out to 500 meters without issue.

i know from a wifi survey of my area many people are running tri-band wifi routers...........

2017-11-17
Use props
jangermann
lvl.3
Flight distance : 182680 ft
Denmark

Same here, also Denmark
2017-11-17
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Si... Posted at 2017-11-17 09:58
When i looked at the bands to see the red or green bars nothing appeared, it was blank or do i need to wait longer for it to appear?

Please connect your drone with DJI GO 4 and provide a screenshot of the wifi setting. Did you use OTG when you failed to see the channels? As UK is using CE certification,  the image transmission of spark in 2.4 G is 500 m.
2017-11-17
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Tony, please try to manually select the channel and ensure that most channels are green in the wifi setting. Did you try to set you phone in airplane mode? Please try to fly in 2.4 G and see if it get better.
2017-11-17
Use props
fanse7a62c7c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5360899 ft
United States

I’ve been having the same exact problem with my brand new drone! I am using an iPad as a device. Everything is great, but as soon as I start getting farther and farther away, but still well within the transmission range is when this issue happens! It’s pretty darn annoying and potentially dangerous! Have you had any resolution with yours? Thanks.
2017-11-17
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

'I had the antennas straight out one with the flat side towards me one with the flat side away from me... is that ok ?'

Eh, maybe I understand this wrong, but straight out, you not mean horizontal, do you?
The antenna needs to point in the direction of the drone, but not with the tip!
2017-11-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Vertical is where they should be when normal flying, if your spark is straight overhead you will get a better signal when horizontal.
2017-11-18
Use props
KrzysiekM
lvl.4
Poland

I wonder if this is the same issue: https://forum.dji.com/thread-120188-1-1.html
2017-11-18
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I was getting random warnings to update my log file but would blow it off since I was just about to fly.  I could see 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz options and the signal noise on the channels in each band (bars) when I finally did update it.

2.4ghz was too busy where I was out in the country.  I switched to 5.8ghz to get something with less noise on it (green bar and open channels next to it).  I think video is still on 2.4ghz as it often breaks up at 200 meters out or so.  It is too far to see the spark as more than a dot so I don't fly that far.  I would have to walk over to it to pilot it back if it lost video (the RC still linked securely).

People flying beyond their vision (4,000ft) are taking a risk and not flying it as a hobbyist.  They are violating see and avoid rules for pilots.  Rules that are designed to keep their aircraft and others safe.  When it fails to return,...tears of joy or sadness?  Little of column A, little of column B.

Perhaps the exciting videos are worth the random lost drone and airplane/helicopter strike.
2017-11-18
Use props
Si...
lvl.1
United States

Using OTG seemed to help ... I go to 120m up and about 50m away approx with any warnings issues
2017-11-20
Use props
Alldronez
lvl.2
United States

Are you using WiFi’s
2017-11-22
Use props
Alldronez
lvl.2
United States

are you using WiFi or OTG wire to connect transmitter to your “device”???
2017-11-22
Use props
TonyFonagerDK
lvl.3
Denmark

Alldronez Posted at 2017-11-22 17:15
are you using WiFi or OTG wire to connect transmitter to your “device”???

I primarily fly with wifi - and still encounter these connection errors.

This weekend I had it out less that 100 meters and both times it lost connection and initiated RTH.

Its getting to a point where I dont bother flying with my drone anymore ...

And I hate the thought of that .....
2018-2-5
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

TonyFonagerDK Posted at 2018-2-5 03:22
I primarily fly with wifi - and still encounter these connection errors.

This weekend I had it out less that 100 meters and both times it lost connection and initiated RTH.

It's different range for Spark in EU vs. US due to different legislation.
There are also people pimping their DJI GO app and/or Spark to fly further in Europe.
But the problem is, it's illegal and also might void your warranty.
That's how these Youtube European range records are achieved.
2018-2-5
Use props
TonyFonagerDK
lvl.3
Denmark

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-5 03:54
It's different range for Spark in EU vs. US due to different legislation.
There are also people pimping their DJI GO app and/or Spark to fly further in Europe.
But the problem is, it's illegal and also might void your warranty.

I get what you write - but going beyond 50-100 meters should not only be archieved using pimps / mods !
2018-2-5
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

TonyFonagerDK Posted at 2018-2-5 04:49
I get what you write - but going beyond 50-100 meters should not only be archieved using pimps / mods !

Totally agree, unfortunatelly DJIs attitude toward the android is really terrible. So if you need the longer range you have two options right now. Either get an iOS device or downgrade the Android DJI Go 4 App to 4.1.15 and use the OTG cable.
2018-2-5
Use props
gkrause
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102454 ft
Germany

hmm... I think since the last firmware update the flight distance has increased significantly.
On IOS without OTG cable and only with the original newest DJI Go-Software more than 400 meters were possible (then I interrupt the flight session).
Someone told about 800 m (!) (he made a video about it).
Perhaps you have a hardware issue?
2018-2-5
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

gkrause Posted at 2018-2-5 13:51
hmm... I think since the last firmware update the flight distance has increased significantly.
On IOS without OTG cable and only with the original newest DJI Go-Software more than 400 meters were possible (then I interrupt the flight session).
Someone told about 800 m (!) (he made a video about it).

I strongly suggest you read some post about the problems with a WiFi on android. The reality is that 5,8GHz band is restricted in europe (reserved for short ranged devices, the only reason why iPhone supports it is because it is violating this restriction) and no android phone ment for the EU is able to use it.

This is the reason why you are stuck on 5,8GHz between the RC and the Spark and due to really low allowed power for 5,8GHz band (FYI, american regulations allow 20x more power if I remember that correctly), my max range is about 50m before I start to get disconnects.

This is why I am stuck on older version of DJI GO 4 that still works with an OTG cable as well as most of European Android users and it makes DJI look really bad. Their hardware is the best but the software is totally kiling it.
2018-2-5
Use props
TonyFonagerDK
lvl.3
Denmark

Vyborny83 Posted at 2018-2-5 10:54
Totally agree, unfortunatelly DJIs attitude toward the android is really terrible. So if you need the longer range you have two options right now. Either get an iOS device or downgrade the Android DJI Go 4 App to 4.1.15 and use the OTG cable.

Vyborny : I do not fly with Android device - I fly using iPhone 8 Plus.
2018-2-5
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

This is my flight of about 1km in urban area:

And this one is at like 320m altitude in rural area:

I wish these could be achieved with stock DJI GO 4, but the bitter truth is you need to go pimped for such results.
2018-2-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-5 23:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UsRGbI-6as&t=3s

Very nice footage!
2018-2-6
Use props
TonyFonagerDK
lvl.3
Denmark

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-5 23:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UsRGbI-6as&t=3s

What do you mean "go pimped" ?
2018-2-6
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

TonyFonagerDK Posted at 2018-2-6 02:32
What do you mean "go pimped" ?

modded app.... it sucks, I know...
2018-2-6
Use props
TonyFonagerDK
lvl.3
Denmark

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-6 02:36
modded app.... it sucks, I know...

I did not know that was possible, but I also intend to follow the rules in the country I am flying in so ...
2018-2-6
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

TonyFonagerDK Posted at 2018-2-6 03:42
I did not know that was possible, but I also intend to follow the rules in the country I am flying in so ...

Understood... that's why I said, I wish it could work like that out of the box.
2018-2-6
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

i found issues flying in my back yard after upgrading my home wifi to a tri-band router , 200m max range in both 2.4 and 5.8ghz bands.

the parabolic reflectors i brought help me get out to almost 500m in built up areas but they are very directional so you need to be pointing in the right direction.

even testing the FCC mode i was still getting disconnected at 500m without the reflectors.
2018-2-6
Use props
TonyFonagerDK
lvl.3
Denmark

m1n1s Posted at 2018-2-6 05:03
i found issues flying in my back yard after upgrading my home wifi to a tri-band router , 200m max range in both 2.4 and 5.8ghz bands.

the parabolic reflectors i brought help me get out to almost 500m in built up areas but they are very directional so you need to be pointing in the right direction.

I can hear that I need to "test" more and maybe see what kinds of interferrance there are nearby ?

How would I do that ? with the DJI app ?
2018-2-6
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

TonyFonagerDK Posted at 2018-2-6 06:30
I can hear that I need to "test" more and maybe see what kinds of interferrance there are nearby ?

How would I do that ? with the DJI app ?

For Android, there is an app called "Wifi Analyser" that scans the area and shows you a signal strengths over the frequency range of interest.
2018-2-6
Use props
Haggi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

It's really sad DJI doesnt demand retailers i EU to advert correct specs about range..
Here is an example of a Spark in one of the biggest shops in Norway (not even Fly More Combo).

https://www.power.no/gaming-og-u ... EAQYASABEgKgMPD_BwE

Translated it claims "Up to 2 km range".. No wonder fresh pilots feel scammed!

2018-2-6
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-2-7
Use props
TonyFonagerDK
lvl.3
Denmark

El Diablo Posted at 2018-2-7 01:58
Everyone living in EU near or in a city has the same problem. the only way to fly the Spark in Europe without signal loss is to go to the countryside. The Ocusynk system used on the Mavic Pro is far superior to the WiFi system used in the Spark / Mavic Air. In EU the 5.8Ghz wifi channel is not supported and the 2.4Ghz one too busy...

What do you mean the 5.8 is not supported ?

I live en Denmark (EU) and I see the 5.8 selected in my settings ...
2018-2-7
Use props
primotheo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2270 ft
Hungary

I live in europe and i have the same problem , last time i wanted to take a picture of my house and after 60m high my spark started to lose the signal . i was too afraid so i took it back.
2018-2-7
Use props
TonyFonagerDK
lvl.3
Denmark

Okay, the last few night I have learned to calibrate the compass and the IMU.

I have also read / watched videos about whatever I could regarding to wifi settings and such ...

After his I had a perfect flight, more than 200 m out and 100 m up, without any issues.

That was nice for once to have a flight without it being interrupted midair and initiating RTH :-)
2018-2-8
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-2-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules