2040 8 2017-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Philjman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 113793 ft
Italy

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking at buying either a Spark or Mavic.  As I understand it VR head tracking for gimbal yaw/pan on the mavic (30deg Lft/Rt) won't work with any third party VR headset, only the DJI VR headset, is this correct?

If so is this something new in the firmware or is it likely to change?

My wife is sold on VR so the Spark is an easy win with her. I reckon I could convince her on the extra cost of a Mavic on the grounds of the additional head tracking gimbal yaw/pan but not if I also have to spend nearly half as much again on a DJI VR headset to get it to work.

Sorry if this question had been asked before but I couldn't find anything on it when i searched.
2017-11-17
Use props
romeotango
lvl.3
Flight distance : 64127 ft
Singapore

Hope this helps.
2017-11-17
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 332677 ft
United States

Can't you use Litchi and use your Samsung Gear VR or Google Cardboards and have something similar and cheaper? I don't know since I don't have Litchi, but it would be nice if someone could confirm for OP.
2017-11-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Both Mavic and Spark support Head Tracking Gimbal when connected with DJI Goggles. You can refer the screenshot of 3#.
2017-11-18
Use props
Philjman
lvl.1
Italy

That info is very useful thanks.
2017-11-18
Use props
Philjman
lvl.1
Italy

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-11-18 00:39
Both Mavic and Spark support Head Tracking Gimbal when connected with DJI Goggles. You can refer the screenshot of 3#.

But the Spark gimbal can only head track up/down (as it's only a 2 axis gimbal). As i understand it, left/right movement of any connected VR headset results in the whole Spark yawing left/rt.

But because the Mavic has a 3 axis gimbal I understand it is possible that left/rt movement of the VR headset results in the gimbal panning left/right (max 30deg either way) whilst the Mavic maintains a constant heading.

However I have read that this Mavic functionality is not possible with a 3rd party VR headset only with a DJI VR headset. Is this correct?
2017-11-18
Use props
Philjman
lvl.1
Italy

AEM74 Posted at 2017-11-17 23:03
Can't you use Litchi and use your Samsung Gear VR or Google Cardboards and have something similar and cheaper? I don't know since I don't have Litchi, but it would be nice if someone could confirm for OP.

I hope that is the case but I've read that the left/right gimbal head tracking (whilst the Mavic maintains a constant heading) is only possible when using a DJI VR headset.  

I hope what I've read is either wrong or I've misunderstood it.  But as I've not bought the drone yet I want to know for sure before I splash the cash.
2017-11-18
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

Please note the Mavic's amazing ability to compensate for the dreaded rolling shutter jello effect is lost when using head tracking. This means that any recordings using head tracking will probably be useless for any artistic purposes. For surveillance or scouting purposes this should not matter, however.
2017-11-18
Use props
romeotango
lvl.3
Flight distance : 64127 ft
Singapore

Philjman Posted at 2017-11-18 12:33
That info is very useful thanks.

You are welcome.
2017-11-18
Use props
Advanced